Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10.30 for €10 credit

Options
  • 24-08-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm sick of paying more than €10 for phone credit, 30c today, i've been charged 40c, bastards, realy pisses me off.

they dont all do it.

so far...

BUS STOP ON GRAFTON STREET
    CENTRA, AROUND THE CORNER FROM GRAFTON STREET
    NEWSAGENT IN MERRION CENTRE IN DONNYBROOK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

www.vodafone.ie

buy it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

i was charged 50 cent extra last weekend, couldn't believe it. i would always top up online, or top up at ATM, but in this case i wasn't able to.
    its disgraceful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Ask before you top up. Simple really. If they want your custom then they should not charge extra. If they say they do leave and get it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do they make profit off selling credit besides the 30c though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

A fair bit of the time if you top up for 20euro with vodafone, they'll give you an extra 2euro. Don't know why, but it's better than being charged 30cent for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

No but by offering to sell it they do get the customer throughput. Bigger stores tend not to charge as they can sustain it on impulse buys alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

This seems to be happening alot more now, I paid 50c for 5yoyo o2 credit in londis this morning from one of those new self service machines. It seems that phone credit is going the way of banklinks in convenience stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I thought that's what the situation is. People go to shops to buy credit and impulse usually trails along.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Buy at tescos checkout and get 10% extra free. €22 credit for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i used to be able to use bank link in work, but it's been replaced with one of those thieving ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

10.70 in ballyfermot (dublin ;)) didn't pay it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Board@Work wrote:
    Buy at tescos checkout and get 10% extra free. €22 credit for €20

It's €22 credit for €20 cash with Vodafone regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just go to Xtra-Vision, they dont charge extra

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IMHO This is one area there is no real point moaning about. There are alternatives who don't charge. Vote with your feet. :rolleyes: The advantage of somewhere like Tesco is that you also get Tesco points for it. Online is probably easiest if you have that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

cormie wrote:
    Do they make profit off selling credit besides the 30c though?

the charge thing arose a while ago.

the shops used to get around 15% which was cut to 5% by vodafone. (percentages could be slightly wrong).

so to keep making the same amount of money on topups shops added a charge because they were now gettting less of the vodafone money.

vodafone prob did this as they didn't see the need to give so much money to the shops, and they would be right since there are loads of way to topup.
    and as mentioned before lots of shops don't charge the extra either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

It seems that phone credit is going the way of banklinks in convenience stores.

I know it's not the main topic, but I've never, ever encountered an in-store cash dispenser that charges extra.

Can someone tell me where there is one so I can have a look?

I thought it was a nonsense story in the Evening Herald that they later had to retract.

normaly i would use a bank machine or the web, but there are times when you're stuck and have to use these sheisters.
    is_that_so wrote:
    IMHO This is one area there is no real point moaning about. There are alternatives who don't charge. Vote with your feet. :rolleyes: The advantage of somewhere like Tesco is that you also get Tesco points for it. Online is probably easiest if you have that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Don't see this mentioned but the Post Office is where I usually top up.
    No fees there either.

The first time I bought it in a shop they were looking for an extra 40c. I told them to keep it and that I could get it in the PO for no extra charge.(PO was almost right beside them)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

paperclip wrote:
    normaly i would use a bank machine or the web, but there are times when you're stuck and have to use these sheisters.

From your original post sounds like you've been stuck at least three times. Begs the question of why don't you plan a little better and buy your credit from someone who doesn't charge, maybe before you get "stuck"?

The term rip off has become so overused today as to lose its meaning. Merchants will charge different prices for their goods and services, thankfully we don't live in a planned economy where prices are fixed. There are alternatives (plenty of them by the sounds of things) to paying this fee, so use them and stip rewarding the shops who do levy it. And if you do get stuck, use a payphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they do make money on the credit. as themole said they started to charge extra after the percentage was cut. i use aib text top up. dead handy. a little too handy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

mace wxford st dont charge or vodafone shops

cause i'm not german
    Begs the question of why don't you plan a little better and buy your credit from someone who doesn't charge, maybe before you get "stuck"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

paperclip wrote:
    cause i'm not german

Whine away so. It'll achieve so much... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

i work in a place the sells top ups and we roughly make €1.95 on a € 10 top up card, we dont even have to pay for the paper as we are supplied that free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

get it of vodafone.ie (assuming your with vodafone) with your credit card much easier and its instant

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the Post Office doesn't charge extra either.

Set up "Text Top-Up" with your Bank if they offer 24hr/Internet banking. it costs €10 for €10 credit, no charges, you only need to send 2 free texts to top up your phone and very frequently they have offers on with 10-25% free credit. I haven't seen a paper top-up slip in years!

Advertisement