Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online System to manage website

Options
  • 24-08-2005 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hiya,

Could anyone recommend to me a freeware tool that allows you to build your website online(i.e not via ftp). I would need to be able to upload files and preferrably the app would provide a web based front-end to my ..\public_html\ directory?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do you mean some kind of content management system?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

that sounds like a good name for it ya??!!
    I don't want it to create the website for me or anything
    just give me access to the site's directory.

Could you recommend one pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

PHP/ASP/JSP/Insert "SP" of choice here?

There are a lot of CMS to choose from. Have a look at: http://tinyurl.com/cgobb

It may help narrow down your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Sounds like moochie's looking for a file managment system rather than a full CMS to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

if your hosting provides some kind of control panel, there should be a file manager.. like cPanel... you can upload/dload/delete/add/chmod.. etc...

Unfortunately my hosting does not have any control panel. I think what i need is a mix between both content management and file management system. The basic things i need to be able to do are:
    • Add/Delete/Rename Files on server
    • Update/Edit Files
    • Upload files to server

Anything else is a bonus!

I need to be able to access this via web-browser(i.e http) because ftp is blocked in work.

Thanks for all the replies, can anyone suggest a specific solution?

Cheers

moochie wrote:
    Unfortunately my hosting does not have any control panel. I think what i need is a mix between both content management and file management system. The basic things i need to be able to do are:
    • Add/Delete/Rename Files on server
    • Update/Edit Files
    • Upload files to server

Anything else is a bonus!

I need to be able to access this via web-browser(i.e http) because ftp is blocked in work.

Thanks for all the replies, can anyone suggest a specific solution?

Cheers

Change hosting provider? :D

The hosting i have at the minute is a college thing and i don't use the site enough to pay for any other hosting. Will do in the future!

• Advertisement
Advertisement