Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resi DS details inside! (with added poll!!)

Options
  • 25-08-2005 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

The first information regarding a DS version of Resident Evil has emerged from Japan and confirms last month's leaked reports that Capcom are intending to bring a remake of the original game to Nintendo's handheld.

Called BioHazard Deadly Silence in Japan, the game is being released to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Capcom's archetypal survival horror series and, while being called a remake, will feature several new elements to take advantage of DS's unique functions, Japan's Famitsu magazine has revealed.

The top screen will display the map, equipped weapon and inventory items, while the touch-screen will be used to view the action in traditional third-person.

However, when a flesh-eating foe is encountered the view switches to a first-person perspective and the player can use the stylus to attack the adversary in two different ways depending on which character they have chosen to play as: Jill slashes away with a knife, while beefy old Chris hammers in with his fists.

The touch-screen will also be utilised in other ways - like wiping blood away with a stroke of the stylus - and we're anticipating that it will play a large part in solving some of the game's new puzzles.

The microphone will be used for such things as mouth-to-mic resuscitation, while WiFi will also be taken advantage of, although there's no news yet of exactly how this will work.

Although no release date has been confirmed, if Deadly Silence is going to be released exactly 10 years after the original BioHazard, then it would be hitting Japanese shelves in March 2006. We'll bring you more news as we get it.

So good news for DS owners (even tho i dont have one)
    But this got me thinking, after 10 years of resi, whats the best one??
    Im personally torn between Resi 2, REmake, and RE4. Resi 2 was one of the first ps1 games i owned, and the first game i ever played with a great story, great action, all those endings, great graphics (for the time). It had it all. Whats your favourite resi?
    EDIT
    buggered up the poll cause boards was running slowly..ah well what can ya do

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm torn between Resi 2 and 4. Resi 2 had more action, some of the best bosses ever, more zombies, more sadistic weaponry and great dismemberment effects all wrapped up in a fantastic b-movie storyline that perfectly complemented the first game and a great soundtrack to boot. Resi 4, well it's the perfect action game. I haven't played an action game that was this consistently brilliant since probably Half-life 1. Excellent bosses, fantastic combat system and probably the best looking game of this generation and just out and out fun. The best thing was that in this day and age of the short but sweet action game, Resi 4 was one huge game that took ages to beat and yet there wasn't one bad moment the whole way through.

Loved Resi 1. Other games in the series have taken a more action orientated feel. The design of Resi one was perfect. A bit like Metroid in a mansion. Remake added to the experience and changed enough that it was well worth playing through the same story.

Resi 3 seemed like more of the same but just not as good as Resi 2 despite an excellent bad guy.

Wasn't too enamoured by Code Veronica. Seemed a bit bland in the action and exploration department. Still a decent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still think Resident Evil 2 is the best. Can't say I'm arsed with yet another remake of the original. I played it on the PSone, then played the Director's Cut and then the REmake for the Gamecube - a fourth version of it is just scraping the barrel now and is nothing to get remotely excited over. I hope this isn't the road the DS is heading down - remake after remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

did you see the DS screenshots?........wouldnt look out of a place on the ngage, hopefully someone faked them with ms paint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

my god it looks bad.. one screenshot looks good but the rest are really bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah, very dodgy looking, hopefully their either faked or at an early stage.
    I still believe the DS can put out some cracking graphics, even in games like this (darker etc.) but it may just take a bit of clever dev work. It's a fact that all machines start out with games that don't do the insides justice, look at the PS2, only now are we seeing games like GT4 which push the machine to its limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

there is a japanese trailer of lost in blue goin around and the graphics look really good, very interestin game too. one to watch.

from cube-europe.com

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/survivalkids_lib/wmv/survivalkids_pv.wmv

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

that looks pretty cool, nice graphics and a nice idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I personally enjoyed Resident Evil 1 the best, hated Nemesis the most. Code Veronica wasn't too bad either. It's a shame they can't make a new Resi for the DS instead of, oh, the millionth remake of the original.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Deadwing wrote:
    So good news for DS owners (even tho i dont have one)
    But this got me thinking, after 10 years of resi, whats the best one??
    Im personally torn between Resi 2, REmake, and RE4. Resi 2 was one of the first ps1 games i owned, and the first game i ever played with a great story, great action, all those endings, great graphics (for the time). It had it all. Whats your favourite resi?
    EDIT
    buggered up the poll cause boards was running slowly..ah well what can ya do

Take note of a new rule in the Charter...

8 Posting articles from other websites

Do NOT post full articles. Only post a paragraph or two of an article, then you must name the publication (Eurogamer, GameSpot, IGN etc), and link to the full article (or a full URL with the site name is fine, like so - http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60660 ). Users repeatedly breaking this rule may be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

remake was what got me started in the resident evil series so that will always be my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually think Resi Evil DS looks cool.... :o

Who cares about the graphics, they look functional to me, sure to be smoother during gameplay.

Looks nice and bloody, for horror gaming on the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

monument wrote:
    Take note of a new rule in the Charter...

8 Posting articles from other websites

Do NOT post full articles. Only post a paragraph or two of an article, then you must name the publication (Eurogamer, GameSpot, IGN etc), and link to the full article (or a full URL with the site name is fine, like so - http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60660 ). Users repeatedly breaking this rule may be banned.

:confused:

um...kay.

Advertisement