Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Need actor for short film.

• 25-08-2005 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I need an actor to fill a spot for a short film. Film duration will be 4 minutes long and the shoot should take no less than an hour. Shooting location will be Waterford and I hope to have to shoot complete by next week. Film is on an indie basis so there will be no pay, only experience!

Actor should be male, between the age of 20 - 30 and have some acting experience. On stage is fine but some on-screen experience would be great. Script available upon request. Genre is comedy.

Please contact me at john@fckvwls.com or message me on here if you are interested. Only serious people need apply.

Regards,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Place still going folks, anyone interested?

All the slots are filled. Shooting thursday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

dlofnep wrote:
    All the slots are filled. Shooting thursday :)

so ya got your actors then, what ya shooting anyway?

Sparky_S wrote:
    so ya got your actors then, what ya shooting anyway?

Aye, I'm shooting a short film. I'll give ya a look at it when it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

dlofnep wrote:
    Aye, I'm shooting a short film. I'll give ya a look at it when it's finished.

good stuff, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

me too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've read the script.

It's about Bosco.

It sure is. Should come out alot better on screen :) Now to sort out the location, gotta get permission from the local esso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

dlofnep wrote:
    It sure is. Should come out alot better on screen :) Now to sort out the location, gotta get permission from the local esso.

haha im dying to see this now!! Sounds amazing, seriously!

please let me know when its done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Couple of quick points:

If you're featuring Bosco (or a Boso impersonator!!!) in the film you will need permission from Lambert puppet theatre - otherwise you will have trouble getting the film screened.

Also - even though you're not paying the actors you should always try and cover their expenses if at all possible. And always, always, give them a copy of the finished piece. You'd be surprised at how many people don't furnish their cast and crew with copies of the film when it's finally completed.

• Advertisement

If you're featuring Bosco (or a Boso impersonator!!!) in the film you will need permission from Lambert puppet theatre - otherwise you will have trouble getting the film screened.
    Bosco is merely a topic of conversation and isn't actually featured, so I think they'll be okay.

But they could be done for defamation of character though...

Couple of quick points:

Also - even though you're not paying the actors you should always try and cover their expenses if at all possible. And always, always, give them a copy of the finished piece. You'd be surprised at how many people don't furnish their cast and crew with copies of the film when it's finally completed.

I'm fully aware of this. :)

Also Monkeyfudge, I don't think I'll need to worry too much about it. It's just a conversation about a puppet and random speculation.

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm fully aware of this. :)

Also Monkeyfudge, I don't think I'll need to worry too much about it. It's just a conversation about a puppet and random speculation.
    I don't know about that... I've heard Bosco is a very litigious individual... hehe

I don't know about that... I've heard Bosco is a very litigious individual... hehe

He's also one of the major pushers of product this side of the atlantic.. But I didn't tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Just read the script - me likey.
    But then again I always had a soft spot for anything bosco related :D
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Good luck with it.

Shoot is being delayed, couldn't sort a location. Hopefully will shoot mid next week. This is such a set back but at least I can put some more prep into it.

Hey - don't be disheartened. Like you said - more prep work can be done now. You can NEVER prep enough.

Working on a film at the moment - it was delayed by 4 months and I can't even believe I was considering doing it 4 months ago - there were so many things we didn't have done.

Yes, I was actually going to shoot without a boom.. But I've sorted that now. Anyways, I'll need to sort out the location. I'm amazed at the amount of shops that won't let you shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

My friends and I had a similar problem with a pub we were shooting in last year...How are you approaching the shop owners? Are you outright asking them can you shoot there in the next few hours or how are you doing it?

Just introducing myself, explaining that I'm shooting a short film and require shop premises for an hour for the shoot. Nothing unprofessional or rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

but when do you do this?

Do you do it the same day as your planning to shoot?

I found the best policy is to head down to them at least a week in advance, explain nicely ask what time suits them best, let them establish ground rules etc. (for the pub, we were asked to shoot only in one part of the pub and to do the filming at 11am in the morning when it is quiet.)

Its also best to ask to see the manager about it, or if its a chain (like statoil.) email the home office and bring in the printed reply. (We did that for some shooting we were doing in a hotel, worked wonders, we were allowed to use an empty room and all without paying a cent.)

I asked about 2 weeks beforehand. I'm going to try a few more stores.

Make sure you talk to the manager. Or however will be making the decision - talking to anyone down the chain of command probably won't work because they can't give you the go ahead and often won't want to bother the manager with requests.

Also - you should offer to shoot outside of business hours or at a really quiet time. This way they're not losing out on business.

Offer them a credit - if you really need that specific location offer them cash (if you can spare it).

Really play up the 'helping the struggling filmmaker' angle.

You have to remember that they're not really getting anything out of it so you have to be at your most persuasive. It helps if your producer is pretty and female when approaching a lot of places!

Might I suggest posting a new thread looking for a shop location in Waterford both here and in the Waterford city forum*.

There is a good chance that someone on boards.ie has tenure with a local merchant of some sort and can help you out.

* I can't believe Waterford City has it's own forum... I'll have to look at campaigning for a Coolock forum... it will be a place to meet hot goth sluts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

it will be a place to meet hot goth sluts.
    Lol. Memories...

So where's the script for this film? Some people said they had read it. Did I miss the link?

Advertisement