Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie Film Festival

• 24-08-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to get some feedback on the idea of organising a boards.ie Film Festival.

Anyone would be able to submit a short film or documentary, or even animation. And we'd hold a screening some evening and select some winners under various categories.

I've held a few public screenings of COMET's work in the past and it's always great for people to be able to see their finished projects with a live audience.

So let me know if you'd be interested in submitting something as it won't work if we don't have enough people contributing. And also if you have any suggestions or ideas of how the festival might work then let me know.

I can supply the venue, projection and audio equipment.

Would you be interested in a boards.ie Film Festival? 41 votes

Yes - and I'd like to enter a short film.
    0%
    Yes - but I'd only like to attend and view the screenings.
    60%
    Da BouncaMiguel_SanchezBlitzKriegPlacebofather_ted9t9MrVestekTCamenmonkeyfudgedlofnepfaithyTrip HazardHugh HefneridiotproofGeraniumshnaekThe Gnomecoolconrip2roarwimbleshotcaller 25 votes
    Yes - but I can't be there and will submit a film by post.
    34%
    DeVore[Deleted User]RekcaHHugh_CcallmescratchRuggieBearchillywillyqzdoryLariannemasteroftherealmTHEZAPPAbluto63Blowfish 14 votes
    No
    4%
    tytherGroeneg 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

that sounds like a great idea. I'd love to go to a screening of boardsie talent......BoardsDance. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually now that I think about it.. someone should really be making a boards.ie documentary that could be screened at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey, I'll be apart of it. I'm shooting a short film very soon infact, so it works out well for both of us. I'll submit my entry.

dlofnep wrote:
    Hey, I'll be apart of it. I'm shooting a short film very soon infact, so it works out well for both of us. I'll submit my entry.
    Good, good... hopefully we'll be able to organise something before the end of the year.

I'll even see if I can pull something together myself by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Any space for Boardsers who aren't planning on making anything, but want to come along and watch? Pretty-please?!

• Advertisement

qz wrote:
    Any space for Boardsers who aren't planning on making anything, but want to come along and watch? Pretty-please?!
    oh yes... there should be a good bit of room...

It's a room that I'd originally got the OPW to build to act as a television studio... but then we figured we wouldn't be able to afford the rent on the thing, so it became a sort of common resource for the whole building.

It is on the northside of Dublin though, right next to Northside Shopping Centre and Colaiste Dhulaigh. So it may not be the most convienent of locations.

I suppose we could look at hiring the IFI, if there was enough interest and if we charged an entrance fee.

Good, good... hopefully we'll be able to organise something before the end of the year.

I'll even see if I can pull something together myself by then.

Ok excellent. My short will only be about 4 minutes long however, so we may want to fill up a few more spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Although I wont have any work to show at it I'd certainly be up for helping with the organisational side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

id be glad to help with the organising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

I'll submit a short too. Sounds like a good idea.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    Ok excellent. My short will only be about 4 minutes long however, so we may want to fill up a few more spots.
    4 minutes is a perfect running time.

I think all the entries should ideally be kept to under 5 minutes actually.

Perfect, sounds fine to me. I'm planning on having the shoot complete by next week. Have one place filled, popped up some posts to fill the other.

I've just added a poll so that I can get some idea of the sort of numbers we're talking about.

I've put in an option for those who aren't currently based in Ireland but would still like to submit a film by post.

We have 2 short films, great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if weare aiming for this to be shown at a much later date (around easter time) then i will have roughly about 7 films. 4 really short (less then 2 minutes) and 2 that are about 5 minutes each and my current big project which is about 10-12 minutes long.

If its before then, i would only have the small pieces which i shot in university and i personally feel they are very amaturish (would still put them in, just perfer to do an evolution set piece). I know another boardsie member in my college who has a few films i'll see if he wants to throw a few in.
    Actually now that I think about it.. someone should really be making a boards.ie documentary that could be screened at it.

I always felt that some of the all time classic threads of boardsie history should be converted over to animation.

also maybe we should ask those in the animation board if they have any pieces they want to put in.

East is ages away. We should have one at least every 6 months. :)

you think we can get enough films submitted to have one every six months?

also where were you thinking of having this monkey?

I don't know.. Not initially but as people show more interest? Sure, I don't see why not.

well lets focus on getting the first one off the ground and if it goes well, me and fudge will throw out a request for entries for another one. (the gap might be a tad wider then 6 months though)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    also maybe we should ask those in the animation board if they have any pieces they want to put in.
    I've already stuck a thread up over on the animation board pointing people in this direction.

