Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone receiver only

Options
  • 25-08-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Don't know where to post this, so;

Basically i need a telephone, except one you can't dial out from. I.E one you can receive calls with and answer with but not make calls with.

Do these exist, or do they have a special name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Easy option if you can't find one is get a standard touch tone phone cheap from some electonics place, open it up and disconnect the keypad.Yeah they do exist, in fact they're really easy to build!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

think u have to sort that out with the telephone company? and they supply you with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Another option (I think they still sell them) is a cover that goes over the keypad, covering all the digits except 9 (so you can make emergency calls).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could buy a cheap phone and superglue the buttons.

But if other people will be using it then they can use a DTMF thingy to make the tones to dial without having to push any buttons. Or plug something else in to the phone line.

you may be able to get calls barred by eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

mp3guy wrote:
    Don't know where to post this, so;

Basically i need a telephone, except one you can't dial out from. I.E one you can receive calls with and answer with but not make calls with.

Do these exist, or do they have a special name?

Hey mp3guy

If your phone line is with eircom, they can setup your account for inbound calls only.
    The only outbound calls will be for emergency numbers.
    Could be worth a try.

Chef

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    Another option (I think they still sell them) is a cover that goes over the keypad, covering all the digits except 9 (so you can make emergency calls).
    I delibertly asked eircom for a phone number with a '0' as some people block the 0 to stop people making long distance calls. in the old days you could get a little brass lock to put on your phone to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well, the reason i want one, is i can never hear the phone in my room, and my parents wouldn't allow me a phone in my room if i could make outgoing calls, but his way, i can answer the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well then the receiver with the disconnected keypad is probably the best idea. You've no need for making emergency calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

mp3guy wrote:
    Well, the reason i want one, is i can never hear the phone in my room, and my parents wouldn't allow me a phone in my room if i could make outgoing calls, but his way, i can answer the phone.

Well that blows my previous idea out of the water.

Advertisement