Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

settin up ntl bb with a 3com router

• 25-08-2005 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi im having problems setting up NTL bb with a wireless router the router i have is a 3com router. what if any settings do i need to apply to the router to get it to work with my NTL BB modem.

thanks

EoinF

btw i am tring to run both a wireless and wired pc off the wireless router will this cause a problem. this is what i bought

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304347&cks=SER

i can connect both pcs together no poblem so the router and wireless adapter seem to be working fine i just cant seem to connect to the net through the router . I think im missing something in the set-up of the router . The NTL website is useless and gives little to no information.
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok, I don't have that particular model but this is how it should work:

1) Plug the ethernet cable coming from the router into the WAN port in the router. (it most be the WAN port, no other port will do).

2) Connect to your routers online setup page from your PC and set the basic settings to something like this:

- Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically From ISP
    - Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: Get Automatically From ISP

The actual wording might differ from yours.

3) Some people have reported problems with their NTL modem where it will only connects to the MAC address of your PC. In order to fix this, turn your NTL modem off for 30 mintutes, then turn it back on. Also if it doesn't work then, you could try turning your router off and then back on again. Once you got it setup you shouldn't need to do this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

cheers
    for that will try and see if it works

which pc's MAC address should i assign to the router ,the MAC add of the pc connected directly to the router through the ethernet cable or the MAC of the PC with the wireless adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

The mac address of the pc that NTL was set up on originally

if you connect that pc directly to the router via ethernet you should have an option in the setup of the router to clone Mac address

If you cant do that leave the NTL modem off for at least 30 minutes and it should connect on the MAc of the router

once its set up for the router will it be effected because im running two pcs (well one laptop on pc ) off the router

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eoinf wrote:
    once its set up for the router will it be effected because im running two pcs (well one laptop on pc ) off the router

No, you can add and remove PC's from the router all you like with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

sorry for the stupid question guys, but why is there a need for those 30 minutes? does ntl's modem have a temp memory or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I had the same problem with the same 3com router, the trick was to change the settings on origional router so that it acts as a bridge to the net connection as opposed to being the net access point, thats fairly unclear but as i said i had trouble with it when it arrived but i rang my isp and they sorted it all out

im still having a problem rang NTL and they are useless no help whatsoever.

Johnny, any idea exactly what you had to do to get it working could you look at the router settings and tell me what they are set to.

any idea how to fix a router that has been thrown out a window cause that is exactly what im gonna do with this if i dont get it working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

have you tried cloning the mac address of the pc on the router

it has to be the mac address through the ethernet port not through any wireless device

I have heard that in some areas that the modem has to be turned of for 4 hours before it will connect through a different mac address if you are not trying to clone the mac address

adventually got it working. everything is fine dont ask me how it just seemd to work today when i tried it.

for anyone who wants to know that router and wireless kit are great i was able to connect at a very good speed nearly 80m from the router. Even when 3 pc's are connected to the router thhe speeds are fine.

thanks for everyones help

• Advertisement
Advertisement