Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackets

Options
  • 25-08-2005 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Could anyone give me some advice on which outdoor jacket to buy. My budget is around €250 and I'd mainly use it for hiking and hunting, wearing in a cold bedsit! . Just a nice warm, waterproof jacket, windproof ???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Where are you based? Ireland or somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

Ireland

Wexford/Galway-ish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tadhg123

Most modern hillwalking jackets arent suited to hunting. I was walking, climbing, mountaineering etc in a 150 euro helly hanson jacket for a long while.
    If i was you id buy a surplus jacket for hunting, I use a german border guard jacket myself, and get a lightweight shell jacket for hiking. (you can layer up with a fleece for warmth if neccessary)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

On a side note, TK Max is a great place to buy Gortex jackets. They will be last years line but still perfect.

TK Max eh? Cool, I need a new one.

Sporting and Fishing shops are good places to find hunting jackets and they'll be as good as their hill-walking/mountaineering equivalents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

TK Max may sell Gortex jackets but it's not just the material that makes a jacket. You should check out the Patagonia store and see when they have a sale on, they do really good jackets there and at good prices when on sale.

FX Have a look in TK Max some time they sell all the top brands. Its also a great spot for picking up skiing and snow boarding gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

Rew wrote:
    FX Have a look in TK Max some time they sell all the top brands. Its also a great spot for picking up skiing and snow boarding gear.

I can't buy from TK Max !!!! All the auld lads in tweed coats will give me a fierce grilling for it !! :D Only messing.

Thanks, I never knew they had outdoor gear. Thanks again.

I often check out TK Max and rarely find any good jackets there. If I want a jacket for outdoors I'm fairly specific with what I want and the demands I place on it. I've never seen anything to come close to what I want in TK Max.

TK Max stirring those passions :D

• Advertisement

Fair enough and each to their own, like I said iv seen plenty of execlent jackets in there and its always worth a look. :)

I'm sure they are ok, just not up to the standard of what I would want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sorry to chime in so late - New job with long hours (initially anyway!) has kept me busy.
    I'd second the recommendation on TK Maxx but it's a long trek to Dublin just to see if they happen to have anything decent. I've bought Berghaus fleeces there in the past and Crag Hoppers breathable jackets and pants as my muck about set for scouting - I keep the Lowe Alpine gear for my own outings onto the bog. If anyone's around it's worth dropping in at this time of year to see what's available.

On another note - The Lowe Alpine shop (I'm not an employee - Just a long time fan of Greg Lowe's original product lines) often sort out great deals for me....Just as good as anything I've come across online. The trick is to get added to their mailing list and if you do this when buying something they'll give you 10% off without quibble. After that you get a postcard letting you know in advance of every sale so you can pick up bargain kit before the browsers get to it....

Cheers,

Gil

Advertisement