Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snoring Help!

• 25-08-2005 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Anybody any ideas on help with a Partner that snores, we have tried all the usual sprays, nasel strips etc etc,. It has gone on for years and nothing seems to work, and I am just worn out, it doesn't matter if he is in a different room as everyone can still here him. He is not overweight, a non smoker so these are not the cause, it is now getting to be a serious concern as I am not getting any sleep most nights and am completely wrecked

any ideas would be great

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Earplugs for yourself? Sometimes it's easier to deal with the problem than the source...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I know, there are operations that can be done to reduce its noise level. Sounds like you're very light sleeper though. Sounds in other rooms in the house would never wake me up or prevent me from going to sleep.

It sounds to me like there are two issues - he snores, and you're a really light sleeper. Neither of them are problems on their own, but combined cause you to lose sleep. Perhaps you could try tackle your light sleeping as well, as a Doctor is there anything you can do to make you sleep heavier.

There's also an old trick of your partner putting on his pyjamas top (if he wears one) backwards, and sticking a tennis ball in the pocket. That way, if he tries to roll over in his sleep, the ball will jam into his back, forcing him to roll back onto his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

tirl wrote:
    any ideas would be great
    There's a treatment I saw in the UK whereby the snorer wears an oxygen mask.

I snore VERY loudly (so I'm told) after a night on the sauce. Is your SO a drinker?

Last option would be 'Quies' ear-plugs. They're French you can buy them in most pharmacies in Dublin and they totally block out any noises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

tirl wrote:
    Anybody any ideas on help with a Partner that snores, we have tried all the usual sprays, nasel strips etc etc,. It has gone on for years and nothing seems to work, and I am just worn out, it doesn't matter if he is in a different room as everyone can still here him. He is not overweight, a non smoker so these are not the cause, it is now getting to be a serious concern as I am not getting any sleep most nights and am completely wrecked

any ideas would be great

T

Try the silent night ring. It is available in any boots stores for abour €30 i think. A friend of mine had the same concerns as youeself and got the ring for her partner. She said even thought it didn't remove the snoring completley if helped an huge amount. Give it a try. Nothing to loose only 30 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Thanks everyone, yes I am a light sleeper, have tried the ear plugs but then wont hear the alarm in the am. Don't think it necessitates taking sleeping pills or a visit to the doctor for me, will check out the silent night ring gafarrell, and report on it efficicacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

I know a shop in galway that sells a thing called stop snore. Some kind of aroma therapy cure.Its in the Galway Shopping on the headford road in a shop called Candleman. Heard it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Have you tried a product called Snore-eze? Get it any chemist

Alternatively get him an appointment and have him checked out for sleep apnea

http://www.isat.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have you sent your partner to a doctor he might have a genuine medical problem like pollops there a kind growth in the nasial passage... does he suffer with hayfever or Sinuses... It could develop into sleep apnia I don't mean to scare you but thats a very serious condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Chew gum while you sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Chew gum while you sleep?

Eh danger alert!

Maybe your partner would be happy to get the operation done? It has a 70% success rate of eliminating snoring, it is done by laser surgery to the back of the throat. But the only thing is the after op pain can be severe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

gafarrell wrote:
    Try the silent night ring. It is available in any boots stores for abour €30 i think. A friend of mine had the same concerns as youeself and got the ring for her partner. She said even thought it didn't remove the snoring completley if helped an huge amount. Give it a try. Nothing to loose only 30 euro

Actually the ring costs €50! I know coz I have been toying with the idea of getting one for hubby for a few weeks now, and I have seen them everywhere at that price.

Now Snore -eze I can recommend - definitely definitely helps - it is a menthol-ish liquid that is sprayed into the back of the throat before bed, and it lubricates the throat and palate, thereby reducing the snore.So much so that I occasionally prodded the husband when he was silent just to make sure he was still breathing!
    He stopped using it as they have changed the formulation slightly and he said he doesn't like the taste anymore, too much like toothpaste he says........so I have taken to going to bed a bit before, gives me the chance to nod off before I hear it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sew a pocket on the back of his pyjama top (or T-shirt) and put a tennis ball in it. This keeps him from sleeping on his back (he will turn on to his side for comfort). Try a golf ball if the tennis ball doesn't work.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement