Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A coupla acres and a castle ruin

Options
  • 24-08-2005 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

So anyway a friend was saying that a fella up the country he knows says there's a local farmer selling a couple acres of good land that also has the ruins of an old castle on it.
    And that put all our minds dreaming obviously.
    We could gather a few of us and all chip-in on it, providing we could come up with the price and also agree on a plan for the site.

The initial idea proposed was to fix up the castle as a massive full-time project and sell it on.

Notwithstanding the monstrous naivete of this idea i've a few questions to put forth:

1) what sort of Planning Permission is required to do up a castle ruin?
    Obviously it can be done because i know of an old Norman castle that is today someone's residence.

2) Depending upon the answer to 1, I'd be loathe to allow a digger near the place without firstly having an archeological dig done. How in world would we organise this? And how badly would that set-back the plan? If this idea ever came to fruition there'd be some that wouldn't wish to bother with any of that stuff and would want to get stuck right in.

3) How would you make money off the other land? Sell it up, rent it to farmers? Farm something yourself?

Now in all seriousness this is probably going to fall thru, most likely we'll never get enough money together but what the heck, i can dream can't i?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭googie

have you seen the site? because when they say ruins they probably really do mean ruins. also, if it's an important historical site wont any development be restricted by duchas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

RedPlanet wrote:
    So anyway a friend was saying that a fella up the country he knows says there's a local farmer selling a couple acres of good land that also has the ruins of an old castle on it.
    We could gather a few of us and all chip-in on it, providing we could come up with the price and also agree on a plan for the site.

The initial idea proposed was to fix up the castle as a massive full-time project and sell it on.

Notwithstanding the monstrous naivete of this idea i've a few questions to put forth:

Obviously it can be done because i know of an old Norman castle that is today someone's residence.

2) Depending upon the answer to 1, I'd be loathe to allow a digger near the place without firstly having an archeological dig done. How in world would we organise this? And how badly would that set-back the plan? If this idea ever came to fruition there'd be some that wouldn't wish to bother with any of that stuff and would want to get stuck right in.

3) How would you make money off the other land? Sell it up, rent it to farmers? Farm something yourself?

Now in all seriousness this is probably going to fall thru, most likely we'll never get enough money together but what the heck, i can dream can't i?

If you need to ask those kind of questions, you really shouldn't be getting involved on such a project.

Even if you do find answers to all your questions, it'll probably be well sold (seeing as it's such a great investment) long before you've decided what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

googie wrote:
    have you seen the site? because when they say ruins they probably really do mean ruins. also, if it's an important historical site wont any development be restricted by duchas?

There are restrictions on what you'll be able to do but
    Dúchas was disbanded a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭googie

Where are you from???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

If you need to ask those kind of questions, you really shouldn't be getting involved on such a project.

Even if you do find answers to all your questions, it'll probably be well sold (seeing as it's such a great investment) long before you've decided what to do.

So what, because i don't know the planning laws and implications i'm wasting my time or have no right to try and involve myself?
    Perhaps you have all the answers and don't need to ask questions but if that were the case then why not give the answer, it'll save us all more time than your simply trying to put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

RedPlanet wrote:

if the building is listed then its a whole kettle of fish you don't want....

if its not ... then sounds like a very good plan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

RedPlanet wrote:
    So what, because i don't know the planning laws and implications i'm wasting my time or have no right to try and involve myself?

Perhaps you have all the answers and don't need to ask questions but if that were the case then why not give the answer, it'll save us all more time than your simply trying to put me off.

You can 'involve yourself' as much as you want. Question is, will you buy it?

And please don't let something someone says on a message board put you off your wonderful ideas! I don't have the answers, you're the one who'll have to provide them.

I hope your castle dream works out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

How much is the whole lot going for?

Wouldn't mind a castle and a few acres myself :)

Advertisement