Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting Speakers?

Options
  • 24-08-2005 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a set of 6x9 Sony speakers & want to fit them as soon as I receive my head unit from ebay.

I'm going to mount them on the rear parcel shelf but have a few questions about wiring them. Cutting the shelf to slot them in shouldn't be a problem but wiring is.

The problem is I don't know if it would be better to run the wires under the carpet or through the doors. I was thinking that the doors would be the best/easiest bet but I'm afraid of breaking the interior on the doors when taking them off. Anyone know how best to take the interior door panel off?

How much would it cost to get it professionally done?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dceire wrote:
    I recently purchased a set of 6x9 Sony speakers & want to fit them as soon as I receive my head unit from ebay.

I'm going to mount them on the rear parcel shelf but have a few questions about wiring them. Cutting the shelf to slot them in shouldn't be a problem but wiring is.

The problem is I don't know if it would be better to run the wires under the carpet or through the doors. I was thinking that the doors would be the best/easiest bet but I'm afraid of breaking the interior on the doors when taking them off. Anyone know how best to take the interior door panel off?

How much would it cost to get it professionally done?

There are screw holding on the interior for the doors.. but why would you run wires to the back of the car via the doors?

run them along the edge of the floor of your car, under the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

And how would you run them through the door's ? :S How would the door's open. Under carpet is the best plan.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Before you start cutting and ripping, examine the car wiring, you may have the wires you need already in place but unused in teh wiring loom. Unless you are going for monster cables, etc.

Not sure what you are planning for the doors, but if you are planning on adding door speakers, you can get tools to remove the pegs without damaging the panel, so long as you remove any screws that there may be, first.
    also, examine the door before purchasing any speakers as there may be a spot for thim in the pressed steel already and/or clearance between glass, winder motors etc may be very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Before you start cutting and ripping, examine the car wiring, you may have the wires you need already in place but unused in teh wiring loom. Unless you are going for monster cables, etc.

Not sure what you are planning for the doors, but if you are planning on adding door speakers, you can get tools to remove the pegs without damaging the panel, so long as you remove any screws that there may be, first.
    also, examine the door before purchasing any speakers as there may be a spot for thim in the pressed steel already and/or clearance between glass, winder motors etc may be very limited.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

HungryJoey wrote:
    :S How would the door's open.
    I was wondering that myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

take AMurphy's advice firstly and if that is a dead end, run the cable's up each side of the car under the carpet next to the bottom of the doors right the way to the back of the car.

Now only do the above if you are running the std. cabling supplied with the speakers (very thin, low guage stuff) AND if you are not running an amp.

If you are running an amp, the speaker cable needs to be kept well away from the RCA's or you will get terrible interference. So run the speaker cables down one side under the carpet and run the RCA's down the other side to the amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea pretty stupid thing I said about the doors what I meant by it was I was either thinking of putting them in the rear doors or the parcel shelf & if I was putting them in the doors I would be worried about taking the interior panels off.

As for the wires being already there, I am almost certain that there is none because there is no sign of there ever being speakers being there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dceire wrote:
    Yea pretty stupid thing I said about the doors what I meant by it was I was either thinking of putting them in the rear doors or the parcel shelf & if I was putting them in the doors I would be worried about taking the interior panels off.

As for the wires being already there, I am almost certain that there is none because there is no sign of there ever being speakers being there.

Most vehicles dont accommodate for speakers to be housed in the rear door.

for ease of installation i would suggest the back shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

i've sony 6x9s in the front & rear doors of my mondee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Should get somebody to fit them for €60-80 depending on work involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement