Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eek! [China restricts online play]

Options
  • 24-08-2005 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=4913

lets hope that never ever ever catches on over here. although i suppose whats to stop someone from playing a console for a few hours while this resets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Good stuff.
    Save these people from themselves... if they need to be reminded to eat and sleep... and maybe move around once in a while, then so be it.
    I think they should add another one... if you play for more than 12 hours straight, the army come to your house and destroy your PC, pop you in a straight-jacket and bring you to gamers rehab.
    I could have used this treatment a few years ago, God help me playing TFC for 17 hours straight... I fear for people who're like that with mmorpgs, it's a pretty fúcked up way to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

17 hours straight? Dedication.

The last few nights I've been off work, been playing sof2 from 8 in the evening to half four in the morning.

Good times.

Roll on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Jaysus - theres plenty of WoW instances that can take more than 3 hours to complete in one sitting....

Dunno what's scarier - the fact that they're implementing it, or the fact they really think its necessary. Are the chinese net cafs really full of drooling teenagers desperate to get their next green fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Jaysus...i remember when i got BB first playing BF1942 until 5am, all night sessions of ET..BFV, and god help me when i got wow i played for hours. I guess when you think about it online gaming really can become an addiction like anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Tempting as it is to say 'crazy police state', but being hopelessly addicted to WoW at the moment I can actually see where they're coming from with that law and I'd almost agree with it. Almost.

It seems like a very difficult thing to implement though. I mean every game is different and it's asking a lot of the developers of various different games to put implementations of it into their game which may already be out when they should be devoting time to other things. It also completely doesn't work for certain types of games, anything other than RPGs basically. Be interesting to see how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good stuff.
    Save these people from themselves... if they need to be reminded to eat and sleep... and maybe move around once in a while, then so be it.
    I think they should add another one... if you play for more than 12 hours straight, the army come to your house and destroy your PC, pop you in a straight-jacket and bring you to gamers rehab.
    I could have used this treatment a few years ago, God help me playing TFC for 17 hours straight... I fear for people who're like that with mmorpgs, it's a pretty fúcked up way to live.

There have been times when I played WoW for over 30 hours straight but after a while my eyes just start to close and my re-action speeds are way down and repeated in game death often occurs. At this stage I fall into bed and usually sleep for half a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the chinese are just becoming aware of what people in Taiwan have been doing that has been involved in games. People dying from playing too much and people going out to a hardware shop to get a machete to kill someone after "pwning" them in a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

amp wrote:
    At this stage I fall into bed and usually sleep for half a day.
    ...and then you wake up like this guy --> (Pure Pwnage - episode 7) ;)

Advertisement