Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom league

• 25-08-2005 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

who is going to win

who is going to win the eircom league 32 votes

Cork
    0% 0 votes
    Derry
    68% 22 votes
    Shels
    9% 3 votes
    Longford
    6% 2 votes
    Bohs
    0% 0 votes
    Drogs
    9% 3 votes
    UCD
    0% 0 votes
    Bray
    0% 0 votes
    St Pats
    0% 0 votes
    Waterford
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'll go with Finn Harps :rolleyes:

Is it even mathematically possible for Waterford to win the league?

Cork and Derry are kinda looking good aren't they?

I have no doubt that Cork will win the league. From games I've seen they are the best team and i can only see Derry wilting away despite theri fantastic victory over Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Best of luck to Derry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good poll :confused:

Gwan the Saints!!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Bit too early to tell but I think that given a bit of luck, and barring an injury crisis Waterford could do it. Darryl Murphy is a great player and ....

FFS man, what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Waterford ??
    who is the joker ?

• Advertisement

Guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What an idiotic poll.

Up til last week I said Cork will win it at a canter, I've seen Derry a bit this season and they aren't on the same planet as Cork, football wise. But that doesn't mean they can't or won't win the league. Having watched Cork close out their European game tonight though, again I really think that they are streets ahead of the rest of the league, and will have it wrapped up by the final day when they host Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

What a stupid post to be honest , you should of said who is going to win the eircom league between cork and derry , i would love to see derry win but my head says CAIRK BHOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Cork to win it, it's their year, they're calling the football, soccer and hurling the rebel treble :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is it even mathematically possible for Waterford to win the league?

Oi! Leave the Waterford lads alone!

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    Waterford ??
    who is the joker ?

The big joke HAHAHA is gonna be the play off - Waterford Utd V Kilkenny Village. You heard it here first folks!

Slash/ED wrote:
    Cork to win it, it's their year, they're calling the football, soccer and hurling the rebel treble :rolleyes: :D

Cork to win the prem. After getting past Slavia Prague and into the group stage of the UEFA.

Galway to win the Hurling.

Kerry to beat Dublin in the AI Football final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Once chelski i mean shels don't win it i think most el fans will be happy.Buying/signing their supposed nearest rivals supposed best players was going to buy/win them the league this season has blown up in their faces.So for one i am happy that a country team"anyone but shels" wins it.

Went for cork but would like a last day finale if possible.

d22ontour wrote:
    Once chelski i mean shels don't win it i think most el fans will be happy.Buying/signing their supposed nearest rivals supposed best players was going to buy/win them the league this season has blown up in their faces.So for one i am happy that a country team"anyone but shels" wins it.

Went for cork but would like a last day finale if possible.

Typical anti Shels bias. It is all resentment for Shels run in the Champions League last year. Its pathetic IMO.

If Shels get second I will be delighted. UEFA Cup will do nicely. I cant see Derry or Shelbourne winning the Eircom league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

jubbly wrote:
    Typical anti Shels bias. It is all resentment for Shels run in the Champions League last year. Its pathetic IMO.

If Shels get second I will be delighted. UEFA Cup will do nicely. I cant see Derry or Shelbourne winning the Eircom league.

Dont mean to go off topic but that is laughable, everybody is delighted for Cork surely Shelbourne fans can see that their club is actually hated for the behaviour of Ollie Byrne and other figures at the club starting with winning the league in court and every little incident since then, but then again small clubs have small minds

Ollie has done very well for Shelbourne. Fair enough his personality isnt the nicest but If the league was properly administered Ollie wouldnt have to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jubbly wrote:
    Ollie has done very well for Shelbourne. Fair enough his personality isnt the nicest but If the league was properly administered Ollie wouldnt have to do that.

I hope you had your tongue placed firmly in cheek when you were typing that.

Ollie's in glasshouses, shouldn't throw stones...

