Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi Fi Peer tot Peer

• 24-08-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I know its a newbie question, but can anyone tell me how to set up a peer to peer network between my two wi fi enabled laptops

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

well without an access point you must set them to a special mode and ffs i can't remember it. Is it adhoc? Anyways once you've this done you just have to set up similer IP range and i believe it should be ok then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

I know Iam gonna sound like a Idiot saying this but how excatly do i do this

firstly with a acces point

Secondly without

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Are you using Windows XP?

its simple. Get an access point, set it up (manual) and then you will be able to connect laptops together. It isn't a big deal tbh. Just as long as you read the manual.

edit - look here http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I'd be interested in how to do it without the access point. Straight peer to peer. Can it be done?

• Advertisement

Board@Work wrote:
    I'd be interested in how to do it without the access point. Straight peer to peer. Can it be done?
    Yes.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1451421

Yes Iam using Xp. one of my laptops automatically conects to any avaliable wireless networks. When I turn wifi on. On both computers. The one that atomatically connexts tells me Iam conected to my second laptop. But Iam not able to acces any files on it

Oh I see, then just enable file sharing. Right click on the folder/drive you want to share and select share. You must click a few things then to say you know what you are doing and its straight forward from there. If that doesn't work, then maybe firewalls are causing trouble. Can you ping the other computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I had to do a registry edit to fix mine
    pm me if you want to know how to do it

I know i'am gonna sound like a dope saying this but how do I "PING"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Open the run box (Windows-R)

Then type ping [other computer name or IP]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hi ccd, I remembered your question while I was testing some software this morning and stumbled across the set up for peer to peer wireless networking i.e. without the need for an access point.
    There are several ways to get to the Networking window in WinXP. Either open the Control Panel > Networking and right click on the appropriate network device.
    Or right click on appropriate network in System Tray (bottom right).

Either way, select properties, which opens a new window "Wireless Network connection properties". There are 3 tabs here: General, wireless networks and Advanced. Select "Wireless networks". Look at the preferred networks section in the bottom half. When you push the "Add" button you get a new window and at the bottom ot this window you will see a check box for a computer to computer network, no AP needed.

Let us know if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...jebus...2 days and it doesn't like you're getting anywhere too fast...

Created: http://dparker.net/AdHoc/ -> there are other variations of method, and goodness knows there's likely to be a few errors in what i slapped together, but i hope it helps. If not, PM me and we'll see what we can sort out (I'll probably on check Boards on the weekends though..so i hope you're not in too much of a rush ;) )

a_ominous wrote:
    Hi ccd, I remembered your question while I was testing some software this morning and stumbled across the set up for peer to peer wireless networking i.e. without the need for an access point.
    There are several ways to get to the Networking window in WinXP. Either open the Control Panel > Networking and right click on the appropriate network device.
    Or right click on appropriate network in System Tray (bottom right).

Either way, select properties, which opens a new window "Wireless Network connection properties". There are 3 tabs here: General, wireless networks and Advanced. Select "Wireless networks". Look at the preferred networks section in the bottom half. When you push the "Add" button you get a new window and at the bottom ot this window you will see a check box for a computer to computer network, no AP needed.

Let us know if that works.

I have done this and set up a peer to peer before. But I cant acces any files on the second laptop

Did you try the pinging to see if the computers can communicate?

No. Ill try that tonight

Advertisement