Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightly Boards Backup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

netapp snap mirror, price range $6700

http://shopper.cnet.com/NetApp_SnapMirror_license/4014-10864_9-31206907.html

Would a maxtor one touch not do the same job?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Fabritzo wrote:
    Would a maxtor one touch not do the same job?!

Probably not. I personally wouldn't use one of those if you gave me a truckload of them. :mad: But I could make a tidy profit if you did. :)

The backup has to take place so I'm mystified why anyone thinks it needs to take place at a new time. What are you people doing up anyway? You need your beauty sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

gazza22 wrote:
    Oh btw...last night @ 3:06am there were 83 members & 82 guests online...
    And in comparison, now, at 5:19 a.m., there are online: 34 members and 83 guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

gazza22 wrote:
    So wheres the 5 golden stars amp! hehe :D

Um.. currently the most popular tatoo in Liverpool?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I've rarely slept during my time off work, and am mostly awake when the backup takes place. It generally happens during one of my regular early morning 'Biki Fanatical Craze' sessions, so of course it's a minor inconvienience, but the way I see it... If you can't find a means to entertain yourself (beit via the internet or god know what other activities you would perform at 3:00am in the morning in the Real World) then that's tough, innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Again at 3am, 77 registered users 111 guests!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Another bleary-eyed vote for a 5am back up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

4:30 now and much less @ 41 members and 91 guests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Well I'm one of those folks every night. Damn you insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Can't wait to vote in the upcoming election! Oh thank the Lords Of Kobol for this democratic website and it's freedom of speech!

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for your vote next month during the annual Admin elections.

*amp wakes up to find Bobby Ewing in the shower*

What an odd dream. Personally I think the only person who's opinion counts about when boards backup happens are the Admins. They've saved boards from complete destruction many times. If they want it at 3am then that's what it should be. If they want it at 6pm then that's what it should be.

Things to do while Boards backs up your posts between 3 and 4am:
    1. Have a shower. Have a shave. Do your nails. You're filthy
    2. Read www.penny-arcade.com or some other webcomic.
    3. Read a book.
    4. Play solitaire
    5. Log into IRC
    6. Open up notepad and write something funny. Post it on boards when it's online again.
    7. Learn how to juggle.
    8. Walk the dog. If you don't have a dog then find a stray and walk that.
    9. Learn how to ride a unicycle.
    10. Masterbate with an oven glove. If you don't have one then try a scarf.

As you can see there are many things you can do to while away the time. Don't see this as a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its now @ 32 members and 109 guests

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jesus amp, get your head out of your arse for a second and realise people are making a suggestion, not demanding a change (or even realisticly expecting one in most cases). I don't think anyone is disputing the Admin's all mighty word on the matter.

If they want it at three, fine. All people here are pointing out is that it could be moved to five, for the seamingly obvious reasons mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

At least thirty of the current guests are search bots. Should we consult them on the matter too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Amz wrote:
    At least thirty of the current guests are search bots. Should we consult them on the matter too?
    Well, the point is that there are now less people on the site. So now it's 109 minus 30 guests. What was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amp wrote:
    If they want it at 6pm then that's what it should be.
    This has its merits, there is a temporary lull at 6pm as people are stuck in traffic. the peaks are at 5pm ("quick, post before I go home") and 7pm ("ah, home now, cheap off-peak intarweb")

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What is currently being used to actually run the backup?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

gazza22 wrote:
    Hum i'm trying to decypher that one...

So are you be sarcastic saying i'm stating the obvious or are you genuinely surprised that many were online?

Obviously there's going to be no-one online at 3am, or shortly after, because the backup is takig place. No matter how you try to convince Ecksor that it'd be better to move it. I'm getting the feeling it's not going to work.

John

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lump wrote:
    Obviously there's going to be no-one online at 3am, or shortly after, because the backup is takig place. No matter how you try to convince Ecksor that it'd be better to move it. I'm getting the feeling it's not going to work.

John
    Oh I don't know about that, I hear he's quite partial to mustard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'd prefer a 5am backup as well.
    I work nights every so often and it's as annoying as hell when it goes down at 3am for almost an hour.
    At 5am I'm busier in work anyway, trying to tidy up after the night, so I wouldn't miss it as much.
    Right that settles it then - it'll have to be changed to 5am because it suits me better :).

