Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New headphones.

• 24-08-2005 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a nice enough but modestly priced set of earphones/headphones. I was thinking of a set similar to these without the mic obviously.

http://www.microplex.no/rubweb/prodpages/sennheiser/shpc145usb.jpg

However I'll be using them in school so 'keeping the noise in' is fairly essential. The ones like the link are great sounding but I doubt they keep others from hearing my music.

Was hoping a pair might be available for in and around the 40 mark. :D

EDIT: OOps the audio jack must be at a ninety degree angle due to the location of the audio hole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

I found this quite good - otherwise you can get a pair of around the neck Sennheiser's (PMX60 iirc) for around that price.

Depending on how much sound leakage you can put up with you can also choose between earbuds (eg Sennheiser MX350), in-ear or ear canal (eg Shure E2c) or closed (eg Sennheiser Px200)

I use the MX350s at work - I don't need the volume too high so me workmates can't hear 'em at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

If the style in your opening post is what your after you should try these, a mate got them and they are sweet...

Sennheiser PMX60

But personally...

Sony MDR-EX71SL

... in argos for 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Gonna hijack this thread.

My cans got broken there yesterday and id like something similar size etc. to replace them with.

Pic: http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6088/image3656nv.jpg

They are Philips SBC 3375.

Probably pretty ancient, but id like soemthing similar and not too expensive, roughly 30e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

weemcd wrote:
    Gonna hijack this thread.

My cans got broken there yesterday and id like something similar size etc. to replace them with.

Pic: http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6088/image3656nv.jpg

They are Philips SBC 3375.

Probably pretty ancient, but id like soemthing similar and not too expensive, roughly 30e.

I use these for messing about with mixing at home...

prod_99944.jpg

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9_906&products_id=99944

£14.49 from that place, and about 3 quid delivery.
    Nice balanced sound on em, and sweet sounding bass. Not professional studio quality but as close as you'll get for that money.

If you're after something bigger with a more closed design then these Sennheiser ahve some very good reviews and are sub-£20 on amazon...
    B00009QH78.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009QH78/ref=br_lf_ce_15/026-1162563-1794002
    Not heard them myself but sennheisers I have heard in the past have all been top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

scion wrote:
    If the style in your opening post is what your after you should try these, a mate got them and they are sweet...

Sennheiser PMX60

But personally...

Sony MDR-EX71SL

... in argos for 50

The Sony MDR-EX71SL are now €45 in Argos on the 29 Aug, and as a guide in Dixons they were €55 and Sony store €50 all on the same day in the Blanchardstown Center. I was buying an iAudio x5 30Gb on mp3-player.de so got them for €32. :) (delivery €19 but was buying a few things so that kinda cancelled the delivery charge out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The sony MDRs are good alright, although 3 pairs I've had have broken.. I use them allot though. No need to have big cans on your head, they fit right in your ear canal and block out sound. You could always go for a nice pair of SHURE or Eptonics (spelling?) you'll get good deals on ebay! Great reviews on these and I've used them myself and they are definitely worth the money if you use earphones allot.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ok, so not cheap but these are the best I've ever had.

cormie wrote:
    The sony MDRs are good alright, although 3 pairs I've had have broken.. I use them allot though. No need to have big cans on your head, they fit right in your ear canal and block out sound. You could always go for a nice pair of SHURE or Eptonics (spelling?) you'll get good deals on ebay! Great reviews on these and I've used them myself and they are definitely worth the money if you use earphones allot.

Yeah they will break if you use them alot as more often than not you are using them on the go, that is why I would not spend more than 50euro but maybe you will take care of them more if they are dear emm, this is my first time buying anything over 15 euro for ear buds so it should be a dramtic difference and be sufficient for a while anyway and might warrant me upgrading in a few months. Found this review on 5 brands of earbuds the Sony one is on it to. Ear buds Review on PC MAG

cormie wrote:
    The sony MDRs are good alright, although 3 pairs I've had have broken.. I use them allot though.

How long do you have them before they break is it faults or is it just them being trashed about?

Maximilian wrote:
    Ok, so not cheap but these are the best I've ever had.

Hmm, I saw them for $139 on EBAY, how much did you pay for them? Personally I think the SHURE E series look as if they would sound and fit better?

Were going way over the OPs budget, OP, maybe just go for the Sony MDR 71XLs?

• Advertisement

Colly wrote:
    How long do you have them before they break is it faults or is it just them being trashed about?

Well the last pair broke when I was running up the stairs with them hanging around my neck, the right one got caught, but not badly, it caught and swung back out at me. It's ALWAYS been the right one that has stopped. I've broken 3 and my friend has broken one. In all cases the right ear has stopped giving sound and the left ear has been fine.

I think the SHURES are much better built than the Sony so if you can, spend an extra bit as it'll probably worth it in the long run. In saying that, I sent off 2 broken sets to Sony with the receipt and got 2 brand new sets back which is cool.

cormie wrote:
    Well the last pair broke when I was running up the stairs with them hanging around my neck, the right one got caught, but not badly, it caught and swung back out at me. It's ALWAYS been the right one that has stopped. I've broken 3 and my friend has broken one. In all cases the right ear has stopped giving sound and the left ear has been fine.

I think the SHURES are much better built than the Sony so if you can, spend an extra bit as it'll probably worth it in the long run. In saying that, I sent off 2 broken sets to Sony with the receipt and got 2 brand new sets back which is cool.
    Who did you send them back to, the shop you bouth them in? Thanks for the explainantions on how they broke.

I bough them from amazon.co.uk, which I could have sent them back to 28 days after, but it was longer than 28 days so I sent them to The Repair Department, Sony, Tallaght.. Not sure of exact address :o I just sent my last pair back when the thing on the stairs happened, it was out of warranty by about 10 days so I sent off a note chancing my arm, no word back yet:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

the sennheiser pmx60s are great but they don't keep the sound in unless its at really low(and i mean really low) volume. grim you've heard mine, they're not an option for school

Advertisement