Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Blackhall Place - is it safe?

Options
  • 25-08-2005 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi
    My neice has been offered student accommodation in Blackhall Place beside the Law Library.
    She'll be going to college in Aungier Street. What we're wondering is how safe an area is this for a single girl, eg walking home in the dark? Is there much danger to her around Stoneybatter?
    The owners of the property advised taking a taxi if coming home in the dark.
    This would cost a fortune in winter!!
    Anybody familiar with the area or had any experience of living there? It'll take her a good 30 mins to walk home.
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks
    Goffie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Goffie wrote:
    Hi
    My neice has been offered student accommodation in Blackhall Place beside the Law Library.
    She'll be going to college in Aungier Street. What we're wondering is how safe an area is this for a single girl, eg walking home in the dark? Is there much danger to her around Stoneybatter?
    The owners of the property advised taking a taxi if coming home in the dark.
    This would cost a fortune in winter!!
    Anybody familiar with the area or had any experience of living there? It'll take her a good 30 mins to walk home.
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks
    Goffie

i presume you mean beside the Law Society? The Library is on Church street. i'll assume you did. it's a rough enough joint around there. there used to be a lot of prostitution, mainly junkie whores. it's cleaned up a fair bit, but there are still johns cruising the area. the taxi advice is sound and, imo, necessary.

i wouldn't be happy about my niece being there tbh. further up the road, into stoneybatter is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Tis a rough area all right, although I can't remember the last time I heard of a mugging etc. around the area.
    "A few ladies of the night" hang around the road, so if their around ...drugs etc. usually are close by. They installed cctv on Benburb Street, which moved the problem around the corner onto Blackhall place.
    It's a fairly busy area now, and well lit, like any part of the city it has it's bad days!!

On the plus side it is within walking distance of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Walking distance or the LUAS stops close by, it's not as bad an area as it used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Highest rape, drug abuse, murder, muggings, assalts in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I have lived in the area for 3 years, never seen any real hassle,as others said
    it has improved. There is a hostel for homeless men on Benburb St, these guys are mainly winos but not junkies and pretty harmless to be honest.

'Drunken fool' - yeah, sounds like an appropriate user name. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Where did you get these stats from? Can they be verified?
    Seems to be a mixed response so hard to advise my neice which way to go. If all the ladies of the night have moved into Blackhall Place that ain't going to be nice when she's walking home with kerb crawlers creeping up on her!!
    Anyone else have any opinions and big thanks to all who answered
    Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Personally I'd see if there was any other accomodation around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks, everyone. She's got good accommodation on Griffith College campus so problem solved.
    Helped me get more acquainted with Dublin anyway!
    Cheers
    Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

Good to hear she got sorted.

Just for the record: A friend of mine used to live on Blackhall Place. I used to walk down and visit him. There's some dodgy areas around there. I was propositioned by drugged up hookers on more than one occasion, who then slagged me off and shouted after me when I politely declined.

My friend was mugged once on the way home from the pub. To be honest, I've a feeling he started it (too much testosterone), but he claims different.

I wouldn't want my niece living down there on her own..

MIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It comes down to you.

I have lived in many dodgy places including St Teresa's Gardens in Dublin and extremely sketchy joints like the Mission District in San Francisco.

What I learned really fast is that if you walk down the street looking like you are not from the area you are inviting trouble.

• Advertisement

"THE MISSION"
    That makes Blackhall place look like Foxrock!
    Gangbangin on Market, drive bys on Howard.... parties on the Castro.... hangovers in the Bay!!!! Damn good memories ;-) GOD BLESS SAN FRAN!

Hey McGuiver,

You know what I am talkin 'bout. You could usually find my off 16th street & Mission or maybe drinkin in some Irish bar in the 'loin'!

Everyday I passed by my Mexican neighbor selling crack outside my door I would nod to him hoping one day he would acknowledge me as his neighbor.

His reply was always...

"What the f*** are you looking at homes. You want a cap in yo ass?"

Ah, good days... and the Mupits in Dublin think they're "hard". They'd never survive a day on the wild side.
    I got caught up in a shoot out on 101 one day, tv stuff, cops everywhere, shotguns out the window.. mad Mexicans!! So many stories I could write a book!!

Yeah on second thoughts Blackhall place is lovely :-)

McGuiver,

I found some pictures of a couple of my old 'neighbors'...

You don't really see these kinds of characters in Dublin!

Have a look...

Mexican Street Hustler - 16th Street
    http://tinypic.com/bf2fep.jpg

Melanie - Homeless girl on 16th Street & Mission
    http://tinypic.com/bf2f5u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

dSTAR wrote:

Mexican Street Hustler - 16th Street
    http://tinypic.com/bf2fep.jpg

I think that bloke lives in Finglas now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jazzbandit

I think I've pulled melanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I know the thread is 5 years old folks but rather than starting a new one I can have it answered here.

What's the story with Blackhall Place- is it still as bad? I pass through Stoneybatter everyday and to be honest while it's not the nicest area I've never really seen any trouble. I've also never noticed any junkies, prostitutes or drug dealing around the area so I'd imagine it must have really been cleaned up in the 5 years since this thread was started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Stoneybatter seems to getting popular with young people, students, artsy folk, young couples who want to be near town for work and social life and that, while still having a community spirit. I also know Italians and Spanish people living there who picked the area because there are lots of other Italians/Spanish/French etc there. I personally think its a great area. The accommodation is house rather than apartments, town is a stroll away and but it has a neighbourhood vibe. Sure its still not the nicest, Manor St is still a bit dodge but I don't think Stoneybatter proper is a bad spot at all! I think I'd move there had I money to get closer to town!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ucd man

Any thoughts on what apartments around Blackhallcourt are like??

Thinking of moving into a place there, a 3 bed for 1200 a month, looks nice on photos and decent price compared to whats going on daft.

Is the area bad, considering we have turned down apartments in Bakers Yard and around IFSC purely because of the area???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ah, Stoneybatter is grand! I lived in the IFSC for over a year and then moved and okay, it's not as new and as modern, but never had any trouble tbf. No complaints from me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I've lived on Blackhall Place for a few years now. Never had any problems. I love that you're walking distance to the city centre and never have to rely on public transport. Best indian takeaway I've tried in the city is around the corner on North King St, great chipper called Sorrentos in Arbour Hill, plenty of decent pubs like Walshes etc in Stoneybatter etc.

Can't say I've had any run ins with "ladies of the night" in my time here! Think that maybe more down the Phoenix Park side of Arbour Hill nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Well I live in Dorset Street (about ten minutes away from stonybatter area) and never once had a problem. A mate of mine lives in north kingstreet and I used to hang around there a few years ago; again no problems.

I think it has cleared up a lot lately. Though I would stay away from the flats... I do remember a few people there not being very nice. :P

But so long as it's not living in the flats I'd say she'd be grand. Best thing to do is to drive around the area about 2-3:30 am on Thursday - Saturday and see what it's like then, see how many club goers make their way that way and if it's nice or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Spent a lot of time up Stoneybatter way over the last year and I've never had any problems. I've never felt unsafe and employed the same caution I would walking anywhere in Dublin after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

So, last night in the Blackhall area, about 2am, the Garda helicopter and many guards on-foot. No idea what was going on, but hard to sleep.

Novella wrote: »
    So, last night in the Blackhall area, about 2am, the Garda helicopter and many guards on-foot. No idea what was going on, but hard to sleep.

It was a football thing. Bohs were playing and some scummer got nicked on Upper Dorset about 9:30ish. I'd imagine it was more fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

No it wasn't 'a football thing'. There was no football on Thursday night. The game was on Tuesday. And there was no fighting at the game or in and around the ground.

S23 wrote: »
    No it wasn't 'a football thing'. There was no football on Thursday night. The game was on Tuesday. And there was no fighting at the game or in and around the ground.

Then I have no idea. I got the days wrong. :D

You've no idea but it didn't stop you making up something about 'some scummer' getting arrested on Dorset St

S23 wrote: »
    You've no idea but it didn't stop you making up something about 'some scummer' getting arrested on Dorset St

Really? Huh... I'll make a mental note that when the vans come along and some scummer gets dragged into one of them that it was just something I was making up! Bless you friend; you really have shown me that I just imagine everything. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Someone getting arrested and you suggesting that someone was arrested in football related violence are two very different things. As someone who attends games on a weekly basis I find the assumption that it must have been football related and sure there was probably more fighting relating to a match and that the police helicopter was still around the area at 2am (when the game had taken place 2 days earlier) lazy, uninformed and insulting.

Advertisement