Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VHS to DVD

• 25-08-2005 12:13am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there are countless threads about this but most of them are people asking other people to do it.

I want to do it myself. I've just bought an Apple Powerbook, mainly for editing, and I'm just wondering, what cables are required to hook up a VCR and a laptop?

And is that all I need? A VCR, computer and some cables? Do I need any software that wouldn't be included with a new mac?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well you'll need an analogue capture card, or a USB breakout box. You'll also need some software to capture with. I'm not a mac head so can't really guide you on that front. Hopefully some mac users will reply.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Hope Im not hijacking this but im looking into this too. Im using my dv camcorder to convert my vhs to dv, and then I want it on DVD. Whats the best resolution and bitrate to use? Is it overkill to use 720x576 (DVD)? I do want the best quality and a disc that will play on any player, but I would also like to get as much footage onto as disc as I can.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kazzer wrote:
    Hope Im not hijacking this but im looking into this too. Im using my dv camcorder to convert my vhs to dv, and then I want it on DVD. Whats the best resolution and bitrate to use? Is it overkill to use 720x576 (DVD)? I do want the best quality and a disc that will play on any player, but I would also like to get as much footage onto as disc as I can.

Thanks for your help.

Resolution and bitrate should be decided by the tv you want to play it on.

So if its pal ntsc only encode in those formats.

PAL

Video:
    1150 kbit/sec MPEG-1
    352 x 288 pixels
    25 frames/second

Audio:
    44100 Hz
    224 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2

Extra:
    Menus and chapters
    Still pictures in 704x576,352x28

NTSC/NTSC Film

Video:
    1150 kbit/sec MPEG-1
    352 x 240 pixels
    29,97 frames/second
    23,976 frames/second NTSC Film

Audio:
    44100 Hz
    224 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2

Extra:
    Menus and chapters
    Still pictures in 704x480,352x240

http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

Have a look at the images on that page to help you decide.

Also making them into VCDs is a handy way of sharing them , also can make a DVD with guides on the website above.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Thanks thats a good website. There seems to be alot of argument about what resolutions and bitrates to use for vhs though. So what are people using here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would go with its native resolution ,just copy as it. And make VCDS out of 50 minute segments (assuming its home videos.

Can get Virtualdub and edit it to make it look very good.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Any way of using a dvd recorder and video player to transfer vhs to dvd?

Advertisement