Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OIL Price in Ireland - solution

Options
  • 25-08-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

for all the drivers out there....

-
    FYI
    This is not a 'round robin' but an extremely good idea. Forgive me if you are not interested, but I do think it affects all of us.

We are hitting EUR1.10/litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying EUR1.50/litre.

The following suggestion makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC

nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we

consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest

oil companies, ESSO and Statoil. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Statoil petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...
    keep
    reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and not

buy at ESSO/Statoil) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
    PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 95c a LITRE RANGE.
    It's easy to make this happen.

Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Maxol, Texaco, Jet, etc. i.e. boycott Statoil and Esso.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hmmm... forgive me for being cynical but I can't see it working

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

Why not - the people in this country have to stand up and be counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

madboggar wrote:
    Why not - the people in this country have to stand up and be counted

Check out the thread on boycott of pubs on September 9th.

Everyone in Ireland talks a good game, but when it comes to doing something to look after our own interest.

Don't know why. Seems like a very selfish way to be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

To be honest I do not reckon this boycott crap will make any difference. What I propose is some form of public protest (even though I hate protests) against the the extra excise (think there is excise on it) and tax on oil substitutes.

I think if you are running your car off rapeseep oil or by recycling deep fat frier oil or even by mixing normal petrol with ethanol produced from distilling waste potatoes, you should not have to pay any tax or at least not pay much. Then the oil companies would see the decrease in demand for their products and realise they would have to drop price or reduce production.

I think recently I read somewhere that you can get a converter on you car and run it on rapeseed oil (I think) which is being sold from certain petrol stations at 65c a litre. The tax has been withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

This has more to do with spam that petrol prices, 300 x 10 = 3,000, etc. etc.
    This has been around the block before at least the poster this time had the common sense to replace BP with Statoil after they copied and pasted it from elsewhere.

If you spend too much on petrol here is what you do.

1. Be price conscious, know the cheapest price in your area or in the areas you travel to and buy your petrol there.
    2. Check http://www.irishfuelprices.com (which is down for an upgrade until 01/09.)
    3. Use alternatives to the car where possible e.g. walking, cycling, train etc., and if you like it use them more often.
    4. AA Roadwach have a few common sense tips also.

I know it's common sense but these boycott ideas don't work. If you boycott Esso and Statoil, Shell down the road will just up his price cos he will see you coming, then you'll just go back to Esso and Statoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

por wrote:
    If you spend too much on petrol here is what you do.

or try and reduce your outgoings on descretionary things like alcohol or nights out etc or try and increase your income.

petrol doesnt really make up a hugh amount of an average family budget anyway. u do notice it alot more though when u pump 50 euro into a tank. no question about that for sure!
    maybe buy a more efficient car, ud be surprised how little some cars consume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The best way to avoid getting ripped off is price around Tesco are currently the cheapest imo. For diesel drivers doing the big kilometreage buy a tank similar to your home heating one and buy a 1,000litres and store it in your garage, it will save you on average about €100 per tank full compared to buying it at the pumps. For thoses farmers reading this you know what you can do ;);) to cut costs !! Beware the customs though. Seriously though if we just driver more effeciently and buy more effecient cars we will survive. Anyway we are being ripped off all the same, €1.15 a litre in the usa its between $2.50 to $2.90 a USGallon Gasoline here works out at $5.35 a USgallon. This works out at the equivelant of €0.60 a litre is what regular gasoline costs in the USA right now, exactly half the price when prices shove up to €1.20/a litre in the coming weeks. Seriously we need to stand up and fight on this one we are being taxed off the road. Remeber all this is on top of the rip-off VRT, annual road tax and of course hyper insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We could all go buy our petrol accross the bor.............ooh wait, its dearer up there, but we're supposed to be the dearest for everything, so how does that work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I'm usually not a big supporter of boycotts etc. Often coz they are badly thought out.

This idea however has a lot of merit. A lot of petrol stations watch the price in the other stations in a particular area. As long as the level of business is staying the same they are happy to mirror each other. Now if the bigger brands suddenly find a drop in business they may drop their prices to see if they can regain their business.

Worth a shot definitely.

Advertisement