Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven appointment 'the worst thing we did': Pardew

• 25-08-2005 11:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/08/25/story217796.html

I agree 100% with this.

"West Ham manager Alan Pardew believes the Football Association stooped to an all-time low when they appointed Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager."

All Sven is good for is pulling woman.I cant belive they made him of of the best paid managers in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think Sven gets the best out of his players. Something which Big Sam seems to be an expert at.
    I think win or bust, the World Cup will be the end of Sven. He's stated a few times that he misses the day-to-day interaction with players that club football brings. And what more could he hope to achieve if England won the World Cup? And if they go out, I'm sure the press will be after his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I don't think Sven gets the best out of his players. Something which Big Sam seems to be an expert at.
    I think win or bust, the World Cup will be the end of Sven. He's stated a few times that he misses the day-to-day interaction with players that club football brings. And what more could he hope to achieve if England won the World Cup? And if they go out, I'm sure the press will be after his head.

How would hire him? he has shown up alot of faults at international level but you have to admit that his qualifying records is second to none!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

I'd have to disagree that Sven's appoinment was a bad move. He has an outstanding record in competitive matches.
    As for Pardew this will not do any favours for him as it just completely shows how biased he is favouring the english managers to the foreign and completely paying no attention to great job Sven has done.
    All of this is just over 1 friendly match, England will qualify for World Cup and will probobly have a good chance of winning it.
    As for Allardyce i wouldnt like to see him succeed Sven, Stuart Pearce would definately be a good successor for the English team and would almost certainly reinforce the traditional english game of a good solid goalkeeper, big strong centre backs (campbell should be captain) and a tough tackling midfield.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

that leads to the question who would replace him...?I am sure there will be a big lobby in the FA pushing for an English man the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sven is a terrible terrible international manager.
    He doens't have the guts to drop either Gerrard or Lampard, or change the system.
    So inturn the midfield sucks atm.
    Its like playing Ronaldinho and Scholes in midfield with nobody else there, whats gona happen!
    ---

Pearce is nowhere near experienced enough, nowhere near it.
    He has been a top class manager for like 10 games.
    I expect somebody foreign again, as thats the way the world is going. McClaren might be an option aswell.
    Either way, England won't win the WC with those two in midfield alone, so England aren't going to win.
    When they don't win, he will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think Sven is doing ok for them. Considering the players they have (I mean in have as in 'reality' rather than in 'hype-land') I'd rate them as consistent q/f s/f potential (which is more or less what he has achieved). I think the English media have their heads so far up their own arses that they think that just having the some of best players in the Premiership and qualifying for finals with relative ease is somehow enough to make you a into a team that should be winning tournaments themselves. It's not.

Tbh the worst thing that ever happened to Sven was to win 5-1 in Germany. There was no where else to go from there but down.

Pardew is of a mentality that 'if you can get 6th in the league with a team full if crap players then you should therefore automatically be able to win it if you have a team of great players'

There's only two flaws with that theory
    1) More of than not its not how it works out
    2) England don't have a team full of great players to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Tbh, it would be a blessing in disguis if one of Gerrard or Lampard got injured. I dont like Sven,but you cant deny he's done pretty well in competitions thus far. I wouldnt have a clue to suggest who could replace him as manager, but i like the thought of Big Sam!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sorry, but England have a fantastic team.
    While their GK is not world class, they have imo the best back 4 in the world, and the best back 4 cover in the world.
    There AMC's are top top quality.
    Beckham is one of the best right sided midfielders in the world imo.
    Left side they are weakish, but have plenty of possibles.
    Up front they have Owen and Rooney, and Rooney plays utterly amazing for England.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

PHB wrote:

Not a chance....Maybe 5 years ago he was in the top 5,noware near it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

He did say in his opinion....i agree too(with PHB) Beckham is a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fergmcd wrote:
    Stuart Pearce would definately be a good successor for the English team and would almost certainly reinforce the traditional english game of a good solid goalkeeper

Is that the same Stuart Pearce that has David James as his first choice keeper at the team he is currently managing?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

in all fairness in a season for man city David James doesnt make that many blunders and im sure you could argue that lehmann (sp?) or carroll have made more than him

i still think hes a massive liability but he is far more consistant on the club scene,and intrestingly he always seems to play brilliantly in the games for city after he has his blunders for england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I dont know what all the england supporters are complaining about. Sven was brought in for a couple of reasons.

