Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN failed....... carrier line!

• 25-08-2005 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

new to this forum, but need some help and advice.

have been trying to get ISDN installed for last year and a half. Now neighbours have moved in across the road opening a business and were given ISDN. Now eircom are telling me that even if we get broadband (west of ireland) that my phone line hasn't the capacity to hold broadband or ISDN.

surely i'm paying the same line rental as everyone else in teh country so i shoudl have the same entitlements.

has any had this problem? really need some help.

Need to get ISDN form home office!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very Vey common problem , your line is split ( ie a carrier) so they will not provision ISDN unless pressurised.

If you hassle them for ISDN now you will have an unsplit line when it is installed and therefore will have the option of BB in future.

All you have now is an unusable analogue line for which you pay full whack rental.

I would start by mailing phil.nolan@eircom.ie , explain that you have a business as do the neighbours , and that you need ISDN for the same reason that they got it.

Also check out wireless in case your wires never work, see www.westnet.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

thanks for that spongebob.

everytime i call eircom i go through 1901 and only seem to get a sales advisor, and am constantly told that an engineer will get back to. Which they never do!!!!!

I'm not that fused about getting BB if i could only get ISDN i'd be very happy. Who is Phil Nolan in Eircom?

Phil runs that awful 1901 system , amongst other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Grainne wrote:
    have been trying to get ISDN installed for last year and a half.
    Er, why? It's only twice as fast as a regular dial up when you use the one channel. I used it for a few years then switched over to BB as soon as I could when living in Dublin. ISDN is a rip-off.

Forget ISDN if you want to use the Internet, BB is the only way to go.

I'm living in a small-ish town in Meath. My line constantly fails the BB test, yet other people about 100 metres away have BB. The reason for this is because the wiring used by Eircom to link my particular house is ancient (the type on poles) and very 'noisy'. I can only manage about 22k on dial-up. If I take my laptop into an office in Dublin city centre I get 56k every time.

the carrier line that i have can't be upgraded.

and even if broadband is available in my area (it isn't at the moment) its still not an option for me coz i'm on a carrier line.

can't get ISDN or broadband!

• Advertisement

I'm living in a small-ish town in Meath. My line constantly fails the BB test, yet other people about 100 metres away have BB. The reason for this is because the wiring used by Eircom to link my particular house is ancient (the type on poles) and very 'noisy'. I can only manage about 22k on dial-up. If I take my laptop into an office in Dublin city centre I get 56k every time.

And thats why you get ISDN. ISDN is far less tolerant of crappy lines and comes with some service levels unlike normal Irish lines. Therefore Eircom have to clean up the line and test it as they install ISDN .

Its free to install and uninstall at present so for one months ISDN rental between install and uninstall you could clean up your analogue line and give you double the 22k you get now for the cost of the difference in rental (about €15 dearer than analogue)

Thats €15 well spend in your case I would say :)

spongebob

do you think theres a good chance that i'll get ISDN if i put up a fight?

i don't really want to go down teh road of getting satellite broadband and its quite expensive and i'm not sure my company will fork out for this .

Yes Gráinne

Once upon a time a woman called Gráinne from Mayo was the Osama Bin Laden of her day so they signed a peace treaty with her in the end as all Mayo Gráinnes should know.

very nice spongebob!

Advertisement