Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a major flaw in the Nintendo DS :(

Options
  • 25-08-2005 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice little machine but... ITS A PAIN TO USE IF YOUR LEFT HANDED.

Your expected to use the controller and pen while left handed. :/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are obviously playing Mario 64 DS. There are two other control methods but by far the best is to forgo the use of the stylus and use the d-pad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hobbes wrote:
    Nice little machine but... ITS A PAIN TO USE IF YOUR LEFT HANDED.

Your expected to use the controller and pen while left handed. :/

yeah, the Metroid demo shows how to overcome this as the x,y,a,b buttons operate the same way as the d-pad, which is a nice idea. I'm sure games will include something like this in the future, perhaps give you the chance to switch so the up, down, right, left buttons swap with the others for functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

WarioWare Touched asks you which hand you use, and adjusts all the important stuff in the minigames to be on the appropriate side. And you can mirror Yoshi's Touch & Go if you're a leftie, too.

Which games, exactly, are you having trouble with? Perhaps there should be some Daily Mail (but useful) style name and shame sticky in the Nintendo forum of games that are unplayable for lefties. I'm not sure if you can switch the side of the screen the binoculars are displayed on in Zoo Keeper, for example (it does make a difference, btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Left-handed? No such thing. You're ambidextrous - you just don't know it. Free the right hand! Free the right hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Heh, it's funny, in Nintendo's attempt to bring in more gamers they pretty much automatically reject 1 out of 5 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

its closer to 1 in 10 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

nearly all the games have options for controls!!!! there's no fault with it. there is a fault with you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

astrofool wrote:
    its closer to 1 in 10 afaik
    i like them odd's leftie's of the world unite.

i've never had any problems playing ds games and i'm left handed, but then again i've only got one game (mario64) and a demo (Metroid Prime) so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Heh, it's funny, in Nintendo's attempt to bring in more gamers they pretty much automatically reject 1 out of 5 people.
    That's pretty harsh! The DS is the first console to allowyou to 'switch' the d-pad and face buttons from left-to-right(which most games support) so they were actually trying to appeal to this forgotten market segment... I hear lefties hate using the PSP with it's single nubbin yoke.

Anyway, ye lefties shouldn't be moaning too much, it wasn't that long ago when ye would've been burned at the stake for being Devil's children ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm a right-y, yet i use my left hand for complicated movement, while my "dominant" right is used only to hit some buttons.
    So the lesson is: we are all equal :D (well, on consoles, anyway...)

As for the DS, I'm guessing it'll be companies like EA who port a lot that'll forget about the switching controls thing.

Yes, I hate EA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well im left handed and ive had no problems with it really in metroid prime hunters and other games like were you need to use the stylus like that it usually gives you the choice to go to settings and swap it around

problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

theres another flaw too with the ds. it`s ****e!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's harsh! I smell a PSP fan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

There's another flaw, too, with the DS. It's ****e!!!!

Very mature and helpful comment there.

Edit: Yes Aristotle, quite correct... what a foolish mistake I made. Error corrected.

Malafus wrote:
    Its ****e!!!!

Actually that should be It's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

theres another flaw too with pete doherty. he`s ****e!!!!

Stinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm guessing he didn't read this: Fanboys - A Warning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Splinter Cell. Looks nice but it a serious pain in the hand for me to use.

The only other recent game I got for the DS is "Another code: Two memories" which should allow you to slap the protaganist. Slow going game.

I got Yoshis Grav... forget the name but is good fun. You have to move the DS around to move the stuff in game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

unless you want a game that will last you 20 seconds before bordom, don't get Yoshi Touch and Go!, it's a bloody tech demo.

Anyway, back onto the topic, I still have to try Splinter Cell, but I'd say most games will support the control switch option, but like all new tools on offer it may take a wave or two of games before they're used properly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think he's talking about Yoshi's Universal Gravitation... the GBA game with a tilt sensor that isn't called WarioWare Twisted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement