Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like cycling a 1000cc motorbike

Options
  • 25-08-2005 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm getting absolutely ticked off with my cycle. I'm not an old dude by any means and consider myself pretty fit, but I've got this mountain bike which seems as stubborn as a donkey overlooking a sheer drop. I'm cycling like the clappers, and everyone is taking me out...kids, old ladies, old ladies with kids, tricycles, skateboards and pushchairs..and that's with the wind at my back going downhill. The darn thing refuses to play ball. So anyway...I took drastic action and removed the rear brakes as they seemed a bit homesick for the the wheel (OK...I guess it's not too wise but necessary) No change. I bought it new about 2 years ago and the make etc is Universal Extreme Blow Out with Shimano Index System and is marked with a "Hand built" insignia. It's most definitely blowing me out. It weighs an absolute ton. Does anyone know anything about these bikes...? I'm thinking of trading it in for a 5 speed electric wheelchair...What are your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

My views are as follows:
    I think the poor should be shot, Pat Rabbit for teashop and all primary school kids should be taught to milk goats. Slow riders and taxi drivers should not be allowed in cycle lanes and close personal relationships between father and son should not be questioned.
    On the matter of your bike, the frame sucks, or in this case blows. Whack on a different frame and you should be flying. However the components aren't worth the money for a new frame so just shift it, dump it, or "donate" it to the streets.
    On a new steed you should be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - cheap bikes, particularly the cheap argos variety, tend to have lots of gears, big suspension, look shiny, and weigh and absolute fecking tonne. I have borrowed a couple on occasion and the only way I can describe it is that it's like rigging up a sofa with gears and trying to cycle it. Very comfortable, but a complete bitch to move anywhere - never mind getting any speed out of it. With a light frame, no suspension and a well-oiled chain and gear system (you'll have to buy a new bike you know) you'll be able to half your effort easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Golden rule of MTB purchasing;

Light, Strong, Cheap - pick any two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Macbeth

Thanks guys...I'm going to give it to a good mate of mine who had his eye on it, has ridden it and seems to think it's great...Wait till he treks around the city....any recommendations for a bike...say around the £400 mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Here is a tip,

Pay a little more and you will see a better return for your money.

Shops sell junk within certain price brackets and while you think you are spending good money, you a buying junk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement