Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC Vs Djurgardens IF UEFA CUP 2nd Rnd 2nd leg

• 25-08-2005 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

19:25 UEFA CUP
    RTE 1

Cork came away with 1-1 draw in Sweden and either need a 0-0 to go through or a win. They really need to win the match and Richardson says he is going to try and win it rather than settle for a 0-0 draw.

I imagine CCFC will have O callaghan playing and I do fancy them go through with all the advantages of playing at home.

Cork to win by a goal IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-1 Cork i reckon its 11-1

Cork City 1 - 0 13 - 2
    Draw 0 - 0 13 - 2
    Thats odd same odds for win and a draw.
    Djurgardens 1 - 0 11 - 2

Half time/ full time

Djurgardens/Cork City 33 - 1

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Richardson happy to leave well enough alone
    Gavin Cummiskey

Most of the hard works appears to be done. And yet, on closer inspection, Cork City face a task similar in stature to Damien Richardson's assessment of the Djurgardens IF back four: gargantuan.

With the Swedes needing to score it leaves the Turner's Cross side in a precarious position before entry is gained into the drum for tomorrow's first round Uefa cup draw. Backs to the wall and all that.

The achievement in Stockholm two weeks ago was commendable and, with George O'Callaghan returning from suspension, Cork run out on home soil in substantially better shape. Yet the form-guide still must be adhered to.

Since the courageous first-leg performance Richardson's men have ended Shelbourne's interests in the title race but allowed Derry City back into the equation. Now it becomes a case of swallowing erratic league form and retaining the balance shown in Europe.

"I would put last week's defeat to Derry down to fatigue amongst the players," said Richardson. "Also, Derry played like it was a cup final and produced their best performance of the season. We couldn't sustain our game for long periods of time and didn't do ourselves justice."

Djurgardens arrive on form and with six goals in their previous two league outings, which keep them top of their domestic pile, they will be confident of scoring a least one more tonight. That means Cork cannot sit back and let them dictate the tempo, which suits Richardson just fine.

"The onus is on them but I don't want to change our tactics. Okay, the element of surprise is gone but we showed them in Sweden that we can create as many attacking opportunities as they can so they will be aware of the huge challenge that awaits them.

"People were surprised that we didn't change our normal style for the away leg and how successful it was so I dare not change it."

The other threats are the visitors' ability to engineer goals from several different departments and they also unleashed two naturally attack-minded players for the second half the last day in Ibrahim Ba and Patrick Amoah.

"They have a gargantuan back four, all over six foot two, and they are all dangerous from set-pieces.

"The players know to try and avoid such situations. I anticipate a game with end-to-end action, as both teams are capable of creating plenty of chances."

In the end it will come down to Cork keeping calm in the storm that Djurgardens are sure to whip up.

It is a little early in the progression of this Cork team to be mature enough to handle this standard but the Stockholm result still stands.

"Yeah, it will be a mental more than physical demand," admitted Richardson, "but that's the real beauty of our success in Europe as it opened our minds to the challenge we will face in the long term."

Also, they are in their own house, which should be enough for them to fly the National league flag on the continent at least one more time before getting back to securing a place in the Champions League qualifiers for next season.

CORK CITY (probable): Devine; Horgan, Bennett, Murray, Murphy; O'Donovan, Gamble, O'Halloran, Kearney; Fenn, O'Flynn.

DJUGARDENS IF (probable): Tourray; Concha, Kuivasto, Johannesson, Stenman; Arneng, Hysen, Barsom; Jonson, Kusi-Asare, Sjolund.

Referee: L Wilmes (Luxembourg).

No O Callaghan there then ?? I thought he would play, does he have an injury or something like that ?

The bookies dont seem to be backing anyone, same as Richardson's odds of them going through at 50/50. The thing is for CCFC, if Djurgardens score, CCFC will have to beat them on the night and it could be another draw. The swedes could make it very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think Cork will do this. I pray they will! Best of luck to all involved! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Is this match on the telly tonight?

From the independent...

A PLACE in the record books awaits Cork City tonight if they can knock Swedish League leaders Djurgardens out of the UEFA Cup.

A 1-1 draw in Stockholm two weeks ago has left the Corkmen needing only a scoreless draw to become the first Eircom League side to advance through two successive rounds of the UEFA Cup.

But Cork will have to up their game even more than they did in the first leg if they are to see off a team that is packed full with senior internationals and currently leads the Swedish League by four points.

Manager Damien Richardson says he will be impressing upon his players the need to play their usual attacking game and resist the temptation to settle for a scoreless draw.

"In many respects you would be better off knowing you had to do something at home," he said. "To need a goal at home would make your objective much more straight-forward and obvious to the players."

And Richardson predicted there could be a feast of goals this evening, something Djurgardens head coach Kjell Jonevret also agrees with.

"We have played 39 games this seasons and failed to score in only two so we are confident we can get a goal," said Jonevret last night.

Richardson has earmarked midfield as the key battleground in this game and although he intended to sleep on the decision he is expected to bring George O'Callaghan back into midfield with U21 international Roy O'Donovan the one likely to lose out.

Jonevret was in a very confident frame of mind when he arrived at Turner's Cross for training last night and his build up to the game has been relaxed.

His side arrived in Dublin yesterday morning, had lunch in The K Club and tea in Cashel before heading to Kinsale yesterday.

It is the sign of a side supremely confident in their own ability and Cork have it all to do if they are to keep their unbeaten record at home to Swedish sides.

CORK CITY (Probable) - Devine; Horgan, Bennett, Murray, Murphy; Gamble, O'Callaghan, O'Halloran, Kearney; Fenn; O'Flynn.

take a look at the first post there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Come on City! We're all behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

if Cork do go through they will be in the 1st round proper then right?

And if they win that it goes to a group phase am i correct?

So city stand to make a financial Killing if they manage to get through tonight!

would be fantastic achievement as the Swedish side are Top of the league and contain i believe i read some where 3 current international squad members

Go on Cork

yes, if the beat djurgardens then they are in the first round proper but more thank likely they are going to face a team that is very hard to beat. Should they manage that then they are in the group stages. Two home matches and two away matches. Im not sure of how much money is available but its nothing like the €10million in the champions league

They won't make a huge killing unless they make it into the group stages, (Shelbourne made it to the first round proper last year), and although its not as much as for the CL, in eL terms it'd be a nice little bundle to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

It'll be a tough one alright and I actually reckon extra time is quite likely as I'd fancy a 1-1 over the 90 mins........ cmon the cork! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jubbly wrote:
    yes, if the beat djurgardens then they are in the first round proper but more thank likely they are going to face a team that is very hard to beat. Should they manage that then they are in the group stages. Two home matches and two away matches. Im not sure of how much money is available but its nothing like the €10million in the champions league
    That €10m figure gets floated around a lot. If an Irish team got to the CL group stages they'd come out with about €4m.

Yeah thats closer to the truth Eirebhoy.

€4million is a right bit of money but not a lot. I wouldnt see a team dominate the EL with even double that. Shels have about €2million per year and its nothing. Cork could probably do up their stadium with the cash though

George O' Callaghan trying skills with nobody within 10 yards. What a clown. Good start for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

The best of luck to Djurgardens ;)

bright start by CCFC but Djurgardens always look threatening. I think Cork really need to score first

Who do you support Jonny?

Cork are playing excellently, should be 1 up, and I hope they dont come to regret not taking their chances.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Who do you support Jonny?

Celtic fan , cant you tell supports a real irish club.

Good 1st half Djurka-Djurka-gardens are awful seriously for a professional team top of their league they are crap, their full backs must get a lot of time with the ball in sweden and noone running at them as every time Kearney gets the ball he tears Concho apart (seriously Kearney get a mirror and stick , look in the mirror and then use the stick on whoever did that to your hair)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nice disregard for UEFA safety regulations going on at Turners cross. Cant see UEFA being happy bout people standing on banking behind the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats it, Cork through, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Good game of football, and a great performance from Cork.

Their management, players, and fans are a credit to the club and the Eircom League.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

well done again

They put Djurgarden to shame, were rarely threatened and looked like they could have scored had they really needed to.

Super stuff, whens the draw?

edit: Sorry, just checked uefa.com, draw is tomorrow lunchtime.

Was I the only person who got a bit emotional at the final whistle (I am that kind of person when it comes to football though :) )? Seeing the Djurgarden striker clap the City fans pretty much summed it up. There was something about that match that it was probably the best televised European match I've seen consisting of an Irish club. I couldn't take my eyes off it. I'm 110% sure Liam Kearney will be watched closely by the European scouts in the next round.

Best atmosphere from an Irish club in a long, long time.

/copy

Excellent result well done Cork, for all they have done this season they deserve their next game in UEFA Cup to be vs Boro or Bolton, just to know how good they are and if they could beat a team from that league.

Lol watching the Cork fans from ther 76th minute onwards there was pooh where was no pooh before, superb atmosphere fans deserved that for their effort.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

KdjaC wrote:
    Celtic fan , cant you tell supports a real irish club.

Good 1st half Djurka-Djurka-gardens are awful seriously for a professional team top of their league they are crap, their full backs must get a lot of time with the ball in sweden and noone running at them as every time Kearney gets the ball he tears Concho apart (seriously Kearney get a mirror and stick , look in the mirror and then use the stick on whoever did that to your hair)

kdjac

I actually support Bohs as well but i like Djurgardens :p

Sausage anyone?

Fantastic result. I dont support CCFC but was at then edge of my seat for the last 20 minutes. The support was fantastic, there seemed loads of people let in after half time.

Cork are playing some great football and throughly deserved to win although they lacked that something in the final third. I suppose they couldnt commit too many players forwards. Djurgardens seem to play on the break and had little else to offer. They arent a bad team but were totally phased by Turners Cross and the supporters and they were making some terrible errors under pressure.

Richardson got it all spot on tatically and the team was very well prepared unlike shels. Fair play to him as well.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Fair play to the Corky boyos... You've done Ireland proud. Hopefully they'll get a kind draw and qualify for the group stages.

Did anyone see Linfield on the telly before their game ? Their manger or someone like that was doing an interview saying he resented his southener collegues saying that they had a better league , better football and are more sucessful etc.. he went on to say that he was going out tonight to show everyone what a team Linfield are. Linfield lost 4-2 :D haha

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    Did anyone see Linfield on the telly before their game ? Their manger or someone like that was doing an interview saying he resented his southener collegues saying that they had a better league , better football and are more sucessful etc.. he went on to say that he was going out tonight to show everyone what a team Linfield are. Linfield lost 4-2 :D haha

Sssshhhh... Setanta Cup Final?? Ssssshhhh....

makes tonights result all the more sweeter :D

Cork will be drawn against one of these teams tomorrow:

CSKA Moscow
    AS Roma
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Feyenoord
    VfB Stuttgart
    AJ Auxerre
    Galatasaray
    AEK Athens
    Hertha Berlin
    Besiktas
    AZ Alkmaar
    Seville
    Marseille
    PAOK Thessaloniki
    Slavia Prague
    Monaco
    FC Basel
    Wisla Kraków
    Middlesbrough
    Sporting Lisbon
    Partizan
    Espanyol
    Lens
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Austria Vienna
    Heerenveen
    Graz AK
    CA Osasuna
    Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Hamburg
    Red Star Belgrade
    Everton
    Bolton Wanderers
    Sampdoria
    Palermo
    Steaua Bucuresti
    Brøndby IF
    Racing Genk
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv
    Grasshopper-Club Zürich

Oh I would love to see Totti at Turners Cross.

I would walk the distance from Dublin-Cork just to hurl abuse at that SOAB.

Some very mouth-watering potential ties there nonetheless, one or two of which Cork might have a chance of progressing past.

feck, im just looking through the list to see who would be a good draw and there are some tough teams there..

wait,, steaua are there !! cork would beat them IMO. It would be great to get back at them after all their antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well down cork ye did yerselves proud. By far the best team on the night. the seconds couldnt go fast enough!

