Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'no more ports' excuse!!!

• 25-08-2005 11:42am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am presently in a Kafkaesque nightmare of trying to get the dsl signal taken off my line so that I can go to Smart.

I was on to Eircom this morning and in attempting to explain to someone what the exact problem was they said to me 'Hold on I wll talk to some people further down the room'. When they came back they told me the problem was that 'there are no more ports in the exchange' . When I explained that what I was trying to do would actually free up a port and that the information she had been given to pass on to a customer was ludicrous - I also pointed out to her that no specific exchange had even been mentioned in our conversation so how could someone give her this information in good faith she said she did not want to know about this!!!

So next time you are told there are no more ports......................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Wow, on the face of it, that's a blatent lie form the company that loves us so much :)

"Kafkaesque" Nice word :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

so you want a service terminated from eircom, so that the line can be unbundled, and thats all, i dont see why any 'extra' ports would be needed, as your line is staying connected and in service, just a different operator using it. load of codswallup lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

when you said that to them what was their reply?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

JNive wrote:
    so you want a service terminated from eircom, so that the line can be unbundled, and thats all, i dont see why any 'extra' ports would be needed, as your line is staying connected and in service, just a different operator using it. load of codswallup lol

well while one hates to side with a telco... when his port was disconnected it could have been snapped up by someone else, if the DSL exchange is loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

JNive wrote:

it's total crap but they technically they would need more 'ports' on a ddf as they'd have to patch the connection over to the other operators kit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

elmer wrote:
    it's total crap but they technically they would need more 'ports' on a ddf as they'd have to patch the connection over to the other operators kit

I should make myself clearer. The person concerned had never asked me either for my telephone number or what exchange I was on - she went to speak to some people 'down the room' and that was what she came back with!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

of course they we're talking sh!te i was just trying to lighter spin on their lies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote:
    I should make myself clearer. The person concerned had never asked me either for my telephone number or what exchange I was on - she went to speak to some people 'down the room' and that was what she came back with!!!

Your number comes up on their screens when they answer. I still reckon it's b*****ks though.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Your number comes up on their screens when they answer. I still reckon it's b*****ks though.

Indeed it may but she had not confirmed that I was ringing from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if your line is unbundled from eircom, its physically disconnect from there equipment yes? so it can be connected up to smarts equipment?. If so, and eircom person saying 'no more ports' i can only assume means eircom have no more ports, and not smart. so considering is line doesnt need an eircom port, whats the problem, unless she is saying that all smart's ports are full, and from the sound of what was said, they are saying that Smart cannot get any customers in that exhange roflmao.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

dub45 wrote:
    Indeed it may but she had not confirmed that I was ringing from home.
    Your details pop up on the screen, "RES OF *whatever*", as long as you gave your name, thats pretty much all that's necessary to confirm what exchange you're on.

CuLT wrote:
    Your details pop up on the screen, "RES OF *whatever*", as long as you gave your name, thats pretty much all that's necessary to confirm what exchange you're on.

I had not given my name or number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

dub45 wrote:
    I had not given my name or number.

Odds are they have callerid which would bring up all your details.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah, it would have brought up details of who the number belonged to, in practice it's enough to just have the number tbh.

It's a presumption, but generally it's a fairly safe presumption if you were calling from a residential line. If you weren't then it's just bad practice on their part.

Advertisement