Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie Film Festival

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yes - but I'd only like to attend and view the screenings.
    I will have a film completed by late October/start November that I could enter.

It'll be about 12-15 minutes long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Myself and a group of like-minded film student/graduates have made a few shorts this summer (3 around 3-4mins and one 10mins) -- I'm gonna email the rest of the group and see if they'd be interested (I can't see why not tbh) :)

Also, I'd be interested in helping organise the festival if needed - My area is producer/production management so I enjoy organising :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I have a short which i may be filming in October, so depending on how it goes i'd put it in definitely :)

for somewhere to show it - doesnt the sugar club have a projector for screenings (it being an old cinema) and good sound? could tie it in with a boards pissup later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I've been invited to the Sugar Club for screenings in the past.

The IFI can be rented as well... but it may not be easy to get it for a Saturday.

If we go with the facilites that I have then it will cost about €250 for the day, as they need to put on extra secuirity and cleaning staff.

Does anyone else want to look into chasing The Sugar Club and the IFI or anywhere else? See what sort of cost would be involved in using a screening room during the day on a saturday... I think we're looking at a date at some stage in December at this stage.

At the moment I'm pretty busy with other things... but I'm working on getting DCTV involved in this so that hopefully one day all of you will be providing content for the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Yes - but I can't be there and will submit a film by post.
    id be interested in coming to the screening:)

• Advertisement

Okay...

I got a quote from the Sugar Club for using their place for a screening for a day.

Rental cost: €1500.00 + 21% VAT: €1815.00

Rental includes security, all staff, in house PA, sound system, LCD
    projector (runs off VHS and DVD), screen and sound engineer.

We might be looking at charging €30 to enter a film, and just €15 to attend the screening then we'd have enough to cover the costs if 20 people entered films and 80 people attended to view the screening.

If we use my premises.. entering a film could be free and entrance to the screening would be €6.50... but we'd only be able to have about enough room for 40 people to attend to view the screening.

I guess it all depends on how big we want to make this. It might be best to start off small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i say start off small, we need to encourage boardsie's to come back in future and to have a suger club which is only half full overpriced and with only a small selection of shorts would put alot off. But if we work hard on promoting a small one which is well organised we might encourage more visitors next time.

also as it stands in the poll we only have 13 people so far who have films, so we dont know if we'll make it to twenty entries (at £30 a film i doubt many people will put in more then one.) unless its £30 for a set amount of time and it all depends how much they can fit within that time limit.

Well if we use my premises then we won't have to charge a large fee to enter a film.

I can get the use of the room for nothing but there are some costs involved in opening up the buidling on a Saturday.

1 Extra Security Guard
    7 hours @ €21.50 an hour = €150.50+ 21% Vat.

Cleaning
    3 hours @ €19.35 an hour = €58.05 + 21% Vat.

So we need to cover a cost of about €250. If everyone attending the festival pays €6.50.. we should be able to cover it.

The downside is this room can only hold about 40+ safely. But I think that's okay as we want to start off small anyway.

40+ is a safe number... Not many people outside of boardsie will be interested, we have 21 people already, advertise it like a boards beer that will grow to at least 30, then throw in people not linked to boards but linked to filmmakers (friends, cast, crew, family) and we'll hit around 40 roughly.

Now lets talk about time frame. How long are we aiming for this festival to be?, how long are we allowed have? We still thinking of a workshop or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

I would love to go and watch the films,but im busy with school so I wont be able for making any movies.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Now lets talk about time frame. How long are we aiming for this festival to be?, how long are we allowed have? We still thinking of a workshop or two?
    Well... we've got 7 hours to play around with... so that's 10am - 5pm, but that's a little bit of an early start, so I'd say we could run it from noon until around 5pm.

That should be plenty of time to show all the films, let people talk about their work and give a workshop in using Final Cut Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sounds good monkeyfudge. A 12 start would give us all a chance to make it up to it for those living outside Dublin.

THEZAPPA wrote:
    id be glad to help with the organising.
    How about being our alluring check-in girl for the day?

I promise I'll play some of Frank over the sound system before the day is out.

12-5 ok.

so how should we arrange it?

simple like so:

show film/films from specific filmmaker, brief Q+A with filmmaker, move on?

I could if every person entering sends a copy of their films on minidv and technical information (time it was shot in, equipment etc) edit them all into a program where the basic info (who and on what) is given before the piece and a number of filmmakers are shown together and then have a Q+A session. Would allow for a more streamlined process and shave off valuable minutes that could be wasted in moving people up and down between films if we had everyone in blocks of 2-4 different filmmakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

How about being our alluring check-in girl for the day?

I promise I'll play some of Frank over the sound system before the day is out.

hehehe,yeh that would be good. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd be interested in going, if I can get to where ever it's on.

No too sure of my way around Dublin. :o

Don't worry... it's easy enough to find.

I have maps which I'll publish here once we have a date sorted out...

to help with the date organising...can we have every person who has said they want to enter a film, put forward a date that suits them best.

I know somepeople (myself and dfolnop) are in some part of making some of their films, so lets all put forward the period that best suit them (example november onwards...)

we are expecting to see 14 replies on this.

to get it going.

December 2005 onwards would suit me best.

The 17th of December is a date that I have strong feelings for...

But perhaps it's too close to xmas.

BUMPITY!

PEOPLE!

if your all fine with december 17th then keep ignoring this thread, if by the end of next week (there abouts) there are no requests for change of date, there will be a new thread giving details for sending in your entry. until then...keep up your artistic expression. (or however you film)

• Advertisement

that new thread i mentioned is stickied at the top...

if you have an entry please read *said* thread and make the proper arrangments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NARUTOkun

I think its a great idea =, you can use my animated short if you like.
    You can c a small 320x240 Vr at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmlBQQmfLw
    will check back to c what the crack is
    Later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Dec 17 is great for me and Ill enter a short too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

lol.

I think you're about 12 months too late ;)

seriously...people.

reread the thread.

I am getting horrible worried here.

look very very very closely at the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

:D:D Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

Great idea!!! I'll certainly help with any organising to be done but im currently extremely busy so not sure if I could get a decent film in on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

Note to self: Look at dates :D

• Advertisement

true you should.

But there could be another shot at this next year, if your willing to help out there could still be a carnival to look forward to.

Advertisement