Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdresser dilemma-two different stories!

• 24-08-2005 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    OK, here's my problem:
    A few months ago, I decided I wanted highlights in my hair (my hair was it's natural colour at the time-very dark brown). I couldn't sfford to get the highlights done professionally so I did them myself with a streaking kit from the chemist's. The result was awful-patchy orange/yellow stripes in my hair! So I dyed over them with a brown semi-permanent.

About a month or two ago the semi-permanent dye was washing out and the streaks were becoming obvious so I went to a hairdresser's (a very well-known and famous branch) for a full head of meche highlights. The hairdresser said that because my hair colour was so patchy, the highlights would be patchy too, and that my only option was to let my hair grow out and keep getting it cut. So I left it.

Last week I decided to get a second opinion, so I went to a different (non-famous) hairdresser's to see if I could get highlights done. The hairdresser there said that my patchy streaks would be less obvious if I had highlights in the rest of my hair, than if the rest of my hair was brown.

Basically, what I want to know is, who is right?

Thanks

Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd say you should listen to the first opinion, waiting another little while and then getting perfect highlights would be a much better option that getting them now and having them not as good as they could be.
    Sure hair grows quickly, be patient and itll pay off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

But my hair is really long, so growing it out would take years!
    There was a third hairdresser who said it would be grand if it was all dyed brown and then highlighted.

Go for the third option so, you can expect your hair will be in bits for a while cause of all the dyes and stuff put through it, so make sure you get a reaallly good conditioner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sounds abit dodge. It will possbily work but there's a chance it will go wrong. Just take the chance I suppose, if you really want the highlights. You will really need to condition your hair with all the dye that's its been getting.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to take myself into Boots or something afterwards and get a really good conditioner.

• Advertisement

Get one from the salon, they'll have the best ones, though they might be a little pricey, do it for your hairs sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i have had bad experiences with top "well known hairdressers" i kept going back to different ones thinking they would be better, but it turns out the not so well known ones are better.
    the people there are more down to earth, than the stuck up, sour faced ones in the "top" salons.

Yeah I've gotta agree with Femmy on that one-the hairdressers in the "top" salon seemed to look down their nose at me for dying my own hair. I'm a student! I'm on a budget! Why are meche highlights so expensive anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

hey just on the subject of highlights im thinking of getting them done but a little nervous. My hair is naturally blonde but its gotten darker recently and is now light brown with some blonde high lights from the sun.
    Id like to get a half head of blonde highlights but im worried the result might be a bit drastic.Id like it to look natural not an obviously bleached blonde look.
    How do you think it would turn out, should i go for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

option 3...
    go all over brown/blonde with a permanent hair colour then get highlights
    use a really good conditioner also to counteract drying effect colouring has on hair.

totally agree with posters sayin that well known nationwide salons arent that good.
    imo places like peter marks etc. treat like its an assembly line they want you in and out as quick as possible and only do a halfassed job without even as much as a smile.
    what has the country come to eh??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i use peter marks all the time and have found them brillant yeah some dont care but in all hairdressers you'll get people like that! but ive found a local branch of peter mark and have had 2 different hairdressers and they're both brillant and full of smiles!! so just look around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I've found the same of "top" hair salons. I've found that they have a certain cut of the season and no matter what your hair type or what you ask for they are going to give you that cut.

It is particularly difficult for me as I have curly hair. Most hairdresser's haven't a clue what they are doing when faced with curly hair. To this cost I have to travel down to Cork from Dublin to get my hair done. In Cork, I found a hairdresser who listens to me (this part was shocking :p) and does a great job on my hair.

To the OP, I'd say go for the premanent brown over the patchy highlights and then the meche. It might be an idea to give your hair sometime between the two though.

A.

I think option 3 might be the best too. It's by far the most expensive (which is the bit that puts me off) but the high price is only a once-off because there is another salon nearby that is half price at the model nights. My hair is only going to need to be dyed brown once. Thanks for the advice guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

checked this out with my sister for you - she trained with Charles Worthington & now owns her own salon, she said to go for a preminate veg based all over dye first (advised that the wella salon brand is the best for your hair - doesn't dry it out as much) & then if you still want the highlights just get a few pulled in over it. it's because home dye kits are so hard on the hair that you were told this by option 1. Oh & do get a really good conditioner - & if you have a few extra quid, one of the repair masks to use once a week.

Thanks a mill Ravenhead, there are a couple of salons near me that use Wella so I will definitely go for that vegetable dye. My hair is in decent-ish nick at the minute but it's always just tossed into a ponytail, once I'm back in college I'll be blow-drying it etc for nights out so it'll need all the help it can get!

Advertisement