Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan <-> Ireland VoIP solution?

• 24-08-2005 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be living in Japan for a year from next month and am looking into ways of staying in touch with people back in Ireland. I've looked at Skype, and it sounds too good to be true - especially the SkypeOut option.

So basically I was wondering if Skype is worth going for? The folks here have broadband, and at the moment I don't know if I will, or if it will be firewalled (hence my interest in skypeout, calls to a japanese mobile are 2c/minute or something). Are there any problems or things I should be aware of when using skype? Are there better alternatives for what I want to do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

imho Gizmo might* be the better option than Skype - have a peek at this thread Project Gizmo Challenges Skype.
    As was stated: gizmo2gizmo and skype2skype calls are free, but also gizmo2sip and I assume sip2gizmo (gizmo SIP address) calls are free.

This guy reviews some aspects of gizmo and skype here.
    For a more thorough comparison read this article - although the author of that article does have vested interest ;)

*Skype is that bit cheaper for calls to Japan and Ireland.
    Gizmo :
    Japan
    Land | Mobile
    0.029 | 0.199

Land | Mobile
    € 0.0221 | € 0.144

Depending on your call requirements (PC-PC) another possibility is using one or other of ICQ/AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and soon Google - Instant Messengers with VoIP.

You said you're going to be in Japan, you want to keep in touch with Ireland, and you mentioned calls to Japanese mobiles.
    But which tool(s) to choose ultimately depends on where and using what devices your calls originate and terminate...

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It might also be worth looking at the 076 numbers you can get with blueface as it will mean those in Ireland can call you to an Irish number and not worry about the internation call price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thanks for the help guys!

I suppose until I find out what sort of connection I'll have at my end I can't really make a decision.

Is it true that the geographical distance between Ireland and Japan will result in a degree of latency when using Skype? I've done a little bit of reading-up, and it appears this is a somewhat common disadvantage of skype. Is it true? Is it common? Do the other voip solutions suffer the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

We use Skype here to the UK and the states and it's perfectly fine. There maybe upto a second lag on skype to Japan imo, but I think you could live with it, once you get used to it. You should save a fortune!

You will probably end up with a kickass broadband line (10m/bit?). Best of luck!

Advertisement