I understand that Ollie has done good things for Shelbourne and fair enough let him continue I just dont think he should be allowed to open his mouth in the media or come within a mile of a football pitch on match day he is a loose cannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Exactly. Because most of the Shels blow-in seem to have jumped on board over the last 12 months or so (wonder why?) you seem to have this perception everyone hates your team purely because we're envious of your recent 'success'. But trust me it that's nothing to do with that.

Basically we dislike you when you're winning and we dislike you just as much when you're losing. I'm sure in coming years (if you actually bother to stick around!) you'll come to realise that oh too well.

jubbly wrote:

How exactly?

Club been running at a loss for years , being bankrolled to cover costs , a few decent paydays wont make up for the bankrolling , and if FAI was adminsitered properly? Your joking? Ollie bullies them into doing what he wants, got him a league title among other things so hes good at that.

Earlier in the season when you like won a game here and there there was a nice thread aboiut how hated you are, how come your opinion has changed on that ?
    When your the best everyone hates you , now your not everyone still hates you. Take a leaf out of Slash/Eds book and enjoy the hatred.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Pigman II wrote:
    Exactly. Because most of the Shels blow-in seem to have jumped on board over the last 12 months or so (wonder why?) you seem to have this perception everyone hates your team purely because we're envious of your recent 'success'. But trust me it that's nothing to do with that.

Basically we dislike you when you're winning and we dislike you just as much when you're losing. I'm sure in coming years (if you actually bother to stick around!) you'll come to realise that oh too well.

I'm sorry here buddy but all of the fans of eL clubs hate Shelbourne because of our success and money. I find it laughable when on go onto message boards of Cork and especially Bohs and I see at least half of the threads about Shelbourne football club. It's pathetic. Concentrate on your own team in future lads, use the Bohs ''casuals'' as your example...... 500 fans attending a do or die relegation play-off really shows how much a club can mean to the fans. :rolleyes:

Oh yes Shels are really gaining loads of fans are they? How come attendances at Tolka are exactly the same as before last years European run?

1) If even I personally don't hate shels for their success then how can 'all of the fans of eL clubs hate Shelbourne because of our success and money'. Many others feel the same as me so you're just deluding yourself tbh.

2) And what's all this about other clubs having nothing to do but talk about yis? Just for an example take bohs foot.ie page. 8 threads, not one concerning Shels. Only thing that even comes close is a thread regarding your manager Fenlon making comments ABOUT US which you'd have to admit given your accusation is rather ironic.

3) Wrt blow-ins I'm actually talking about supporters on this message board. If you took a straw poll about which El club each poster here leans towards then I've no doubt Shels would take about 40-50% of the total vote. Yet then you see professed supporters (like Jollyroger for example) frequently posting DURING shels home matches with the phrase 'we' you see what that 50% is really be worth.

Pigman II wrote:
    1)
    2) And what's all this about other clubs having nothing to do but talk about yis? Just for an example take bohs foot.ie page. 8 threads, not one concerning Shels.

OT gonna get bigger when you see the front page of the early Herald ....not good at all kinda sickening ffs his whole family suffering cos of it. But hey its Bohs fans its ok.......

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    OT gonna get bigger when you see the front page of the early Herald ....not good at all kinda sickening ffs his whole family suffering cos of it. But hey its Bohs fans its ok.......

kdjac

I dont read that rag but from what Ive read on the Bohs MB its only the phone calls to the 3 Judai the week before the match, I know Crowes father is still a regular at Dalymount so unless you want to elaborate further, obviously a slow news day, I think the big story the other day was about how Victoria Beckham likes housework or something like that

bohsman wrote:
    its only the phone calls to the 3 Judai the week before the match,

Ahh right so its cool to make abusive phone calls to someone at any time during the night for a 2 weeks in a row.

Sorry i thought that was sick and illegal, guess its a bohs thing....

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Ahh right so its cool to make abusive phone calls to someone at any time during the night for a 2 weeks in a row.

Sorry i thought that was sick and illegal, guess its a bohs thing....

kdjac

And throwing rocks at Cork fans is OK? I know theyre from Cork but its still sick and illegal so whenever you want to get off youre high horse

Why did they not turn their phones off at night btw?

bohsman wrote:
    And throwing rocks at Cork fans is OK? I know theyre from Cork but its still sick and illegal so whenever you want to get off youre high horse

Why did they not turn their phones off at night btw?

