Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devin Townsend / Strapping Young Lad

• 24-08-2005 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I just remembered, Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend's Solo stuff is something I've been meaning to get into for a while. First time I heard them, I thought they were crap, but I heard some more again after that I quite liked it altogether, but I just damn well forgot to check them out further! :D

Anyway, I've downloaded all the official mp3s from www.hevydevy.com and I have to grab some albums sharpishly. Play.com only have "Alien" by SYL, but they have all the Devin Townsend solo stuff in a 3 for £20 offer, so recommendations please! What's the best albums altogether, and how's the DVD aswell?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Been meaning to check them out myself. Although that Vai album he was on sucked humongoballs, Gene Hoglan rarely contributes to anything ****. The hair is a worry though :p

devintownsend.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Alien kicks ass in my books, I'd get that. The Devin Townsend Band is completely different from SYL though, DTB is ambient stuff.

(also, Sex & Religion kicks ass!! But I'd be a little biased anyway, anything by Vai is brilliant imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

TBH I haven't heard Sex & Religion in years but that "I'm a zulu! He's a zulu!" thing haunted my dreams for a long long time **shudders**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I remember seeing SYL on Super Rock on MTV years ago and hating them. That said my tastes have changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

When I first heard SYL I wasn't impressed but I would now consider myself a big fan.
    Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing: not bad but I'd only recommend if you have all other albums
    City: in my opinion their best album, essential stuff, play loud!
    No Sleep Till Bedtime:
    live album, ok but I recommend buying the SYL Live at the Commodore DVD instead
    SYL:
    not their most consistent album but a good one nonetheless, sometimes underrated
    Alien:
    great album, second only to City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

That "Infinity" album seems quite good, but I only heard a few songs off it.
    Ocean Machine and Physicist are supposed to be good, but I haven't heard anything by either.

If you can find anything by Zimmers Hole get that... If I remember the band is basically SYL without Devin Townsend, they had some great songs, kinda like a comedy side project... eg 1000 miles of cock (so that doesn't really help if you're looking for solo Devin Townsend).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ok, I finally got around to getting something, and got the self titled. Suffice to say, I've already got Alien and For Those Aboot To Rock on the way, and City is probably the next album I'll buy when I've got money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Watching you...wanting you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giblet wrote:
    Watching you...wanting you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Doctor J wrote:
    Been meaning to check them out myself. Although that Vai album he was on sucked humongoballs, Gene Hoglan rarely contributes to anything ****. The hair is a worry though :p

devintownsend.jpg

What.....you've got a problem with Klingons? :p

Klingons are ****ing METAL tbh. Just look at Eric Rutan:

vegas_feb42001_rutanlive2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'd whole-heartedly recommend "city" and "alien" by SYL. alien has a pretty nifty "making of" dvd too, which features more of byron the bassist then the equivilant fear factory "making of" dvd interestingly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have Alien but I've never given it a proper listen. Must do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Ive the self titled album, sucks major balls imo.They're a boring bunch tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Terria is an amazing album. If you dig the lusher sounds of Type O's October Rust and such you might plug into it. The whole album floats on air, its amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Eh...?

I believe he was (ahem) singing "in my dreams with you" from Sex & Religion, dear.
    'cos Devin and all . . .
    anyway, I'll be off, so.

Sofaspud wrote:
    I believe he was (ahem) singing "in my dreams with you" from Sex & Religion, dear.
    'cos Devin and all . . .
    anyway, I'll be off, so.

Ah, don't have that album. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

SYL - Get City and Alien

DTB - Accelerated Evolution is genius

Advertisement