Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want from your DS?

• 25-08-2005 5:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had this discussion with a lot of people in relation to the DS.
    The biggest criticism of the machine is that the touch screen is nothing more than a gimmick and something that developers will now feel obliged to use even for the most pointless of reasons.
    Personally I think that the DS has a lot to offer with the touch screen, but I also think it's not the be all and end all of the unit. I'm looking forward to the next year or two when developers settle down with the hardware and stop trying to think of the best way to wrap their game around the screen, and use it's other functions. The Mic and dual screen idea is something that is used, but not as much as the touch screen. I can't wait until developers are comfortable enough to make a game that is just a good game, and not one that forces touch screen use just because they feel they should. The problem is critics will then say the game doesn't utilise the hardware, but not every game will be able to. For example, I don't use the touch screen when playing Mario, I use the buttons. I like the map being there, but that's about it. On the other hand, Kirby is such a brilliant and original game and all because it does something new because of the screen.
    The new mario and luigi superstar doesn't use the touchscreen at all (or much ) from what I gather, but instead uses the extra two buttons to introduce two new characters, it also uses the two screens so you can have two battles going on at once. That's the kind of stuff that's needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I want to see some *really* original games, and not just apparent remakes. I also want to see better graphics... Resident Evil looks horrible! I want to see some of the weirder Japanese stuff get an EU release too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The two surgery games look great. The only games that will really make good use of the touch screen will be insane japanese ones that will probably not get released over here. Saying that Nintendogs looks fantastic and uses all the DS's functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I want to see a loada releases from Nintendo. The current ds range is very limited. I dont have a major problem with a few N64 ports but I get annoyed when GBA games have bits tacked on and are released for the DS. Maybe a GBA+ classification should be used.

I think the wifi functionality is brill and once developers calm down and stop kneejerk touch-screening everything, as flogen rightly said, we should have some very solid games.

With a little bit of shame I have to admit that I'll be picking up a copy of Nintendogs. Also cant wait to get my hands on Metroid Hunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I want to see more games that are mainly touchscreen (and not just using touchscreen because they feel they have to, like Bomberman DS or Nanostray).

Games like Wario Touched, Feel The Magic, Another Code, Kirby and Meteos are fantastic games designed around the touchscreen (and not just using the touchscreen as a gimmick).

At Christmas, I'll splash out for a PassMe or WiFiMe (the kinks should have been worked out by then), and I'll start playing about with homebrew stuff. The thought of playing LucasArts games on the DS really appeals to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

TmB wrote:

Games like Wario Touched, Feel The Magic,

theyre exactly what I dont want. I want a proper adventure or somethin. not just some mini game thing. at 45euro a go it's not worth it .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A new Ron Gilbert adventure game. I'd love to know what, if anything, Treasure have planned for the DS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I would really love if they made it a lot easier to write your own games/applications for it. That'd be cool. I just have to wait for the hackers to reverse engineer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

New, proper games. No more poxy remakes, and no more games that use the touchscreen just to prove that they can. Feel the Magic and Yoshi's Touch and Go, I'm looking at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

Personally I would like to see more developers utilizing the thumbstrap and the touchscreen for enhanced control similar to the way Mario 64 uses it to replace the N64 analog stick and Metroid Prime uses it to replace the mouse on a PC platform. This way, the touchscreen becomes simply an extension to the control of the character, but does not become the entire focus of the game (and is not used as merely a gimmick either). This opens up massive possibility for excellent 3D platformers / adventure games and 3D FPS / RPG games, which would be well suited to the design of the DS. Couple this with the wifi capability and you have very good potential for some excellent multiplayer games.

The main problem then would be the processing and resource capability of the DS unit itself to implement large and detailed environments. In fairness though, from what I've seen so far the DS is a pretty capable machine - developers just need to be smart as to how they utilize its power and functionality.

As mentioned previously, I would also love to see proper support for enabling people to create their own games on the DS system, including wifi functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Syth wrote:
    I would really love if they made it a lot easier to write your own games/applications for it. That'd be cool. I just have to wait for the hackers to reverse engineer it.
    Isn't it possible to play make games that can be played with play chan or whatever it's called? Or do you mean actual games and apps that aren't restricted like those ones. I'm pretty sure we'll have proper development opportunities with the DS in the near future......

I'm actually pretty happy with the DS so far, the current mis use of the touch screen is probably a result of it still being a gimmick to the developers, they haven't had the chance to play with this sort of thing on a handheld before so they're probably still figuring out what will and will not work well. But it should have been obvious to namco that turning a steering wheel with the stylus was a crap idea.
    I'd like to see more of the games that use the features of the console well, like yoshi touch and go, wario ware, meteos and electroplankton. I'd really like to see some strategy games, bring on starcraft and c&c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well nintendo's class games and free online games thats why it easly beats the psp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I would love to see a totally touch screen "Broken Sword" game, not just a remake. Broken Sword was a point and click game on the PC, and the touch screen on the DS would work wonders with that kind of game.

Advertisement