Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on rail charges

• 25-08-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Back in May I had to travel from Dublin to Galway to collect my bicycle as I left it at a mate's house when I moved to Dublin.

The train was the only way I could get it to Dublin as I don't own a car.

I was assured by staff in Dublin and Galway there would be no problem and I could leave my bike in the guards carraige. Staff were very helpful.

Howver when I was bringing my bike down the platform in Galway, the conductor said I needed to buy a ticket for the bicycle and that would cost €8. Considering I paid €42 for a return ticket, I thought this was harsh.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is this a standard charge?

To make it worse, there were two hen parties travelling back on the same train and a good few were smoking. I'm wasn't that pushed but the old couple beside me certainly were. I never saw a conductor so nothing was done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Yes, there is a small charge for the carriage of bikes on IE services. Its all covered in the conditions of carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mucco

enterprise wrote:
    Yes, there is a small charge for the carriage of bikes on IE services. Its all covered in the conditions of carriage.

I wouldn't call €16 return a small charge, it's nearly 40% of the standard return. In the UK, bikes are carried free on the privatised trains.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks. I never knew it was listed in their terms. It was a bit of a shock finding out as staff in Dublin and Galway never said anything about a charge when I asked could I bring the bike on the train.

I'm told that they wouldn't usually charge on quiet communter journeys but always on busy inter-city routes.

Since the carraige was empty apart from my bike, it wasn't have been a big deal to store it there. I certainly paid enough for the ticket, charging extra just seems petty.

Advertisement