Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightly Boards Backup

Options
  • 25-08-2005 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I, among quite a few users do be online late at night

The boards backup is currently set at 3am. At this time there does be a fair amount of us night hawks online and it's an inconvenience! Sometimes i just can't be bothered waiting the half an hour, i just get too tired then. It's really annoying though when you get into a certain thread and the backup starts...

So a request....could the backup be timed at lets say 5am instead? I think this would work well because it allows the late night users to have their time on boards without getting into a bad humor when they suddenly get cut off and then it backs up just before the early morning users come online...so everyone is happy :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I agree with this,
    as i posted a few mins ago on after hours i found it to play havoc with my USA schedule and a 5am back-up would more suit if possible. I was only on holidays there but with the frantic pace of life there night-time is when i used to browse boards and i'm sure other american/irish etc. in the states would appreciate having boards made more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually I like it...

It forces me to go to bed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually I like it...

It forces me to go to bed...

You said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its just my way of saying 'go to bed'. Alternatively, if you want to buy us a netapp, I'll take a snap mirror without the downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Regi wrote:
    Alternatively, if you want to buy us a netapp, I'll take a snap mirror without the downtime.
    To be honest, I think boards would be missing something if you got rid of the downtime completely - but who goes to bed at 3am these days? That lark's for the grannys. 5am's the bed time of champions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Regi wrote:
    Its just my way of saying 'go to bed'. Alternatively, if you want to buy us a netapp, I'll take a snap mirror without the downtime.
    Sure. Third-party, out-of-state, bad cheque do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Seriously though, a 5am downtime would be much nicer. I was going to suggest perhaps an even later time of 6am but I realise that some people would have just gotten up and would want to browse then so.....

I fully support a change to 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this is the sort of thing that you can't please everyone with.

5-6 am people might be in work already, people getting up etc etc.

3-4 am people still up.

i'm sure the admins had looked and saw when the least amount of activity is on the server and based the downtime on that to affect the least amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Regi wrote:
    Is there no way to do hot backups?

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I would say I agree with a change, but there have been so many times where the 3AM downtime has served as a reverse alarm-clock, God knows what would happen to me if it was pushed back by two hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It would be nice if it didnt have to back up every single night, maybe once a week or something, during early sunday or something, it is very frustrating. before the backups were 15 to 20 minutes, now they take 45 to 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would be nice if it didnt have to back up every single night, maybe once a week or something, during early sunday or something, it is very frustrating. before the backups were 15 to 20 minutes, now they take 45 to 50 minutes.
    I don't think I can imagine the level of complaining that would take place about proper backup strategies if people lost 3 or 4 days worth of posts from corruption. Sod's law also dictates that the database would need to be restored from backup, 6 days, 13.5 hours after the first "weekly" backup. I'm guessing each back up is incremental, as opposed to a backup of the entire DB. The time would increase because the volume of users and therefore posts is ever increasing.

Backup/Recovery I'm sure is already near the top of the Admins' extensive todo list. If only the had some money.....(hint)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Regi wrote:

Well maybe just think about it Regi!? You see theres alot of us that just can't always go asleep at that time! I think it's too early for a backup...
    Cremo wrote:
    this is the sort of thing that you can't please everyone with.
    5-6 am people might be in work already, people getting up etc etc

I actually do think a 5am backup would please alot of people...if you go online at 5am there is barely a peep on boards and then the backup would be finished at around 5:45 perfect for early risers

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd go with gazza on this, 5am seems right IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'd love if it was at 5!! I'm often still awake at 3 and it is really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

Me too, really annoying when you're still up (I usually am, boards is my bedtime reading!) 3am is way to early. I support the 5am backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, personally I'm against this. I need boards.ie to go down on me before I can go too sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, personally I'm against this. I need boards.ie to go down on me before I can go too sleep ;)

Ah who can value your op with a name like that! Your bias :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

5am sounds ideal...but as has been said...its a nice way of tellin ya to goto bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This is suggested just about every year and it has never changed :x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I personally prefer 6am cause that's when I start all my wrap up, but 5 will do, cause it's still quiet here at 3am...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Read the boards stats on bigboards.com
    3am is the quietest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Read the boards stats on bigboards.com
    3am is the quietest time.
    Because it's not online.

Stats here - the big drop at 3am (2200 on the page) and then a fair few return between 4-5, after which it stays quite low until 0800.

Aside from the 3o'clock downtime, 5-6 seems the quietest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

lol.
    very silly of me.
    thats my reminder that I need to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I support the 5 a.m. proposal. A simple change?

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I personally prefer 6am cause that's when I start all my wrap up...
    Duffle coats?

(Bugger, is it duffle or duffel? A spelling quandary from such a trivial post, shame shame!)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I'd agree with moving it to 5, a lot of people seem to be quite active for the couple of hours before that.
    Although it going down at 3 does remind me to go to bed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah, boards is dead at 6am.
    Very often I find I'm just after finishing a humongous post, and just as I get ready to click submit, I notice the backup had started while I was still typing :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

am I reading those stats wrong or does it seem that boards.ie is busier at three than it is at 12-2? That can't be right...

Advertisement