Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a pup from 'Buy and Sell'

• 25-08-2005 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Still on the trail for a West Highland White Terrier pup, pedigreed, for a loving home.
    I bought the 'But and Sell' paper yesterday and there were a few ads which I rang but the pups were gone. Is it ok to buy a pup without seeing both parents?
    Is this a good way to get a pup and has anyone had any experience of dealing with breeders who advertise this way? The prices varied a lot!
    Thanks
    Goffie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Personally, I don't think its good to get a dog without seeing the parents. There could be something wrong with the parents - bad breeding, or the pup may have been stolen, or it may be a puppy farm dog - which is not a good thing.

I have over the years bought 3 pups out of the buy and sell. My first two dogs Ritizi and Ginger came from Navan after I phoned up a breeder in the B&S. I met their parents, seen the owners, went to their house, viewed where the dogs slept. You can tell a lot from the person whos is selling the dog by visiting them and you can tell how good a condition the parents are in.

My two are the healthiest dogs I know (apart from them getting old and putting some weight on). And they are the most loving dogs I have ever met...

All my experience is good from buying in the B&S, but then I'm particular in that I have to see where they live, where the dogs sleep, meet the parents, ask lots of questions...

Then again there are probably a lot of dodgy people too - maybe I'm just lucky....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Are you messing
    No it certainly isn't ok to buy a pup without seeing both parents - how would you know what you're buying - could be a mixed breed for all you know.
    Mammy could be tied up and bred to death - chugging out litter after litter after litter.
    The skin conditions and all the other - and there are Soooo many other conditions Westies suffer from will be rife due to bad breeding lines and inter breeding.
    Do your home work - you can't be in that much of a hurry that you couldn't contact the Irish Kennell Club and get a list of registered breeders ?

Also be advised that IKC registered in an ad means NOTHING - I could register a litter of jack russell mixes as West Highland Terriers and get certificates for them as no-one asks to see the dogs ? You'd be none the wiser.

Please please make sure you have a proper chat with the breeder - fins out what vaccinations the dog has had and get the vaccination certificate - don't allow this kind of stuff to " follow in the post " you'll never see it and you puppy could be harbouring parvo .

Also use your head - you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you.
    Bear in mind that Westies do suffer from a lot of ailments that may plague them throughout their lives so be prepared :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yeah make sure you see both parents and ask to see papers too.
    I have bought my dogs through contacts in the B&S and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I agree with the above and would like to add one thing:

A really good breeder does one thing that distinguishes them from a mediocre or bad breeder ....plan a litter carefully!

a) plan it, so that the best possible two dogs are bred -healthwise, genetically and "result"-wise

b) plan it, so that every possible pup has a possible owner lined up way in advance i.e. waiting lists

Hence you will very rarely find a really good breeder advertising in the buy and sell ...they have no need to.

There probably still are a good few faboulous dogs to be had through B&S ...but you'd want to be very careful and selective.

Having said all that ...not every breeder with a long list of successful show-dogs and a waiting list for puppies necessarily produces healthy ones ..the standards for most breeds just are wrong and don't place enough emphasis on health.
    And not every breeder that doesn't show their dogs or isn't registered necessarily produces bad dogs ..they might not be showing / registered out of concern for the breed and trying to make things better.

So basically ...it ain't easy and there probably is some element of luck involved as well. Stick to the advise handed out by the previous posters and the "luck" element should be signifcantly reduced

And a big no-no as last advice:

NEVER, EVER buy a pup out of pity. The snot nosed, runny eyed, pot bellied, crooked, "poor little puppy" is just a waste product from a puppy farm. You won't be doing yourself, your purse or the pup any favours by "helping" it. The only one gaining out of it is the puppy farmer who just runs off with your money and makes a few more of these sorry creatures.
    The pup most likely is better off put to sleep anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I'm collecting a yorkie pup tomorrow..which i purchased through the buy and sell....

I havent seen the parents , but i paid a deposit for this dog and was told that if i'm not happy i can have my money back...

So hopefully all goes well

I assume that the first thing someone should when the buy a dog is bring it to the vet to get checked out anyway just for peace of mind....maybe i'm wrong as this is all new to me.

Has anyone got any useful information about looking after a yorkie ...

as regards what they like/dislike?

• Advertisement

Afterthought:

A good breeder will always at least show you the mother (the father might be elswhere, not necessarily a bad thing), have no problems with letting you see the whole litter and where the dogs are kept (kennesl / runs ..the whole shebang and not just some staged scene) and a good breeder will flow over with information about their dogs.
    A good breeder will answer more questions than you initially had without you even asking one and a good breeder will quiz you ... no end. A really good breeder might even refuse you a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ewww, a *mixed* breed...

(draws skirts aside in horror, trying to kick the beloved borderline collie out of sight)

I wouldn't buy from the Buy and Sell. There's lots of puppy farms out there, and you don't really know who you're buying for.

If you want a pedigree dog - and be warned, lovely though it may be, inbreeding often leads to problems that you don't get with a nice bright mongrel -

Anyway, if you insist on a pedigree dog, go to the Irish Kennel Club and find the Westies section, and ask them for the names of some good breeders. Then you can book a puppy and have papers and all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Woah, SuzY! Take it easy on me. I am doing my research.
    I did ring the IKC and they gave me the phone no. of the Sec of the Westies association, who I had a long chat with. He has a waiting list of 30 people for puppies but couldn't give me the names of any breeders.
    I had agreed to buy a pup from a breeder in the Curragh - it was the last of the litter but after advice from this man who said never to buy from someone who breeds several breeds (this guy does about six and has a website) I rang the guy and cancelled.
    So I'm not in a tearing rush to get my hands on just any pup regardless of how it was bred. I'm an animal lover and abhor animal cruelty.
    We had also thought of a Wheaten terrier but I don't think our garden is big enough.
    I'll take all your advice on board tho, as I know it's meant well.
    Thanks to everybody. I would never buy a pup without seeing where it lived by visiting the breeder's home.
    People seem to differ on whether I need to see both parents so any more opinions or suggestions are welcome.
    Whatever dog I eventually get will be loved to bits, I guarantee that.
    Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

MR DAZ, We have 2 yorkies at home (father & son, aged 9 & 11). Lovable dogs but hard work too. They are both very independant and have totally different personalities. The oldest is very moody and set in his ways. The youngest is a live wire and loves attention.

Our two are very finicky when it comes to food. The youngest one has an ulcer therefore both are on a special diet. Also, both suffer with enlarged hearts and the oldest one has liver damage. Both are on medication for the rest of their lives.

Both are very lovable creatures and we wouldnt be without them!

OP, be careful buying off the B&S. Always ask to see the parents. I offered a puppy on the B&S last year (free to good home) and demanded when people came to see them that they view both parents too. Anyways, its nice to see what the parents look like and what their temperment is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

my Aunt recently purchased a pedigree westie from a good breeder that I managed to source for her, you go and visit the pups in the family home etc. if you would like details PM me and I will pass on the ladies information..

It is very rare that you would get to see the father with the babies but you should definitely see the mother with the babies

• Advertisement

Well I got him :) and he's one cool dude! He hasnt stoped running around the house - Destroying everything in his path.

I only have him twenty fours hours and already he's claimed a pair of my football shorts - for wrestling with :o

One thing though thats worring me ...is that when he has to go do a dump so to speak ...there is drops of blood ( i have already booked an appointment with the vet for 1.45pm today)

Any ideas on wot it could be?

He's very playful a just loves all the attention he can get.....i cant even leave the room but he follows

i'll post pic's later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Possibly stress !
    It happened my 2nd dog and I was mega freaked out but the vet said it was prolly just change of diet and environment etc - especially your little guy has just left his mum at 9 weeks.
    Good luck with him

Hmmm ...stress would normally just cause diarrhea ...blood is a bit worrying...

What did the vet say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Goffie wrote:
    Still on the trail for a West Highland White Terrier pup, pedigreed, for a loving home.
    I bought the 'But and Sell' paper yesterday and there were a few ads which I rang but the pups were gone. Is it ok to buy a pup without seeing both parents?
    Is this a good way to get a pup and has anyone had any experience of dealing with breeders who advertise this way? The prices varied a lot!
    Thanks
    Goffie

never ever buy a dog without seeing the parents,I did and I had to take the breeder to court the dog I got was from a puppy farm and was near death,I got the buy and sell to warn people about buying animals and as far as I know it still is in every issue.It cost me a fortune in court costs I lost my case as the animal officer told me not to mention everything he sat with the breeder all through the case telling them he was on their side,it was in Limerick and I lived in Dublin the breeder was the wife of a GARDA if this had anything to do with it ,but I BET IT HAD.

