Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Port Tunnel Toll's

Options
  • 25-08-2005 10:19am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hope its not a repost, but did you hear the toll rates for the Port Tunnel? According to what i heard this morning, its free for trucks which we all knew, but €12 peak/€6 off peak for cars :eek:. I knew it would be dear, but thats having a laugh. At those prices its obvious that they will achieve there goal of discouraging car users from the tunnel.

I heard as well that it has a lot to do with not wanting the tunnel to be backed up with traffic for safety reasons. Sorry lads, but its ethier safe or not, or somebody hasn't done there homework right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well they don't want cars in it. So a high toll makes sense.
    But, by the same rationale, should the trucks have to pay €12 to drive through the city?
    Also, I am a bit surprised, as I thought they would make it expensive, but tolerable, in order to generate revenue (which seems to be the No1 priority of all government policies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

if they are so concerned about safety shouldn't they reconsider putting a toll booth in the tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

prospect wrote:
    Well they don't want cars in it. So a high toll makes sense.
    But, by the same rationale, should the trucks have to pay €12 to drive through the city?
    Well, that's the thing. They're going to have to charge trucks twice the tunnel toll to go through the city, otherwise they *will* go through the city to avoid the toll. :rolleyes:

€12 - I can see their logic for it, as thousands of trucks rolling through a tunnel everyday will quickly take its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I cant see a problem with the toll prices for cars. If we can get as many trucks off the strangled main routes to & fro dublin, then us mere mortals in cars/on bikes will have an easier life. One tunnel isn't going to solve this though, but i'm sure it will alleviate some of it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

seamus wrote:
    Well, that's the thing. They're going to have to charge trucks twice the tunnel toll to go through the city, otherwise they *will* go through the city to avoid the toll. :rolleyes:

€12 - I can see their logic for it, as thousands of trucks rolling through a tunnel everyday will quickly take its toll.
    The trucks actually go through it free. The main idea for the toll for cars (I think) is to keep it empty for the trucks providing as much incentive for bypassing the city as possible.

I wonder if Michael O'Leary will buy himself a truck to go through it for free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

€12 is the peak price,I am sure it will come down at night and weekends.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ciarsd wrote:
    I cant see a problem with the toll prices for cars. If we can get as many trucks off the strangled main routes to & fro dublin, then us mere mortals in cars/on bikes will have an easier life. One tunnel is going to solve this though, but i'm sure it will alleviate some of it
    The plan is that most trucks coming through Dublin Port will use the tunnel. They travel the 6 or so kilometres onto the M1 and then most will turn onto the gridlocked M50.
    Great plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When the HGVs are removed from the quays they should install a continuous bus lane along them. This freed-up roadspace in the city centre shouldn't be handed over to the private car but devoted to public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stevenmu wrote:
    The trucks actually go through it free.
    D'oh! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ubu wrote:
    if they are so concerned about safety shouldn't they reconsider putting a toll booth in the tunnel?

Theres no toll booth in the tunnel.

It's at the east wall road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€12 is fair enough at rush hour - cars shouldn't be using it as a short cut to the city centre and interfering with port traffic. But it should be cheaper off-peak and IMO free at night (ie between 2200 and 0600) - there wouldn't be enough cars at night to cause congestion and there's no point forcing people to drive through built up areas when the tunnel is available.

trucks won't be allowed to travel through the city centre after the tunnel opens unless they can prove they are going to a city centre destination. that said, parts of the city already have truck bans in place but I doubt the gardai bother to enforce them.

Advertisement