Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with no insurance...(update from my older thread)

Options
  • 25-08-2005 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I posted in this forum about a month back asking for advice as I had been summonsed for driving my friends car without being insured.

I thought I would post again to let those of you who posted replies know how I got on.

Well, I had my court case just a few days ago and it has now been rescheduled. Afterall my panicking and worrying...

When my case was called up, a different Garda came up and said that my Garda was off sick and could we reschedule. So that was it, I now have to wait a few months before being called again.

If he doesn't show again, I've been told the case will probably be dismissed.

So thanks again all, really appreciated all your comments and advice.

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I hope he doesn't turn up the next time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah the Irish legal system - efficiency my arse!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I hope he doesn't turn up the next time. :)
    Indeed, as you will then have grounds to have the case dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Well hi everyone, just a final update on my 'driving with no insurance summons'
    I finally had the rescheduled court case there recently. And after all my sweating and nervousness, fearing the worst but hoping for the best....
    the garda did not show, and the case was dismissed by the Judge. (It was actually the same judge from before, I remembered him..)

Thank you to all the people who had been posting replies and helping me out with advice and comments and stories last summer before my original court appearance.

Its a lesson well learnt.

thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

rsta wrote:
    Well hi everyone, just a final update on my 'driving with no insurance summons'
    I finally had the rescheduled court case there recently. And after all my sweating and nervousness, fearing the worst but hoping for the best....
    the garda did not show, and the case was dismissed by the Judge. (It was actually the same judge from before, I remembered him..)

Thank you to all the people who had been posting replies and helping me out with advice and comments and stories last summer before my original court appearance.

Its a lesson well learnt.

thanks again :)

I didn't see your original post but, I allowed a friend of mine to drive my car with no insurance about 7 years ago.

He was never brought to court, I was...600 fine and an endorsement, nasty!

like you, lesson learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sometimes I think a lucky escape (particularly where the waiting has been prolonged) is far more effective than a quick harsh punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

seamus wrote:
    Sometimes I think a lucky escape (particularly where the waiting has been prolonged) is far more effective than a quick harsh punishment.

It's true, I bet the OP will never drive without insurance again, whereas if he was banned off the road he'd probably be under the 'nothing to lose' influence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Hi all, well i certainly wont be taking a chance anymore, its not worth it at all.

And Seamus and John you're right, the waiting and the possibility of a harsh fine or sentence is enough of a punishment for me.

I found my old post in case anyone wants to read through it.

Hope the link works
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=282468

thanks again everyone
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well aslong as your learned your lesson, that the main thing.
    You seem like the type of person that was ready to suffer the worst. But alls well ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sparky-s wrote:
    well aslong as your learned your lesson, that the main thing.
    You seem like the type of person that was ready to suffer the worst. But alls well ends well.

Yeah I think he was willing to take his punishment, he was looking for advise in his previous thread, as opposed to loopholes ... Fairplay OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never knew that if the Garda that made the orginal arrest is not to show up twice, the case is automatically dismissed. Is that for any traffic offense and / or where are the boudaries, i.e. drink-driving, driving while banned, dangerous driving, etc.?
    seamus wrote:

Depends on the defendant I suppose but in this case I agree it's probably the best outcome for all

@OP, thanks for sharing - happy legal motoring now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

unkel wrote:
    Never knew that if the Garda that made the orginal arrest is not to show up twice, the case is automatically dismissed. Is that for any traffic offense and / or where are the boudaries, i.e. drink-driving, driving while banned, dangerous driving, etc.?

No that's not normal. The reason for a dissmissal would be undue delay in proceeding with a prosecution. You have a consitutional right to due process and a speedy trial. It can happen to any type of case. I know of a serious assault case that was dismmised for undue delay. The Gardai kept holding up the case and the judge just had enough one day and dismissed the case with prejudice.

Advertisement