Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP setup Q - not answered in sticky

Options
  • 25-08-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I've being having a look around here for a while now and I can't find a satisfactory answer to this so here goes. I'll be getting NTL BB installed in a month or so. I'm gonna ditch EsatBT BB and eircom line rental. Think I'll have to send the house phone back to eircom aswell so I'll be looking for a phone. I'm looking to use VoiP. Think I'll be going with Blueface. Can I hook up a standard cordless (or whatever its called) phone to the wireless Linksys WRT54GP2 router that I'll be getting from Blueface or what do you recommend? I already have a wireless Linksys WRT54G router but I suppose I'll have to replace that with the one from Blueface. Also, my BB point is going to be in my boxroom beside my PC yet the house phone will reside downstairs. What do you recommend? Should I go for a VoIP phone or will I just buy a standard cordless/wireless one in the shops. Sorry bout all the questions, any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is your current router an ATA? If not get the one from Blueface. I would think ATA and cordless phone are better than IP phone. It really comes down to budget (Buying ATA and phone if you have no phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

paulm17781 wrote:
    Is your current router an ATA? If not get the one from Blueface. I would think ATA and cordless phone are better than IP phone. It really comes down to budget (Buying ATA and phone if you have no phone).
    My current router is not ATA, it's just a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Looks like I'll have to get the Linksys router from Blueface if I want to keep my wireless setup. Am I right in saying that if I get the Linksys router from blueface and a cordless phone, I'll have to keep the base station of the phone plugged into the router?

aaf wrote:
    My current router is not ATA, it's just a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Looks like I'll have to get the Linksys router from Blueface if I want to keep my wireless setup. Am I right in saying that if I get the Linksys router from blueface and a cordless phone, I'll have to keep the base station of the phone plugged into the router?

That's correct. With DECT phones you can assign multiple handsets to one base though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

aaf wrote:
    My current router is not ATA, it's just a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Looks like I'll have to get the Linksys router from Blueface if I want to keep my wireless setup.

If you already have a wireless router than you can use any normal ATA and just plug it into the back of the router. You don't necessarily have the get a new router.

paulm17781 wrote:
    That's correct. With DECT phones you can assign multiple handsets to one base though.
    Any recommendations for DECT phones? Will probably want to get two handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I got a cheap BT one in Woodies and it's not great. You're better off spending a bit more and forking out for a decent panasonic, or other big name. The quality off them seem to differ greatly. Get one with 2 handsets, you'll get two base stations, one that will need to be plugged into the wall, and into your new router. The other will just need to be plugged into the wall (it does not require a telephone connection)

aaf wrote:

Make sure you will get a signal from the rest of the house.

What about one of these Binatone phones? Never really heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

aaf wrote:
    Think I'll be going with Blueface. Can I hook up a standard cordless (or whatever its called) phone to the wireless Linksys WRT54GP2 router that I'll be getting from Blueface or what do you recommend? .

I am using blueface with the WRT54GP2, and thinks are worknig find, I have a DECT phone plugged into the back of the WRT54GP2 and two handsets registered to the DECT unit.

You could get the cheaper Linksys PAP ATA unit, but i reckon one single unit (the WRT54GP2) is neater than your existing WRT54G and another ATA unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

aaf wrote:
    I already have a wireless Linksys WRT54G router but I suppose I'll have to replace that with the one from Blueface.
    You could just get the Linksys PAP2 ATA from Blueface (€69.99) and continue to use your existing WRT54G router.

Get a multi handset dect pack and plut the base station into the ATA in your box room. Then you can put the other handsets anywhere where you have an electrical outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

aaf wrote:
    I've being having a look around here for a while now and I can't find a satisfactory answer to this so here goes.
    What is your VoIP setup?

Argos just finished a set of special offers they were doing on DECT multi-handsets - some were 33% off :o

causal

causal wrote:
    What is your VoIP setup?

Argos just finished a set of special offers they were doing on DECT multi-handsets - some were 33% off :o

causal
    Had looked at that thread but no mention of phones used and only one mention of the new Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router. Must check Argos out aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

aaf wrote:

Watch out for 2.4GHz ones, they could possibly interfere with your WiFi signal (though if there is not much else in that band in your vicinity changing the channels might overcome it anyway). It is safer to go for ones in other frequency ranges.

dam099 wrote:
    Watch out for 2.4GHz ones, they could possibly interfere with your WiFi signal (though if there is not much else in that band in your vicinity changing the channels might overcome it anyway). It is safer to go for ones in other frequency ranges.
    Never thought of that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

aaf wrote:
    What about one of these Binatone phones? Never really heard of them.
    fwiw, my personal requirements were as follows:
    Essential:
    - DECT x4
    - caller id
    - illuminated display
    - handsfree/speakerphone
    - page facility (internal call from one handset to another)
    - answerphone
    - ringer volume control (including silent)
    - decent battery life
    - compact and simple design
    non essential but preferred:
    - speed dial
    - address book
    - SMS send/receive

I got all of the above (save the SMS) from the Southwestern Bell Freedom Phone - in Argos for €180. They do single, double, and tri-sets, in addition to the quad set I chose.
    You may be able to get more f/or less as your requirements dictate.

hth,
    causal

causal wrote:
    fwiw, my personal requirements were as follows:
    Essential:
    - DECT x4
    - caller id
    - illuminated display
    - handsfree/speakerphone
    - page facility (internal call from one handset to another)
    - answerphone
    - ringer volume control (including silent)
    - decent battery life
    - compact and simple design
    non essential but preferred:
    - speed dial
    - address book
    - SMS send/receive

I got all of the above (save the SMS) from the Southwestern Bell Freedom Phone - in Argos for €180. They do single, double, and tri-sets, in addition to the quad set I chose.
    You may be able to get more f/or less as your requirements dictate.

hth,
    causal

Cheers, I'll dig out the Argos catalogue later and check them out.

Advertisement