Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time of the Hybrids

Options
  • 25-08-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Has the time come to switch to Hybrid cars.

The Toyota Prius is...Ugly.

But reading updates on the honda site i love the look of their concept for the Civic Hybrid. I couldnt attach a picture but it looked something like the saloon we now with Astra couple roof and new new civic lights. Looked the bee knees and spec's greater than that of the Prius

But have Hybrid got a place within the motoring world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

with the current price of oil....id say yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What hybrids are available on the Market then

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Toyota Prius, Lexus R400H, Honda Civic (not sold in Ireland) and I think there is a hybrid Volvo S60.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What about bio-diesel and rapeseed oil?
    Are they viable options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Never heard of rapseed oil before.

Biodeisel thats not a bad idea as well. The lexus looks nice probably with lexus being lexus, it ll have a nice price as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well the ugly Prius costs the bones of €30k so expect to pay €70- €80k for the Lexus. Doesn't entice you to go out and buy one. But the government used to refund a portion of the purchase price of hybrid cars before in the form of a grant but I'm not sure if they still do that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kluivert wrote:

Isn't it a diesel alternative?
    I seem to remember seeing something about geting a IR£200 conversion to a standard diesel engine and you could run it on rapeseed oil. But because of high import levys and funny government taxes it was IR£1.50 per litre at the time.
    I cudda dreamt all that though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

kluivert wrote:

Biodeisel thats not a bad idea as well.

Isn't that what biodiesel is made from ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

FYI The reason the Civic Hybrid is not here is simple, the Government tax the car as if it as two engines! €32k for a 1 litre Civic anyone? Bloody VRT :mad:

Advertisement