Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief on Rent

Options
  • 25-08-2005 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Is it possible to get Tax relif on my rent and if so

a) How do i apply for it
    b) How is it calculated, I spend E1000 pm in rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1000 pm on RENT!! Thats dead money! Buy! Buy! Buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

go to the revenure on line service. you can download the form and all the info you need is there

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fill in and sent off form RENT1. Its worth about €300 per year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Would a landlord have any reasons for not allowing you to claim tax relief other than an attempt to keep the whole thing under the table?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

iguana wrote:
    Would a landlord have any reasons for not allowing you to claim tax relief other than an attempt to keep the whole thing under the table?

No.
    The only reason a landlord would not want you to claim the rent relief would be if he/she was not filing their rental income and paying tax on it.
    Given that its only worth about 300 a year, I have heard of two seperate cases of people being offered a 300 rebate on their final months rent instead of claiming it. Of course you could always check with the Revenue Commissioners to see whether all is kosher or not.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

Just as a point of interest. It is worth in tax credits for 2005 up to - €300 for single persons under age 55, €600 for single over age 55, €600 for married or widowed under age 55 and €1200 for Married or widowed over age 55.

Advertisement