It was one rock not 30 or 40 people ringing constantly , and its his house phone which most people leave on/plugged in as normal people dont have to deal with scumbags ringing them and crying to the phone.

Sure your better off without them .....lol

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    It was one rock not 30 or 40 people ringing constantly , and its his house phone which most people leave on/plugged in as normal people dont have to deal with scumbags ringing them and crying to the phone.

Sure your better off without them .....lol

kdjac

1 rock thats ok then, how many stitches? how many stitches did Crowe need or was it only the fans turning up the pressure on the players? I think the same would happen if phone numbers of rival players of any team were handed out anywhere in europe especially if the players were hated by the fans

Of course were better off without them, look at how well Shels are doing since they arrived, Id take Crowe back in a flash at half the wages but the other two are ****e and the hatred is more to do with their lack of effort last year when it became clear early in the season that they were leaving.

bohsman wrote:
    1 rock thats ok then, how many stitches?

One rock was more than likely thrown by only one person. I think thats the point he is trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

bohsman wrote:
    1 rock thats ok then, how many stitches? how many stitches did Crowe need or was it only the fans turning up the pressure on the players? I think the same would happen if phone numbers of rival players of any team were handed out anywhere in europe especially if the players were hated by the fans

And you're still defending it? No wonder Bohs and Rovers can't stand each other, too similar for each other's liking...

bohsman wrote:

Of course were better off without them,

Can i have your home phone number please.

kdjac

bohsman wrote:
    Of course were better off without them, look at how well Shels are doing since they arrived, Id take Crowe back in a flash at half the wages but the other two are ****e and the hatred is more to do with their lack of effort last year when it became clear early in the season that they were leaving.

Hawkins (along with Heary possibly) has been our player of the season imo.

Im just saying the same would happen anywhere if a players phone number was handed out at a football match

Hawkins was good his first couple of seasons, then was muck last season till the rumours about Shels surfaced and it became clear he was playing for a contract with Shels
    Ryan was always a one trick pony (pun very much intended) he runs with the ball till he loses it not getting in anywhere near as many crosses as he should

I have to say I'm not happy that Glen is getting stick over the phones. He always did his best for us (even if he had a rubbish final season) and he was quite even reserved when he scored against us last week and I give him credit for that.

I do think however that if anyone deserves whats happening to them then it's Honker Hawkins. I never took a shine to the guy even when he was playing for us and the fact that he couldn't rise above it all and was taunting the Bohs support last week after the match shows how unprofesional he is.

Tbh, if I had been getting calls in the early hours of the morning for ages, I would have given the crowd abuse too. Can you not even understand where he is coming from Pigman?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Tbh, if I had been getting calls in the early hours of the morning for ages, I would have given the crowd abuse too. Can you not even understand where he is coming from Pigman?

No the abuse happened after the game with Shergar and Pinnochio driving around Drumcondra shouting abuse and gesturing to Bohs fans

Whereas Crowe proved that he is 100% proffesional with his Denis Law celebration and saying in interviews after how he still had a lot of respect for Bohs fans

Pigman II wrote:
    1) If even I personally don't hate shels for their success then how can 'all of the fans of eL clubs hate Shelbourne because of our success and money'. Many others feel the same as me so you're just deluding yourself tbh.

2) And what's all this about other clubs having nothing to do but talk about yis? Just for an example take bohs foot.ie page. 8 threads, not one concerning Shels. Only thing that even comes close is a thread regarding your manager Fenlon making comments ABOUT US which you'd have to admit given your accusation is rather ironic.

3) Wrt blow-ins I'm actually talking about supporters on this message board. If you took a straw poll about which El club each poster here leans towards then I've no doubt Shels would take about 40-50% of the total vote. Yet then you see professed supporters (like Jollyroger for example) frequently posting DURING shels home matches with the phrase 'we' you see what that 50% is really be worth.

1) Rubbish, unlucky, but rubbish. fans hate success, there are other reasons but they'd ultimately not important if teams are rubbish. Everyone in England hates Man U, everyone in Spain hates Real, everyone in Italy hates Milan. Coincidence? Nobody hated Shels in the 80s, they did in the 60s, and they do now. I wonder why

2) :D:D:D:D:D:D hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Read gypoweb. End of dicsussion. foot.ie Bohs section is not Bohs main messageboard, Shels home away from home, gypoweb, is. Foot.ies main section was praticvally shelsweb mark 3 until Cork progressed in the UEFA cup too.

I love Bohs really. STILL saying how little they care about the players who left. Showing that, of course, in the natural way. Ringing them 24/7, graffiting in their name and constantly whinging about them. If I didn't know better I'd think they were some kind of obsessed, rejected lover. But nah, they don't care. Wouldn't have them back bar Crowe.

1) Yet another rather sweeping generalisation.

Liverpool in the 70's-80's were even more dominant than ManU in the 90's but weren't even half as disliked. Same with Arsenal in the past 5 years or so. Face it, some clubs are just hated for reasons other than success. ManU are probably one. Shels are definitely one. Just to exemplify, by your statements and logic since Shels are rubbish this season we shouldn't care one jot about you which just goes to show how your presumption that 'success' is the core cause of unpopularity is incorrect.

Also, as an aside, the fact that you're even comparing yourselves in with clubs like ManU and Milan just shows how deluded you are. Even with your bankroll and CL stash you can't even manage to dominate the EL to the same degree as M+M have their own leagues.

2) Yes, but that's the great thing about your supporters in recent times. They're so busy flooding various message boards that they often times seem to forget that there’s a game on.

==

Think about it logically, if we wanted them back would we be giving them such stick?

But nah you're ok, just to clarify honestly and hopefully for the last time since Shels can’t seem to accept it we don't want any of them back, not even Crowe. You're welcome to them. For one thing commitment and loyalty is something we still value here and for another we've clearly already gotten their best years out of them anyway.

1) Laughable altering of history there. Liverpool were despised in the 80s. Arsenal were never as dominant as the other teams mentioned, they were never a club on that level. Chelsea look like they will be, and guess what, suddenly everyone doesn't like them now. Shels are rubbish this season but opinions like that don't change over a few seasons, if Shels go downhill, get relegated and spend 10 years in the first division, see who hates us then. Nobody but our historical rivals who there will always be a rivalry with, such as yourselves :)

I don't deny there are reasons beyond success and financial power, but ultimately that is the main one. It is the common denominator across every single football league on the planet.

Your last paragraph in point 1 is a pathetic attempt to create a reason to be outraged over.

2) Funnily enough I find plenty of time between matches to read our home away from home on gypoweb. That is a woeful argument, the fact is gypoweb is crawling with Shelbourne threads. At times it is shelbourne central. You can attempt to fob that off with the never used Bohs section on foot.ie where Shels threads would be moved to the main section anyway all you like. It is famous for it.

Your last paragraph is genius, pure genius. If you didn't care about them, would you be ringing them 24/7? Would you be obsessing over them? Would you be breaking into stadiums to paint pictures about them? Would there be regular threads on gypoweb opened discussing their form on Shelbourne? Would you have half your banners about them for our visit?

Where is all of this for Damien Lynch? Caffrey? Morrison?

You're little holying than thou rant about loyalty is sublime too. If that were the case, why on earth are you paying good wages to Tony Grant? Or Keddy, the ultimate journeyman. When have they showed anything close to loyalty? Did you sleep through their transfer to Bohemians? You genuinley believe that is a better off came in tomorrow they wouldn't do a Foley? You're seriously deluded if you do, past history has obviously thought you nothing.

Saying you wouldn't want them back is a complete and total joke, it is a lie. You are fooling nobody but yourself with that complete and total whaffle. If Crowe signed for Bohs tomorrow you wouldn't be absolutley delighted? If not, why do your fans obsess over him so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

why arent rovers in the poll?

i think there a shoe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Rovers for the Cup maybe.