He didnt have a mistic meg show running at each training session.

He didnt make howlers like bringing on a defender for an attacker when your 1 goal down

He regularly brings England to the WC Finals. England cant have it every way. If they want a real motivator who can rally the team, he is going to lose out another way - usually tatically. England supporters have a very short term memory IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote:
    I'm sorry, but England have a fantastic team.
    While their GK is not world class, they have imo the best back 4 in the world, and the best back 4 cover in the world.
    There AMC's are top top quality.
    Left side they are weakish, but have plenty of possibles.
    Up front they have Owen and Rooney, and Rooney plays utterly amazing for England.

Wrong on two counts.

Robbo is 2nd best keeper in the EPL, and in the top 5 of European #1s (at an international level, the Italian's could probably fill positions 2-5 after Cech)

And Beckham brings nothing to the team.

IMO... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

A lot of people are saying that Steve McLearn is going to be the next english manager...WHY?

he has done nothing at Boro, mid table team who don't get any thing brilliant out of any of their stars, the young players like Downing and Morrison are the only ones who shine at Boro.

I can see Brian Robson been England manger tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A lot of people are saying that Steve McLearn is going to be the next english manager...WHY?

Probably because he is one of the coaches for England at the moment and was even joint care-taker manager for a friendly match.

And he was also second in command for Man Utd. when they won the treble and was with them for a few years afterwards.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

BaZmO* wrote:
    Probably because he is one of the coaches for England at the moment and was even joint care-taker manager for a friendly match.

And he was also second in command for Man Utd. when they won the treble and was with them for a few years afterwards.

B.

but what has he done at Boro? He has had plenty of money to spend but his team is made up off a load of players coming to the twlight of their carrers (Viduka, Hasselbaink, Nemeth, Ehiogu, Southgate, Rezinger, Shwartzer) and he has spent money a bit foolishly also , that bald head pizza face - Maccrone for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I've said it before about England and I got proven right after the Denmark game, they've a fantastic attacking midfield - Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham will all get you goals, with Joe Cole, or Downing that's 4 constant threats in the last third of the pitch.

However, there's not one defensively-minded player in there, no one hanging back doing the water carrying in front of the back 4 (think Makelele, Hamann, etc) leaving a massive gap between defence and midfield. Any decent counter attacking side will cut them to ribbons, which is exactly what Denmark did. Rommedahl was running at the defence all night and it work. The likes of Duff, Kaka, et al would do the exact same and make chances too.

Sven's biggest problem is either that he can't see this problem (which I don't believe, it's been around since Japan/South Korea) or that he can't pick the players that will fix it - he can't drop Lampard or Gerrard or Beckham (esp Beckham - his captain) or the media would have a field day - you can see the headlines in the Mail already "Why is this foreigner doing dropping one of our best players" and so on. If he had sense he'd walk after the World Cup and retire to some quiet Swedish village where noone gives a toss if he's knocking the secretary or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

While they have a good competitive record on paper, I do not see them play well very often. There's certain factors that influence games. Obviously ability would be the main facter but is closely followed by psychology.
    Austria went out and attacked them and got a draw.
    Poland gave them too much respect and paid the price.
    Azerbaijan attacked them (in the home game) and England were really lucky to come out with a win. Azerbaijan were probably the better team over the match.
    Japan were all over England when they started to play in the 2nd half.

Teams that show England no respect will usually come out with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was listening to pardew on goals on sunday one morning and i thought he talked a lot of sense. im surprised he came out and said this but it is pretty much what most english managers would be feeling.

i just cant see sven taking this team any further. as for his replacement i think mcclaren and curbishley will rank highly in the fa's opinion. i think allardyce could be an excellent option, hes the type of manager that would knock the "playboy" out of some of the english players. although having said that i think hes clever enough to know that the england job is a poisioned chalice thus leaving it until he has taken bolton as far as he can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement