Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Hardware / Software Issues Thread

Options
  • 24-08-2005 10:19pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

If you come across a problem like this, post it here and we'll see what can be done to help. I'm hoping to use this as a form of database for graphics related issues so that other posters who may stumble across similar problems, beit with hardware or software, may be able to find a quick solution or even some idea as to what could be wrong.

Also, you should always ensure that:
    1. Your current version of Windows has been updated to the latest version. (www.microsoft.com)
    2. Ensure that your system specifications meet or beat the mimimum requirements of any Game / Program you are trying to run.
    3. All graphics hardware has been updated with the latest drivers which are generally avaliable via your hardware brand website.
    4. You have at least 25%-50% free hard drive space. Also, defragmenting your drive once in a while may help speed up loading times of most programs, so try to do this on a regular basis (Once a week or two at least).
    5. All hardware has been installed securely.
    6. All software has been installed without error.
    7. Perform a system error check and make sure you have set a system restore point before any major changes to your hardware / software configurations.
    8. Perform a regular Spyware / Adware / Virus checkup on a regular basis.
    9. Always read the avaliable help information supplied with new products - You'll be suprised at what one can miss by ignoring the little details :)
    Now, this thread is for Hardware and Software related issues in regards to graphics, not the overall running of your PC :)
    If your monitor exploded because you somehow managed to pour tea all over it, and feel compelled to post here, that post will be moved / deleted on the spot.

Now, feel free to post up past or present problems!
    Also, any handy links that would benefit to this thread will also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I currently have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis GFX card which runs pretty well on my old AMD Athalon 1.3ghz Proccessor (768MB RAM), but I soon discovered that a specific option, 'Fast Write' (avaliable in the SMARTGART tab of my display properties) would actually cause my PC to freeze up within five minutes of turning my PC on...

When I first installed the card this utterly confused me, as I had no idea what was going on, but thanks to the help of a fellow Boardster, and later discovering a handy topic regarding fast write, I discovered that the problem simply lay in the GFX Card becoming massively overheated and eventually shutting itself down.

Im currently trying to get myself one or two big fans and will try stripping my PC down to the bare bone in order to see if this theory holds true. Although Fast Write is said to only provide a minor performance boost, I still find the overall capabilities of the GFX card rather limited despite having all D3D and OpenGL 3D settings all turned right to the very minimum, so I'm willing to try and get Fast Write working in the event that it may help cure some of this slow down.

That is just one issue I thought I'd share, and on that note, I'll fire up a link to a document regarding PC cooling.
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/maxpc/cooling.asp

There was a Fast Write document there somewhere but I couldn't find it.
    Also, the PCPitstop it quite a handy site if you'd like to try your hand at some of the avaliable tests they supply (The virus checker being a good one to keep tabs on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Current problem.
    I have a laptop with a widescreen monitor and Warcraft III is running 'wide' instead of at a normal 4:3 with black bars on the sides. I'm running the latest Omega drivers with a X1600. Anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisement