Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Breeze now in Letterkenny

• 24-08-2005 8:21pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

For anyone interested (anyone? )

IBB emailed me today to say that they now have their Breeze service up and running in Letterkenny and it's a free install until end of August.
    We now have our Breeze service live for sale in Letterkenny and your address at xxxxxxxxxx should be within our coverage.
    If you would like to order you can call me on xxxxxxxxxx or you can fax the order form to 01 481 8401.

PS, Installation is free until the 31st of August!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Here in Raphoe we have been IBB customers off the Strabane mast since April. If you are in Letterkenny for goodness sake stick to Eircom! It has been an absolute disaster here. Countless phone calls, broken promises etc. Our old ISDN would have been faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

andmor wrote:
    Here in Raphoe we have been IBB customers off the Strabane mast .

I'd be surprised if any wireless signal worked between Strabane and Raphoe. It would be interesting to know where the mast is for letterkenny.

We were surprised as well but at least 5 others in this area have been receiving a good enough signal from Sheriff Mountain.
    As far as I know they are using the tv mast on Mongorry Hill to cover Letterkenny. In fact we have set up a local broadband scheme for them to include Raphoe and Convoy areas as well. As they have won the contract for the school broadband in Letterkenny they are winning on all fronts, as the grant for our scheme is worth €40,000 approx.

However in view of the dismal speeds which we are now receiving I would not be inclined to subscribe to them again. :mad:

I have someone in Lettekenny who is thinking of signing up. The question is whether or not Breeze is good enough to use. Are many of the complaints seen here due to over-subscription and particular sites or I wonder if there are people out there getting constantly good service?

Do you mean five others get a good signal but you don't?

I've more or less recommended him to get it as we don't know when Smart Telecom will be available.

where is Mongorry - is that the mast seen from the ballybofey road just outside letterkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The problem is that when it goes wrong it will be very difficult to get IBB to rectify it. If you ignore the upload speed, IBB is only marginally cheaper than BT and it seems once BT figures out how to enable the service, it works.

Well I can speak for ourselves (on the so-called 2MB service) and a neighbour about 1/2 mile away, who is on the 1MB. We both signed on at about the same time and were both happy campers for the first month but both very unhappy ever since.

Mongorry is indeed the mast you see on the Ballybofey - Letterkenny road.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

andmor wrote:
    Well I can speak for ourselves (on the so-called 2MB service) and a neighbour about 1/2 mile away, who is on the 1MB. We both signed on at about the same time and were both happy campers for the first month but both very unhappy ever since.

Mongorry is indeed the mast you see on the Ballybofey - Letterkenny road.
    Ah

A few weeks ago I had seen 2 IBB vans working at the ESB substation on the way to Ballybofey from Letterkenny (on top of the long hill). Maybe they put a link there as they're using ESB fibre for backhaul.

I got the email a few weeks too late as I'm now an Eircom BB user, after trying to get the disaster that is BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I wouldn't touch IBB with a fallen eircom pole considering that Smart will be in Letterkenny before the end of the year from what I can tell.

I wouldn't touch IBB with a fallen eircom pole considering that Smart will be in Letterkenny before the end of the year from what I can tell.

Smart were supposed to be in Letterkenny by August and still no sign.
    AndMore wrote:

What problems do you have? Does mast distance make a difference or is it possibly contention?

• Advertisement

No the reception must be good enough as we were receiving download speeds of 1700 - 1800 in the first month with good upload speed as well. After that speeds have been down in the ISDN range, even less than we were getting with satellite broadband from Digiweb last year.

From reading the various posts in this forum it would appear to be a common Irish Broadband tactic to get people signed up, give them a "honeymoon" period of good speeds for a month or two and then the speed is dropped without warning. Whether this is due to over subscription, lack of bandwidth etc. is for others to speculate. We are just fed up with them. We have spent hours on the telephone and been promised everything and given every excuse in the book but still they have not restored our original service. We have lodged an official complaint with ComReg and are considering legal action. If we were in Letterkenny there is no way we would touch IBB with a barge pole. Surely even Eircom would be better?!?!

If you are passing Raphoe anytime let me know and I can show you the emails etc. etc. :cool:

He has decided to go ahead in any case and Smart have emailed saying that they won't be in Letterkenny this year.

I've seen a few threads since where some people are happy with IBB and I can't imagine that every customer is totally unhappy. I will advise him to maintain a regular monitor on the speeds/pings.

If it works all well and good - if not then then low cap dsl becomes a reality.

Advertisement