I was thinking about hosting this at the Northside Civic Centre. I can get the large conference room there. It's free and it has huge white walls so there won't be any faffing about with projection screens.

But as I said earlier, I'd consider booking the IFI if I felt the event was going to be big enough.

• Advertisement

Sounds good to me, Well, I'll have my short shot next week and edited by next weekend. So anytime in the next few months is good for me!

How about Mid to late November?

Oh.. and if anyone wants to see this place beforehand then I'll also be hosting the TechCamp in the same place.

They have a forum set up already if you want more information on TechCamp.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=594

I've already stuck a thread up over on the animation board pointing people in this direction.

I was thinking about hosting this at the Northside Civic Centre. I can get the large conference room there. It's free and it has huge white walls so there won't be any faffing about with projection screens.

But as I said earlier, I'd consider booking the IFI if I felt the event was going to be big enough.

thats great!

So what date are we aiming for *roughly* a december/january festival?

if so, we have about 6 short films at the moment and how long is the minimum for using the conference room? and how much time would you feel we will need.

personnally i feel we should try at least get an hours worth of *stuff* (animation, films, other) at least to make the event worthwhile, and then another hour or two aftermath social *beers*

but before any of that lets get the entries first.

Well... do we run it on a weekday evening? Or do we run it during the day on a Saturday? If we do it on a Saturday we could even run a few workshops on film production... haha... or am I getting a bit too ambitious now?

We can use the conference room for as long as we like as long as I book far enough ahead of the schedule.

The only draw back is that people won't be able to just show up on the night, I need a list of all the attendees beforehand to give to secuirity.

Weekend, that's the only time I could make it to Dublin.

who can we get for workshops, apart from yourself and mycroft most of the people here are either studants or are just starting out.

We could to fill the event up, combine with other creative areas of boards. Music, photography, art, to have a sort of convention for an hour, then a screening for the 2nd hour.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    who can we get for workshops, apart from yourself and mycroft most of the people here are either studants or are just starting out.

We could to fill the event up, combine with other creative areas of boards. Music, photography, art, to have a sort of convention for an hour, then a screening for the 2nd hour.
    Argh... I think we really are getting a bit ambitious. Perhaps we can organise something like that for the next one.

This time around we could just allow each person to introduce their own piece and then let them do a Q&A session afterwards.

We have a Final Cut Pro based video editing suite right next door to the conference room and perhaps anyone who is interested could be given a demonstration at some point. Or actually.. even better just run final cut pro off a powerbook and project the demonstration up onto the walll of the conference room. You could do that after all the screenings have taken place and while the judges are deliberating.

EDIT: This is what the room looks like by the way:
    conf_room.jpg
    This was an event we held their recently. Notice the nice big white walls, so there is no need for a projection screen.

dunno why...but was peaking over old posts and i spotted Mycroft talking about that 48 hour make a film competition and got thinking.

combine...48 hour make a film challange.

with.

the theme of boards.ie and have the screening be the screening of the entries. start competition on friday evening and have the screening sunday evening.

So instead of having to worry about if enough boardsie members can put in films, make it a competition.

or is this even more ambitious?

have a number of teams which must have at least 1 member being a boardsie being a poster (actor, editor, director etc doesnt matter)

Okay... I'm trying to sell this idea to my board of management at the moment.

I don't know if we'll be able to call it a boards.ie film festival... but perhaps we can come up with an independent title for the festival and say it is in collaboration with boards.ie and the Media Co-op... and perhaps DCTV....

Anyone got any suggestions for an interesting title?

Perhaps something as gaeilge...?

Beagán Scannán Feilé perhaps? I think should mean 'a little film festival'

Or can someone think of something more cutting edge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Okay... I'm trying to sell this idea to my board of management at the moment.

I don't know if we'll be able to call it a boards.ie film festival... but perhaps we can come up with an independent title for the festival and say it is in collaboration with boards.ie and the Media Co-op... and perhaps DCTV....

Anyone got any suggestions for an interesting title?

Perhaps something as gaeilge...?

Beagán Scannán Feilé perhaps? I think should mean 'a little film festival'

Or can someone think of something more cutting edge?

If there is any organisation help needed i will gladly oblige, and also myself and a few mates have 2 shorts we would like to enter if poss!

Advertisement