Why not have a poll on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

[edu-cartoon]Because that poll would be unconstitutional. But what if we changed the constitution?[/edu-cartoon]

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote:

Why not have a poll on it?

There won't be a poll, I'm assuming, because this isn't a democracy.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

amp wrote:
    Can't wait to vote in the upcoming election! Oh thank the Lords Of Kobol for this democratic website and it's freedom of speech!

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for your vote next month during the annual Admin elections.

Hum theres no point in being smart, the whole idea of this forum is freedom of speech, where users can make suggestions and then the Admins can decide yay or nay...oh and believe me you won't get it :p
    amp wrote:
    What an odd dream. Personally I think the only person who's opinion counts about when boards backup happens are the Admins. They've saved boards from complete destruction many times. If they want it at 3am then that's what it should be. If they want it at 6pm then that's what it should be.

In line with the gathering card...Amp once again enlightenes us with "blindly obvious" information
    amp wrote:
    10. Masterbate with an oven glove. If you don't have one then try a scarf.

Masterbate? wtf is that?

Well still waiting on the final answer and nobody apart from the admins can say yes or no...it's a simple thing to do the way i see it, and it's not going to harm anybody...This has supposably been called upon in the past too, there is obviously alot of support for this, so why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I like the backup. It lets me know I should be in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

gazza22 wrote:
    the whole idea of this forum is freedom of speech
    wrong.
    Who told you this?
    Or did you just take it upon yourself to decide the 'point' of the feedback forum?

Well to put your mind at rest, and since I'm probably the *Most* important person who will reply to your request.

REQUEST DENIED

John

I'm of no importance.

Is this the only place on the internet where somebody idly wondering about backup times can turn into a row? Somebody reckons they'd enjoy the site a bit more if it backed up at a different time, so they made the suggestion. A few other people reckoned hey, that'd be nice, and agreed so that it was clear that there were a number of posters interested in the idea. Nothing hostile or rude about that, is there? So how come the response was as if we'd demanded that the Admins handed over the site to become a dedicated club for pet-murdering child molesters?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Is this the only place on the internet where somebody idly wondering about backup times can turn into a row? Somebody reckons they'd enjoy the site a bit more if it backed up at a different time, so they made the suggestion. A few other people reckoned hey, that'd be nice, and agreed so that it was clear that there were a number of posters interested in the idea. Nothing hostile or rude about that, is there? So how come the response was as if we'd demanded that the Admins handed over the site to become a dedicated club for pet-murdering child molesters?
    Probably because so many people have tried just that over the years that users lash out at any suggested change with chants of "dooooom!".
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    wrong.
    Who told you this?
    Or did you just take it upon yourself to decide the 'point' of the feedback forum?

He's quite right you know Fuzzy, Feedback is the admins playground where anyone can say anything; more or less.
    It is essentially where all users have "Freedom of Speech".

Hence why here's where you find otherwise level-headed mods letting off steam and acting like petulant children, including me the odd time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

DeVore wrote:
    Feel free to tell us what you think would make it better. We may very well implement your idea (we've done that a ton of times before) or we may very well completely ignore it or tell you we cant.
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    wrong.
    Who told you this?

Jeez why are some people so uptight about such trivial things!....yes it if freedom of speech and obviously because we're in the FEEDBACK forum, it's freedom of speech in a FEEDBACK sort of way

...i'm only here to make a suggestion not stand up on a box and preach my words to everyone...

And you've made your suggestion. So let it die.

John

• Advertisement

Gosh, thank God you're here! Fearlessly saving us from the terrible crime of discussing the pros and cons of a possible improvement to the site! God knows that's not exactly what this forum is for, and we absolutely weren't still getting new opinions on the subject right up to yesterday evening or anything!

Anyway... my 'netting window is from 12 to about 3.30am. The backup usually kills at least one of my posts-in-progress, and then I can't be bothered coming back or staying up. Speaking of which... better post this soon, huh? :D

Advertisement