Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M4/n4

Options
  • 25-08-2005 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone know what the status is with the N4/M4 work? Is some of it going to be opened up soon, what with the new roundabout at Enfield etc, etc. Tried looked at the NRA website, but no real news, apart from completion next year.

Thanks
    HRD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

They have sub-site on Kildare.ie (http://www.kildare.ie/M4KEKMotorway/index.htm) but it doesn't seem to contain any progress information :mad:

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Official completion date is still Aug/Sep '06, unofficially it's on course to be open this side of christmas, best case scenario the end of October, that's the M4 Kinnegad Enfield Kilcock scheme and the short N4 McNeads Bridge realignment section as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Will the new scheme tie in with the section of D2 around Mullingar?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

map

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm looking forward to trying out the new road. Nice new stretch of motorway for the car to stretch its legs on :) But TBH I will probably try the road a few times and will then go back to using the existing N4 to avoid the toll.

Who here has driven on the new McNeads bridge stretch of the N4 near Mullingar. Dual carriageway with a concrete barrier in the median. I have noticed something strange with it though - when heading east there is point where there is a dip and curve and there seems to be very poor visibility/sightlines of the road ahead if you're in the outside lane. Anyone else notice this or is it my imagination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

BrianD3 wrote:
    Who here has driven on the new McNeads bridge stretch of the N4 near Mullingar. Dual carriageway with a concrete barrier in the median. I have noticed something strange with it though - when heading east there is point where there is a dip and curve and there seems to be very poor visibility/sightlines of the road ahead if you're in the outside lane. Anyone else notice this or is it my imagination?

I noticed heading eastwards that the superelevation slopes towards the outside of the curve when one is crossing the new bridge over the canal, and thought it slightly strange. The engineering standards obviously encourage the slope to be the other direction so as to keep the car as near as possible to the point where it steers itself. Perhaps it's something to do with the drainage and the concrete barrier, i.e. there obviously can't be a stardard french drain arrangement in the middle with the barrier there. Can't say I've noticed the sight distances being awry, though the two could be related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

BrianD3 wrote:

I use it Monday to Thursday going to work, I havent noticed, I'm just glad to be on a dual carriageway. I'll take more notice the next time.

I can't wait for the whole road to open to Dublin, the toll whatever it is will be worth it, should knock a good bit of time of the trip from Mullingar to ParkWest, 1hr 10mins at the moment, slightly longer on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    Will the new scheme tie in with the section of D2 around Mullingar?
    ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

D2 is standard 2 lane dual carriageway, the M50 is classified as D2M (M for motorway), the N7 at Citywest would be D3 etc. S1 is a country lane, S2 is a regular 2 way road, WS2 is the Wide single lane roads with wide hard shoulders now being built as bypasses eg Nenagh.

Advertisement