Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

depreciation on a new car

Options
  • 24-08-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

Just looking for a ballpark figure. If you got a new car (say around 20 - 25k, ford focus), what is the depreciation likely to be after a year. I would expect around 15-20%. I know someone who claims to buy a new car every year, selling the one he bought the previous year and only having to add "a few grand" to the price. I reakon he's talking out his arse. (assume 10-15k miles in the year)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It depends on what you trade it in against but on average I would say you will loose at leaset €3,500 in the first year.

Doesn't make any sense to buy a new car every year, a car looses more in the first year than any other year of it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What bazz said. Ballpark for a €25k Focus deprecation is (year 1, year 2, etc.)
    €5k, €4k, €3k, €2.5k, €2k, €2k, €1.5k, €1k, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I misread the title and read - "Decapiation in a new car"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote:
    What bazz said. Ballpark for a €25k Focus deprecation is (year 1, year 2, etc.)
    Val. Dep. Year.
    25 €5k, 0
    20 €4k, 1
    16 €3k, 2
    13 €2.5k, 3
    10.5 €2k, 4
    8.5 €2k, 5
    6.5 €1.5k, 6
    5 €1k, etc. 7
    4 8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Buy a vw golf base 1.4 cash with the full 1200 euro discount and watch it loose about 2 grand in year 1, any other car expect 4ish +

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

I misread the title and read - "Decapiation in a new car"

Thanks for sharing that, ever closer to 4000 posts now :)

Advertisement