Sure arent' they the "Cup Specialists" :D

1. What are you on about? Liverpool's level of unpopularity didn't even come close to ManU's. Hell there was even a term coined (the A.B.U.) to describe the phenomenon!

Also, the last paragraph isn't an ‘attempt’ to do anything or elicit any kind of response from you either for that matter.

2. The factor you seem be misunderstanding is that we care about them not for any reason of longing or envy. We 'care' about them because we feel let down by their career choices and the circumstances in which their moves happened. Also to me anyway loyalty isn't as simple as just 'sticking around' blindly when there's more money somewhere else. These people are professionals after all (even if some of them don't always act like such). It's also about leaving in the right way and treating the club with a bit of respect.

You seem to have to constantly dwell on to this childish jibe of 'I bet you'd take the trio back in a second if you could'? The point I am trying to make to you (for the 2nd time now is) loud and clear and HONESTLY is that NO I personally would not like to see any of them back at this club and that those involved in harassing these players clearly have no interest in getting them back either - otherwise they wouldn't be pursuing their particular course of action, would they?

BTW, that's pretty serious thing to be calling me a liar here and I don't appreciate being called it by you. I'd suggest you apologise and retract that before it gets you in a spot of bother.

1) There is no way to argue on this, but Liverpool were and still are hated because of their dominance. The only change is the saturation of coverage of the premiership which has coincided with Man Us era of dominance.

2) Treating the club with respect? Did you know that all the players who left Bohs that year, every single one, signed an agreement with the club to forget about moneys owed to them by Bohs. Had even one not signed this agreement Bohs would not have gotten their license (Not that that matters a jot). Bet they wouldn't sign it now :) Afterall, treating with respect doesn't seem to be a mutual thing at Bohs, given the treatment they have been subjected to (That has strangely not effected the likes of Damien Lynch as much, funny that).

Those that harass them know that there is no chance they will ever return anyway, and are merely venting their frustration. Otherwise, why would they bother? Why haven't they bothered with others before?

You seem to think you have some utopia of loyalty at Bohs and that is the basis of your argument that you wouldn't want them back. It is a pile of nonsense. On that basis, I assume you are still hounding Tony Grant and co out of the club as we speak? Loyal to Bohs, or anyone, they are not, and if you deny that you're either a fool or simply trying too hard to win some argument on the internet.

All Bohs fans would take Morro back, he was a legend but got unlucky with a life threatening disease, moved back to England for family reasons and still goes to the odd Bohs game, Caffo was a great servant to the club and nobody could blame him for wanting first team football, Lynch was a woeful player, fact is these transfers were done properly and not to our closest rivals for the last couple of years, especially the Bobby Ryan transfer which wasnt supposed to take place for another three months, he turned up at Dalymount for his wages after posing in a Shels scarf with the rest of the new signings and was promptly sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Slash/ED wrote:
    1) There is no way to argue on this, but Liverpool were and still are hated because of their dominance.

Hated but who , let me see Everton fans I suppose and then............well a good few man united fans it seems and other than that no one .

Big Ears wrote:
    Hated but who , let me see Everton fans I suppose and then............well a good few man united fans it seems and other than that no one .

Actually had a dicussion with an Everton fan from Liverpool, they dont really hate each other because most families are split down the middle

bohsman wrote:
    All Bohs fans would take Morro back, he was a legend but got unlucky with a life threatening disease, moved back to England for family reasons and still goes to the odd Bohs game, Caffo was a great servant to the club and nobody could blame him for wanting first team football, Lynch was a woeful player, fact is these transfers were done properly and not to our closest rivals for the last couple of years, especially the Bobby Ryan transfer which wasnt supposed to take place for another three months, he turned up at Dalymount for his wages after posing in a Shels scarf with the rest of the new signings and was promptly sacked

Exactly

Morro - finished
    Caffrey - Not good enough
    Lynch - Absolutley woeful

That's the difference. That's why there's no outrage there.

Advertisement