The vet said that he a slight case of gastritous (not sure of the correct spelling) but that he should be ok in a day or two... apart from that he said was in very good condition - which was a relief because of all the negative experiances people have had in buy and sell

He gave him a shot and also gave me some medicine for "Willis" :)

The vet said it would clear up in 24hrs and it did - everything seems to be ok now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ahhhhh .. he's teeny :) Lovely looking playful little fella. I'm glad the trip to the Vet cleared up concerns. Happy days!

Hi Valerie
    Looked for your warning in B&S but all I could find was :
    'B&S are guided in our animal policies by the DSPCA and the National Parks and Wildlife Service and support CITES'
    Then there's a bit about how trade in all native Irish species of planr and animals being subject to the Wildlife acts etc and that the sale must be legal under these acts.
    Then:
    'We recommend that any puppy or kitten advertised as registered or pedigree should be confirmed at the relevant register'.It's at the start of the Dogs section, blue coloured ad.
    That's it as far as I can see - no reference to puppy farms or breeding conditions or advice on not buying by the roadside.
    Is it enough? Is it what you originally gave them?
    I've made a lot of calls and had some very evasive replies to basic questions, and haven't been asked once what sort of set up i have at home for the dog.
    Needless to say I'm still looking!
    Cheers
    Goffie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

sorry havent read the buy and sell for a while but got one today,yes it gives no warning to people not to buy animals without seeing the parents but there was a time it did I will ring them and ask them why they changed it.This must be a recent change they made.Puppy farms should be stamped out.

Awwww! What a cutiepie!

Here's the club in Norn Irn, by the way:

http://www.northofirelandwesthighlandwhiteterrierclub.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Just to let you all know it can be done!

I kept looking at the B&S and phoning and asking all the right questions. On Friday I came across a number for my home town (where my parents still live).
    I struck lucky! The breeder knew my parents, is best friends with my aunt!
    It hadn't occured to me to ask around at home. So down we went on Saturday - lovely, caring woman with great set-up. Parents lovely dogs. everything above board. She's a big Westie enthusiast and the highlight of her year is going to Crufts. Her daughter has even written a book just published of suggested dogs' names called 'Dont call me Boy!'
    The result is Jack, new love of our lives and everything we wanted. House now revolves around him and he's such a friendly, happy, healthy little guy.
    Better stop before I get mushy :D
    So it can be done thru B&S - I know I struck very lucky and if anyone wants this lady's contact details just pm me. There are genuine, caring breeders out there.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me such good advice!

Brilliant! Pictures, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

If your looking for a ure breed ask to see certs and also to see both parents.

Also if your paying money for a pup/dog you have the right to know that your money is being spend wisely.

But weve had pups placed in the buy and sell.They werent pure breeds and also we didnt know who the father is as we live in the country side and I think had people started demanding to see the fatehr that would have been unfair to us.

Meet the people who your getting the dog from and if they are nice people you feel you can trust then you should be told the truth bout the dog.If you still have worries after meeting the owners then ask to see the parents of the pup if it is possible

Hi Luckat
    I'd love to post pictures of him - managed to take some at 7am this morning as was chasing me round the garden!

Unfortunately I haven't a clue how to - any instructions welcome in VERY simple terms as I'm technologically illiterate.

There wasn't a peep of out him last night either - thank god :D
    At least i'll stay awake at work today!
    Goffie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Had two good Buy and Sell experiences - one was €50 to a 15 year old whos dog had had pups - parents in evidence nice dogs - nice puppy - grew up to be a great dog.

Second pup was nice people looking for a good home for a few pups......

Def. consider Buy and Sell - use yer common sense after that.

If your pics are from a digital camera, load them on to your computer (the software will talk you through this). Save them to your desktop when the Save To dialogue box comes up, so you can find them easily.

Now open your browser, find this thread and hit Reply To. You'll see, below the box you type, into some buttons, one of which says Manage Attachments.

Click on this and it'll show you what's on your own computer. Browse your way to the desktop and choose a picture of your pup. Say OK, and it'll be loaded in as a jpg file, which people can click on and see here.

Don't worry, this doesn't give anyone any other access to your computer - all you're doing is putting a copy of your doggy picture on to this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pooh74

glad to see you got a westie eventually looking for one ourselves, going to see one next sat woman hasn't given address yet but 045 number hope its not the dreaded curragh woman any tips welcome

Advertisement