Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centra, .99c for a can!

Options
  • 24-08-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

haven't bought a can in a while, 99c for a feckin can, does that sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

no, i paid 85c for a can in maxol, still too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Cheapest I've seen is 86c for tesco 3% lager. Useless stuff...
    St Bernard lager isnt too bad, it's like a light beer and only 89c a can. Another good dirt-cheap lager is Biér d'Or. Per litre it works out very cheap and doesn't taste half bad either. All the other wee 25cl green bottles though (as in bier de france et al) are pure crapjuice.

For unbeatable prices however you can't beat homebrew. I'm brewing my own delicious (took a bit of practice to get it delicious though) rocketfuel for about 25c a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I assumed he meand a can of a soft drink.

0.99c for a can that's brilliant 99 cans for 1 euro. I'd advise you to stock up

Seriously
    99c in Centra Is not rediculous. cans were 60p when we changed to euro's which when you apply inflatin to it is pretty close to 1 euro.

Centra is a convenience store and as such is expensive. You pay for the convenience.

Go to Dunnes it's cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can of 7up, hmm, i still think 99c is alot.

60p is 76c

what's that, an increase of around 30%

imo, rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buy a bottle. Bottle of coke in tesco is 94c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

bottles in most shops are 1.30c

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I've been in Dublin 2 years now and cans were always 99c in say, Centra on Westmoreland Street in all that time. Bottles tend to be between €1.30 and €1.40. Try to buy soft drinks in supermarket where possible (i.e. Tesco on Baggot Street) and noticed the other day that bottles have finally hit the €1.00 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Never bought a can for more than 80/85 cents, are you sure you aren't buying them in grafton street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

But bottles are never as nice. Not sure why. Maybe they're too fizzy.
    I find a lot of shops now just stock bottles and might only stock cans of coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I realise that this is a slightly different situation, not being an everyday normal shop and all, but I was quite surprised when I was flying on Aer Lingus today and they sell cans for €1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

That's not bad for an airline!

Yes 99c is a rip-off. I often got a can in Centra opposite Connolly Station and would cost 85c - and only then because it seems to be the only shop in the city centre that sells cans of Britvic 55! (by the way if anyone knows anywhere else please tell me :)).
    The cost of minerals has gone though the roof, especially bottles - ridiculous prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A tray of 24 cans of coke costs me €7 from the cash and carry. That is around 30 cent each. They shops sell for almost 90 cent, equal to 300% profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

300% gross profit is needed to have a resonable return for the shopkeeper.
    The shopkeeperdoesn;t put 60 p into their back pocket for every can sold.

Don't know what it is but it would be much much less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

€7? thats a pretty good price for a cash and carry.
    I have a newsagents in whitehall, cans are 85c, and the contour bottles are 1.30.
    Different shops have different margins, and depending on what kind of margin you have on groceries, will determin the price of your stock.
    As pointed out already, Centra etc is a convenience store, if you want cheaper goto a supermarket. They buy in far higher quantities, therefore get better prices, therefore sell considerably cheaper.
    But then again how many people go to a supermarket for a can of coke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

300% gross profit is needed to have a resonable return for the shopkeeper.
    No, its not. Don't know where you heard that but is BS.

Shop = Goldmine

Yet another unofficial cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I was on holiday in the US and because they allow massive stores like walmart to operate over there, the cost of foods is dirt cheap....

2Ltr Bottle Coca Cola: Ireland E2.15 US $0.89c
    2Ltr Milk: " E2.00 US $0.55c
    Loaf Bread: " E1.89 US $0.15c
    Litre Petrol: " E1.10 US $0.45c

FECKING RIPOFF IRELAND IS WELL AND ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Access wrote:
    I can't think of alternate prices for the rest off the top of my head, but bread I can. Where are you paying €1.89 for a loaf of bread? You can get it for €0.35, if not less. Yes, it is still more than US $0.15, but it is hardly fair to compare the highest € price with the lowest $ price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Can of coke in tesco is only about 59cent. Just go into centre go to the deli and ask for a cup of water, thats what I do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Bond-007 wrote:
    A tray of 24 cans of coke costs me €7 from the cash and carry. That is around 30 cent each. They shops sell for almost 90 cent, equal to 300% profit.

I think you'll find the shopkeeper is making 66.6% gross profit.

He buys for €7, sell for €21 therefore his profit is €14.

€14 is 66.66% of €21.

The markup is 300% of the purchase price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Stekelly wrote:
    Buy a bottle. Bottle of coke in tesco is 94c.

I live in Amsterdam and I priced soft drinks in the supermarket today, 32c for a can of Coke and 59c for a 500ml bottle of Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

A store near me sell can of coke for 59c, went up by 2 cent since last year.
    Its crazy cheap compared to other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Access wrote:
    I was on holiday in the US and because they allow massive stores like walmart to operate over there, the cost of foods is dirt cheap....

2L milk in €1.19 in most supermarkets
    and bread 35 cents ... & 2L coke is about €1.60

Exaggerating these figures, gives ammo to groups like indepandant retailers group etc. and does no favours to anyone.

X

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Access wrote:

FECKING RIPOFF IRELAND IS WELL AND ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm..

2l milk in Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalu is 1.19
    a 2l bottle of Coke is only just over the euro or so in supermarkets,
    loaf bread is 75c in tesco !

Petrol is 1.21 in France ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i was in tesco and they have a 2litre bottle of tesco coke (there own brand) for 33c dosnt taste to bad either

parsi wrote:
    Petrol is 1.21 in France ;-)
    I was in Dubai a few weeks ago, where petrol is the equivalent of 22c per litre. Of course, there's several reasons for that being so cheap, with them producing oil and not having any tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Kahless wrote:
    with them producing oil

We produce Guinnes but it's still cheaper in other countries. Of course this is down to the Government screwing us royally with tax on Alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1huge1 wrote:
    i was in tesco and they have a 2litre bottle of tesco coke (there own brand) for 33c dosnt taste to bad either

Yeah, I was about to bring that up actually. I mean, its not AS good as coke, but it tastes far better then one would normally allow for something costing 33c. Compared to the price for 2ltr of coke....

Anyway. What the hell was with the above post about Milk being E2 per 2 litre and a loaf of bread 1.89?? Where are you getting those prices? :confused:

I'm sorry to say if you actually pay those prices you are an idiot. Really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, its true that in the US, you can get 2 litre bottles of soft drinks for < $1 before tax and bottle returns. However the price varies. It's really obvious that in the US, no central entity control of prices of things.

Meanwhile here, prices are much higher and less variable. If the price of a 2L bottle of Coke or Pepsi is €1.XX in one large store, you can predict with 100% certainty that it will be that price in another similarly sized store, and appraently the manufacturers are aware of this and design their marketing campaigns around it. That doesnt seem right.

And as to how I avoid getting ripped off for soft drinks? I go to Lidl and buy 2L bottles of Freeway which tastes almost idential to Coke. But it costs a hell of a lot less at €0.89.

If I'm going out, I fill up an old 500ml bottle or two with Freeway from a main bottle.

Yes, we're being subjected to rip-offs. But you are not defenseless

Advertisement