Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

Options
  • 24-08-2005 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

How do you go about repeating? Im seriously thinking about it but dont want to do it in my same school, any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

i would personally do it at home on my own this yr cause i felt that alot of time was wasted listening to teachers in class, i felt i learned more by studying on my own, but that was just me i suppose, different strokes for different folks and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SineadSligo

Is there anyway that I can just resit 2 exams?
    Without having to do the whole hassle of repeating?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

oh yeah definatly. howevr if you want them for pionts you cant. as far as i know, for points you must sit all subjects intended for points in one yr eg cannot mix points from different subjects in different yrs. however if you need to repeat these subjects to pass course requirements eg need a b3 in maths then its grand. may have explained it badly but you know wat i mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i would personally do it at home on my own this yr cause i felt that alot of time was wasted listening to teachers in class, i felt i learned more by studying on my own, but that was just me i suppose, different strokes for different folks and all that

Yep, i'd have to agree with you fully there. A year doing 9-4 five daysa week on your own? 9a1s no bodge..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

its pretty unlikely that most people would have the willpower to do 9-4 days for 8 months or whatever it is

you would tell yourself ahh ill get up at 10,then it would be 11....ill just take this extra half an hour break here since i wanna watch <random program> and slowly but surely by january you probably wouldnt be doing much more than an hour or 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

^
    Yep, that's me, lol. Some people are more disciplined, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Need advice - I got 560 last year, spent a year doing a course I didn't want (I applied for medicine and missed it). Now I'm thinking of just quitting it, and repeating. The subjects I've studied will definitely be of major help to me in some of my repeat subjects, but what does everyone else think - I really want medicine but am afraid I won't/ can't come up much more than 560 and might be wasting a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

thats a really tough choice. Just to scare u i have heard of people repeating twice for medicine and not getting it either time. I think if its what u really want, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

You can only use points for 1 year for your points can't you? Ie. you can't focus on 3 for a year, get 3 A1s and then the next year study for an A1 in the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Need advice - I got 560 last year, spent a year doing a course I didn't want (I applied for medicine and missed it). Now I'm thinking of just quitting it, and repeating. The subjects I've studied will definitely be of major help to me in some of my repeat subjects, but what does everyone else think - I really want medicine but am afraid I won't/ can't come up much more than 560 and might be wasting a year.

My opinion would be to repeat and try for medicine again. A friend of mine didn't get the required points for medicine this year. They're repeating because the only thing they want to do is medicine. If it's what you want, keep trying 'til you succeed.

Doing 6th year again is just one year of getting what you want. Going to college and doing a course you didn't want was, I won't say a *waste* of a year because it was an experience for you, but if you continue doing a course you do not want to pursue your career in, that would be a waste..

Good luck anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

In reply to the OP, i repeated my leaving cert in 2001/02 after missing out on mechanical engineering due to random selection, What was worse was the CAO guy said over the phone that I was "fairly close" to the top of the list. Some may object to the lottery system of random selection, but i guess there is no real alternative solution. I was bummed and know how you feel right now: like someone has kicked you really hard in the nuts (if your a girl, apologies).

I went to the institute for a year (which is great if you can afford it) with two friends, one of whom took out a loan if money is a concern for you. I was convinced at the start that one or two people would create a vacancy in my course and that the institute would be a "temporary" thing. At first it feels embarassing to tell your friends and family you are repeating, but looking back I think it takes people a lot of courage to say "I didnt get the course I want, but im going to swallow my pride and work harder to reach my goals". It may sound cheesy, but i think people who repeat and choose not to "settle" for a course they dont want are not failures. Its a tough choice, but you will thank yourself in years to come.

Anyway, a year later, and with a slightly better work ethic, i got into the civil/mechanical course in UCD. It was a tough year, one with good and bad memories, but my friends and more importantly my family were always there to offer support when needed. Now I can't imagine not having repeated, I wouldn;t have made the great friends in college that I have now, plus your school friends will still be there when you get into college.

So, well done for pursuing your college ambitions, the institute is a fantastic choice if u decide to go for it (get Martin Kelly for some english), but remember that changing school is only a small part of it. The big difference has to be your attitude to work (and stick to the past papers for any older courses, i dont know how much it has changed since my day :) but the english sample papers were very close to the redesigned paper).

In response to medicine chap; have u considered the "back door" approach through a science degree? Repeating for med can turn into a bit of a russian roulette affair. Also, be 100% sure you want to do medicine. My sister is a final year and her attitude to it has changed dramaticallly since starting. I believe she dislikes the rotations in hospitals, the clinical side which is of course a huge part of being a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you don`t go for what you want you will regret it in later life.

Advertisement