All the best in the next round.

Also a great advertisment for the league. people are gettign more interested. In my local tonight even a bunch of the barstoolers were saying how they must go check out a few league games involving the local clubs.

Slowly but surely imho the tide is beginning to shift. A lot of people are getting bored to death of the whole saga in the EPL. not saying things will get much better over night here but the shift is happening.But this is a point for a diff topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

what a magic night at turners cross, one i'll never forget. there was nothing lucky about the result over two legs, we deserve to be where we are.

I'm absolutely thrilled, never been as happy leaving the ground.

a good draw tomorrow and we'll be set, either way we'll give it a go.

thanks to all the other eL fans for the messages of congratulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to say Cork were simply fantastic tonight and they fully deserved to go through. They did ths country and the EL proud tonight and I couldnt be happier. They should won the game tonight because they played Djurgarden off the park.

Cork really are a fantastic footballing side and they play a passing game keeping the ball on the deck which I was delighted to see. Shels should really take heed of ow Cork play because that is how you play football. Also I have to say fair play to Cork for never once sitting back. This is what won them the game, they kept on pushing forward and not allowing Djurgarden to play. The tactics were spot on tonight. Cork really do have some tremendous young players and Kearney was fantastic. I am delighted to see such a high quality footballing the side and it makes me proud to watch it.

Also the fans were simply fantastic, they are the best fans in the country and the should get tremendous credit for supporting their team the way they did.

Good luck to Cork in the next round I really hope they can do it and get to the group stages. Imagine what that could do for Irish soccer.

Congratulations Cork!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Excellent, excellent result, well done for all concerned! Although looking at that list of teams, whatever the draw is, it'll be one hell of a tough tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Djurgardens were very poor, the standard of Scandinavian football seems to be going down the toilet. Cork did well, were by far the better team, and deserved to qualify without a doubt. And Djurgardens took more fans to Cork than Shels. :p

I have a feeling that Cork will get Steaua and beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

brilliant result, well done cork! here's to them beating everton or bolton in the next round.. :D

• Advertisement

I thought the way Cork played was the best, it was proper football on the ground and football for 90 minutes with very few long ball stuff unlike nutsy tatics. Richardson imposed Corks style of play on the game and its the way european games should be played. An excellent lesson IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I've never been more proud of Cork City in my life, only thing I'm gutted about is not making the match. As for the match, City were just pure class over the second leg, the heart and industry that they showed was incredible. Also, delighted that we were also able to show the naysayers that our sucess in Europe last year was more than a flash in the pan. Roma, Monaco, Shakhtar or whoever, we'll take ye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACup/news/Kind=1/newsId=330030.html

1 in 5 chance of getting Everton

Group 1: Seeded Unseeded
    AJ Auxerre (FRA) PFC Levski Sofia (BUL)
    PAOK FC (GRE) FC København (DEN)
    SK Slavia Praha (CZE) FC Dinamo Bucuresti (ROU)
    Hamburger SV (GER) FC Metalurh Donetsk (UKR)
    Everton FC (ENG) Cork City FC (IRL)

Group 2: Seeded Unseeded
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) SC Braga (POR)
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) PFC CSKA Sofia (BUL)
    PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) KFC Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen (BEL)
    FK Crvena Zvezda (SCG) FC Midtjylland (DEN)
    Grasshopper-Club (SUI) Myllykosken Pallo-47 (FIN)

Group 3: Seeded Unseeded
    Feyenoord (NED) 1. FSV Mainz 05 (GER)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) Vitória FC (POR)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI) Hibernian FC (SCO)
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) AFC Rapid Bucuresti (ROU)
    UC Sampdoria (ITA) NK Široki Brijeg (BIH)

Group 4; Seeded Unseeded
    VfB Stuttgart (GER) Stade Rennais FC (FRA)
    AZ Alkmaar (NED) Vitória SC (POR)
    Wisla Kraków (POL) Vålerenga IF (NOR)
    CA Osasuna (ESP) FC Krylya Sovetov Samara (RUS)
    FC Steaua Bucuresti (ROU) NK Domžale (SLO)

Group 5: Seeded Unseeded
    Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) RC Strasbourg (FRA)
    FC Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) Halmstads BK (SWE)
    Middlesbrough FC (ENG) Xanthi FC (GRE)
    Grazer AK (AUT) SK Brann (NOR)
    US Città di Palermo (ITA) Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP)

Group 6; Seeded Unseeded
    AS Roma (ITA) Aris Thessaloniki FC (GRE)
    Besiktas JK (TUR) PFC Litex Lovech (BUL)
    FK Partizan (SCG) FC Baník Ostrava (CZE)
    SC Heerenveen (NED) Maccabi Petach-Tikva FC (ISR)
    KRC Genk (BEL) Malmö FF (SWE)

Group 7: Seeded Unseeded
    AS Monaco FC (FRA) FK Teplice (CZE)
    Hertha BSC Berlin (GER) Willem II (NED)
    RCD Espanyol (ESP) Viking FK (NOR)
    FK Austria Wien (AUT) FC Zürich (SUI)
    Brøndby IF (DEN) APOEL FC (CYP)

Group 8: Seeded Unseeded
    Galatasaray SK (TUR) FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
    AEK Athens FC (GRE) Debreceni VSC (HUN)
    RC Lens (FRA) Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski (POL)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) Tromsø IL (NOR)
    Bolton Wanderers FC (ENG) PFC Lokomotiv Plovdiv (BUL)

Fantastic result. Best performance I think I've ever seen an Irish team give. :) Many congratulations.

I hope they get a draw to make the gorup stages, but if they get Everton I think I'll make the trip and add my support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Great result , I was thinking earlier this season that this Cork side is special . Ive never seen an Irish side with half the technique and skill that they have . Sure Irish sides have had the desire doggedness and even the organisation before but none can come close to matching the skill of the likes of O'Callaghan , Fenn and Kearney . I already knew what Fenn was all about but tonight it was almost like wathcing Denis Bergkamp everytime he got the ball .

Anyone else get a similer feeling after the final whistle tonight as when Ireland beat Holland . (in thw WC qualifyer not the friendly) Cork have done the country proud .

Theres a lot of ties for them to hopefully avoid but there a quite a few you think you slighly edge in Cork's favour or are 50/50 . Heres to a good draw :)

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I hope they get a draw to make the gorup stages, but if they get Everton I think I'll make the trip and add my support!

I'll join you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They talk ad nauseum on Sky etc about 'those special European nights', well last night was one of those in Turners Cross. The athmosphere was electric, everyone in the ground was up for it. To say that the fans were a 12th man is an understatement. Right from the off, the City fans were on the backs of the Swedes, and visibly put them off their game.

Liam Kearney and Danny Murphy were outstanding last night. They must have covered 100 miles in running each. Kearney really took the piss out of the right full, Concha (in mexican that means c*nt!). I was surprised he wasnt man marked earlier when it was patently obvious he was ripping them apart.

City should have won that game last night. They were by far and away the better team. They were on the front foot all game, and had very little defending to do. So I was very surprised to read Gary Doyles effort in The Mirror this morning saying that City offered little in attck and were happy to soak up the pressure. he also said that Kearney didnt do much on the wing!!!! I dont know what game he was at, but that certainly wasnt the case.

Bring on whoever. CCFChave nothing to fear from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

gimmick wrote:
    (in mexican that means c*nt!)

I presume you mean the Mexican dialect of Spanish? :)

gimmick wrote:
    So I was very surprised to read Gary Doyles effort in The Mirror this morning saying that City offered little in attck and were happy to soak up the pressure. he also said that Kearney didnt do much on the wing!!!! I dont know what game he was at, but that certainly wasnt the case.

What a tool. Anyone with half a brain knows it was exactly the opposite.

If they get Everton will the game be played at the cross? Are there alternatives if not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

bloke on the left wing with the funny haircut was brilliant.

whats his name ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement