Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint Job!

Options
  • 25-08-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

im looking to cover up aa patch on my car door. i have the paint but im wondering how to put it on as i dont want brush marks to be seen but its too dear to get it sprayed on. its about the size of your fist. please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

lol dont do it yourself ! if you like your car at all that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

its 70e to get it sprayd, thats too dear for the small size it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There's an art to respraying even if just a touch up job. What soprt of patch is it? If its corrosion then that has to be sorted out first otherwise you've fixed nothing. Is the patch in the middle of a panel or at the edge? Is it high up or low down? If you have say a black car and the area is at the bottom corner of a wing then a DIY respray could be got away with if its well done.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

if ya want to do this you'll have to follow this

1 sand the area with 240 grit sand paper.
    2 scotch guard the rest of the panel,
    3 primer the area wait for the primer to dry
    4 sand the area of dryed primer with 600 grit paper with water.
    5 make sure the panel is bone dry
    6 rub thinners or white spirits on the panel to remove dirt]
    7 put water on the floor so when spraying no dirt gets in the paint
    8 spray the car with the paint
    9 laquer

and there you have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You make it sound easy! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I did some DIY paintwork using a similar procedure to what Volvoboy has described. It didn't turn out well as I got a bad paint match. The new paint is noticeably different to the old stuff. I got Halfords spray cans which were in theory an exact match for my car. but I think the old paint had faded from the original colour. Also I think that the final sanding on metallics makes a big difference to how the paint looks. Depending on how the paint is sanded it will reflect light differently to the old paint and will look different. You probably need to be a professional or experienced amateur to get this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

BrianD3 wrote:
    ............... It didn't turn out well as I got a bad paint match. The new paint is noticeably different to the old stuff. I got Halfords spray cans which were in theory an exact match for my car. but I think the old paint had faded from the original colour. .....................

it also depends on the color of the paint, in some cases you have to use colored primer or sometimes there is just not enough coats sprayed over the panel,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The idea of rubbing thinners on the paint work of a car is pure stupidity.Thinners as the name suggest thin paint therfore removing it.You might rub the affected areas to remove previous coats of unwanted paint but you would never rub the whole panel down with thinners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If the car is in good condition other than that, and you're trying to restore it so it looks perfect, you'll really need to get it professionally done, and €70 sounds reasonable enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The idea of rubbing thinners on the paint work of a car is pure stupidity.Thinners as the name suggest thin paint therfore removing it.You might rub the affected areas to remove previous coats of unwanted paint but you would never rub the whole panel down with thinners
    Yep, I thought this was a bit strange myself. If you try to clean a primered panel using thinners surely it will damage or loosen the primer that you've put on.

I spilt some POR-15 (anti rust paint) on a window sill recently. Gave the window sill a quick rub with a rag soaked in cellulose/lacquer thinners to clean if off. It took off the POR-15 but it also took a lot of the paint off the sill.

• Advertisement

its too dear to get it sprayed. i ave it in a jar, so is painting it my only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

At the very least get the paint code off the chassis plate and buy an aerosol of touch-up from an auto paint supplier - there is a huge place at the end of the Long Mile Road or look in the yellow pages for Vinny Byrne (used to be on Sinnott Place D3) These cans cost €12-€15 and you can even bring your petrol cap flap in and they will match to it. Do NOT apply anything with a brush unless you want your car to look like the hall door of your ma's house.

As for rubbing with thinners, its perfectly safe on any factory finish or post-hardened 2k touch-up/repair. It is not safe on panels which may have been painted with cellulose paint but this is VERY unlikely. Whenever I spray cars I pour between 1 and 5 litres of thinners onto them to degrease and prep them with no problems. Follow volvodudes advice - (the water on the floor trick may not be necessary) and make sure all areas you don't want paint are well masked.....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Misticles wrote:
    its too dear to get it sprayed. i ave it in a jar, so is painting it my only option?

Leave it alone? Chances are the damage will look better than the paintwork after it gets mauled with a paintbrush. Seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

Make sure you get the right paint. I made a bit of a Fook Up on my motor & relized not all silvers are the same lol ;)

well turns out, my paint was thrown out cos it was in a mustard jar so ill get the fella to put it in a spray can next time. my car is classed as grey yet orange goes into it to make the colour. i couldnt believe how many colours went in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Advertisement