Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC Vs Djurgardens IF UEFA CUP 2nd Rnd 2nd leg

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bateman wrote:
    I presume you mean the Mexican dialect of Spanish? :)

In Spanish, Concha (sp???) means shell. My friend who went to college in Madrid had a friend called Concha (a hotty spaniard girl..aren't they all hot?). She was quite upset when she holidayed in Mexico!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pal wrote:
    bloke on the left wing with the funny haircut was brilliant.

whats his name ?

Ronaldo, he's on loan from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Pal wrote:
    bloke on the left wing with the funny haircut was brilliant.

whats his name ?

That's Kearney.

In fairness to Garry Doyle, City had a lot of possession in the middle third, but rarely used it to push forward. Having had so much possession, it might be hard to acknowledge City didn't carry much of an attacking threat, but it is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bateman wrote:
    That's Kearney.

In fairness to Garry Doyle, City had a lot of possession in the middle third, but rarely used it to push forward. Having had so much possession, it might be hard to acknowledge City didn't carry much of an attacking threat, but it is the case.

ya but it does seem a bit like he didn't go to the go and just reported what the usual performance in Europe is for an Irish club .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Big Ears wrote:
    ya but it does seem a bit like he didn't go to the go and just reported what the usual performance in Europe is for an Irish club .

Usual performance for an Irish club. Based on the standards of 10 years ago maybe, but certainly not based on the standards of the past 5 years. I'd say he was at the game though. Even if he wasn't though, he could have watched it on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Yeah, the only thing cork didnt do was put the ball into the back of the net. They lacked that something in the final third but at the end of the day they couldnt commit too many people forward because Djurgardens was set up to hit Cork on the break and if Djurgardens scored then Cork had to score two.

If it is Everton I hope everyone goes out and supports Cork.

Bateman wrote:
    Usual performance for an Irish club. Based on the standards of 10 years ago maybe, but certainly not based on the standards of the past 5 years. I'd say he was at the game though. Even if he wasn't though, he could have watched it on TV.

you mean the last 3 years . Wasn't it 5 years ago that Shels.....................

MrJoeSoap wrote:

If they get Everton will the game be played at the Cross? Are there alternatives if not?

Unfortunatley, I think that it would be in Dublin, as the Cross isnt up to scratch. Financially though, City would make the proverbial killing.

I wonder if Roy Keane was watching and if he was what he thought of it all :D

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Unfortunatley, I think that it would be in Dublin, as the Cross isnt up to scratch. Financially though, City would make the proverbial killing.

If they do happen to get Everton they'd certainly get a decent attendance at Landsdowne, dare I say even more than Shels got vs Deportivo. The whole league would be out to support them.

Except Jonny68 by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Damn straight. And if they got Everton I could forsee many eircom League supporters making the short trip accross the water, just as many did to go to Deportivo.

Yeah Everton would have to be the cheapest team to play, just take the ferry from dublin. It might be a good draw considering everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork City playing a home match in Dublin.

No way. :mad:

Unfortunately it may be the only solution. Cork were clearly breaching UEFA regulations last night, and they may ban Turners Cross from use. In this case where else would you suggest?

Cobh :D

• Advertisement

Cobh :D

Lol.

The draw is on Eurosport at 12 o'clock.

We can get 1 of 5

Everton
    Hamburg
    Slavia Pargue
    Auxere or
    PAOK FC (Greece)

Id like Prague. That would be a good trip.

Everton would probably be the cheapest. But they and Hamburg look to be the tough teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Interest in, and attendence at, a home game v Everton would be huge. If that came to pass, If it was switched to landsdowne road the only irritating thing would be the thought of irish liverpool supporters turning up just to taunt & sing loverpool songs.

From a qualifying perspective, Im guessing prague or PAOK would be cork supporters' preference..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A great result for Cork last night. This will help to put the LOI on the map. I only saw glimpses of the last 20 mins of this match. Dju seemed to have most of he ball in that time but didnt create anything open, although there was always a risk they would nick a goal. From what I read, Cork could have equally nicked a goal thorughout the match.

Well done Cork!

If Cork do have to aplay in Landsdowne Road (which seems inevitable) the the majority of tickets better go on sale in Cork , it would be downright unfair if anyone who is a regualr supporter and/or was at the match last night didn't get to go .

• Advertisement

^ There would be no fear of that anyways. Id assume 10000 tickets would be sent to Cork straight away.
    redspider wrote:
    Dju seemed to have most of he ball in that time but didnt create anything open, although there was always a risk they would nick a goal.

The last 10 minutes were torture, but in a strange way, I knew we were completely comfortable.

Slavia Prague are their next opponents.

Prague have a pretty intimidating UEFA Cup record of Played 70, won 31, drawn 16.

They have had a number of players capped at international level for the Czech Republic.

In 1996 Slavia qualified to the UEFA Cup semi-final, and in 1997 to the UEFA Cup Winner´s Cup quarter-finals and in 1999 to UEFA Cup quarter-finals.

They beat Celta Vigo at home by 2-0, but had already lost the first leg 3-0.

Bad draw for Cork IMO , its neither a glamour tie or an easy tie .

I think there will be a right bit of cash going Corks way. I also think that cork can beat this team, they have away advantage first which is always good to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

they also beat us in the competition back in 94/95, ironically enough when rico was in chrage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That’s a tough draw for Cork but it is certainly a team that they have a chance of progressing past. The away leg first is a huge advantage for Cork and if they can come back from that no more than a goal down they will have a huge crowd cheering them on in Ireland and I feel they can do it. They were simply excellent last night and played some fantastic football.

Im quietly optimistic about this tie.

Cork should continue with their style of play. I dont think they should be going to Prague looking to lose the match by one goal or scraping a draw. They should treat it like any other game and try to win it. I just hope the cork players will continue playing the way they normally do and not try and defend for 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well done City on getting through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Congrats to Cork...great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    A great result for Cork last night. This will help to put the LOI on the map. I only saw glimpses of the last 20 mins of this match. Dju seemed to have most of he ball in that time but didnt create anything open, although there was always a risk they would nick a goal. From what I read, Cork could have equally nicked a goal thorughout the match.

Well done Cork!
    Phsycology took its toll in the last few minutes. Corks main objective was not to concede, Djurgarden had to score. That meant Cork were creaping deaper and deaper into their own half and Dju were attacking. Other than the end of the match Cork were by far the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

congrats to Cork an all that but I just want to know how they have made history, fair enough knocking out a Swedish team is good but Shels reached the 1st round proper last year and Bohs did I think 3 years ago beating Kaiserslautern away in the 1st round proper

Yeah, thats right Bohsman. I think RTE got it all Pete Tong. I think Bohs got that 1.666 co efficent 5 years ago (or something like that) and this season we had to get some great results so we wouldnt drop a sh1t load of places in the co-efficent league.

We lost the Bohs coefficiants for this season and dropped two places because of it . We should rise again though after some good results this year .

If only Longford hadn't..................... :mad: .

bohsman wrote:
    congrats to Cork an all that but I just want to know how they have made history, fair enough knocking out a Swedish team is good but Shels reached the 1st round proper last year and Bohs did I think 3 years ago beating Kaiserslautern away in the 1st round proper
    Don't know about making history but Cork are the only Irish team to get past the 2 qualifying rounds and into the UEFA cup proper. Maybe that's what RTE are talking about?

how did bohs do it then ?

jubbly wrote:
    how did bohs do it then ?
    It was only 1 qualifying round then.

I can remember them playing back then but I cant remember the rounds , the teams etc.

Not a mention about Shelbourne. Its like we have evaporated. Those games against Lille and Deportivo seem like a decade ago.

Well at least Irish sides have broken the mould and reached the 3rd round of the Champions league and 1st round proper of the UEFA Cup. So its defintely a raising of standards.

jubbly wrote:
    I can remember them playing back then but I cant remember the rounds , the teams etc.

Not a mention about Shelbourne. Its like we have evaporated. Those games against Lille and Deportivo seem like a decade ago.

Well at least Irish sides have broken the mould and reached the 3rd round of the Champions league and 1st round proper of the UEFA Cup. So its defintely a raising of standards.

Agreed, but this simply HAS to continue over a number of seasons so we can show it isn't just a fluke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement