Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Car importing

Options
  • 25-08-2005 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Evening All,

I'm new to this website, and looking through some of the threads it seems like this might be the place to drop this question.

I've been looking into buying a celica over the last few months, preferably direct from japan myself. A lot of the dealers around the country seem to be over pricing their stock. Anyway... I came across a few sites mainly www.japaneseusedcars.com and www.japnuts.com. has anyone heard of these companies before? Has anyone any experience of importing jap cars direct, dealing with companies in Japan? If so how did it go? How difficult/easy is it when dealing with customs/VRT/port duty etc. once the car is in Ireland? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

I imported a Celica during the year from www.bestjapancar.com and it was as easy as buying a CD online.

The car arrives at Dublin port and the customs brokers clear the car for you--costs about EUR250. Then you arrange to collect it.

They send you the customs form RF100 which you bring to your local vrt office and pay the vrt.

Costs are as follows

Cost of car including carriage (CIF) e.g. EUr5000
    excise duty 10% 500New total 5500

Vat at 21% 1155

Total cleared cost 6655

Plus customs clearance and cost of collecting car and then VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Steevo

Hi,

I used Japnuts to bring in a Pajero and found them good. I answered a previous post about them before, you can read my experience here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202783

I also used bestjapancar to bring in a celica gt4 a few years back (2000 I think). When the car arrived it had obviously been clocked and had light accident damage which they didn't tell me about. The car was basically alright, but they obviously werent being straight with me. It certainly wasn't as easy as buying a CD on the net, it took me 3 days to clear the car through customs in Dublin and the paperwork was a pain in the a***.

I dont know anything about japaneseusedcar, but the look to me like a lot of the other dealers/exporters in Japan.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

just search the forum, there are good few threads about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

ei9go wrote:
    I imported a Celica during the year from www.bestjapancar.com and it was as easy as buying a CD online.

The car arrives at Dublin port and the customs brokers clear the car for you--costs about EUR250. Then you arrange to collect it.

They send you the customs form RF100 which you bring to your local vrt office and pay the vrt.

Costs are as follows

Cost of car including carriage (CIF) e.g. EUr5000
    excise duty 10% 500New total 5500

Vat at 21% 1155

Total cleared cost 6655

Plus customs clearance and cost of collecting car and then VRT
    Do I need to be at the port when the car comes in?
    How do I find the car once it comes into the port?
    Does customs look after taking the car off the ship & do they contact me when it is in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

When you know the ship with the car on it is coming in, you phone MC customs brokers. They look after all the paperwork and tell you when you can collect your car after the customs have looked at it.

You fill in NO FORMS. They do it all. Costs around EUR250.

After the customs have looked at the car, MC send you the RF100 which is what you need to pay the VRT and get a reg number.

A local garage collected the car at Dublin port on a transporter and delivered it to my door.

It really was as easy as buying a CD.

Well Lads,

Looks like www.japaneseusedcars.com is worth buying from if anyone is thinking of importing. I got my Celica on Monday. A long wait (2.5 months) but worth it. She has a BEAMS engine so I got a nice surprise. I was expecting a standard engine. The car was delivered right to my door. I could sell her in the morning and make €3K profit no problem. The car is in an immaculate condition, on a bit of dust from transportation.

I would definitely buy from them again and would recommend them to anyone. If anyone would like to get a car brought in I would do it for a small fee and all the paperwork and documentation would be in your name. That way it keeps the tax man away from me an you still save a couple of grand.

Happy car hunting to those of you that are looking for Jap imports.

I will post some pictures of her when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Also, try to be a basic car, ie. no ICE, gauges etc. because chances are they'll get nicked en-route ... ive read some horror stories on other sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Gunshot

ma dad imported a Mitsubishi Chariot Grandis frm www.mehran.co.jp nd da car is deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

stephen how do you pick the car on http://www.japaneseusedcars.com
    is it only by auction or can you just pick it online.
    i want to but a civic type r, or civic sir, integra type r. but want a good and easy way to buy it.as its my 1st time.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

drdre wrote:
    stephen how do you pick the car on http://www.japaneseusedcars.com
    is it only by auction or can you just pick it online.
    i want to but a civic type r, or civic sir, integra type r. but want a good and easy way to buy it.as its my 1st time.
    thanks

I thought youve a court appearance? I'd be saving my money for a solicitor before I think about getting a Type R :)

yeah i know im in court, but im asking how do i go about gettin a car in,i want to use it and then sell it.
    thanks for your comment john

guys anyone know how much it would cost to get a 00 civic type r into dublin including all fees etc.and which has a good spec or extras on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

shipping varies on the volume occupied by the car in the container. It can be anything from 500 - 1200 euro.

When it lands, you have to pay VRT. You can check how much the VRT on a given car here: https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

You have a dock landing charge of about 100 and of course VAT@21% on the cost of the vehicle AND shipping. So, for example on an MX5 I was looking at:

Car: 2750
    Shipping 600
    VAT on both 703
    VRT (1992) 763
    Landing Chg 100

Landed total: 4916

thanks supercomputer, thats good info.

drdre/Everybody else,

1. You look at the sales price data for whatever car you want, to get a ball
    park price for the car you are looking for.

2. You fill in the application form and budget you are willing to spend. They
    will reply to you advising you if your budget is large enough for what you
    want. (You must be reasonable, cars are cheap, but you won't get them
    for pittens).

3. You send a deposit of 150000 Yen to their account.

4. You find the car you want at the auction, email the auction reference
    number to them with the maximum bid you are willing to pay. (It is not
    like ebay where you can watch the prices increasing, auctions are over
    within seconds or even minutes).

5. They will email you within a day or two to let you know if you were
    successful or not.

6. If you are successful, you must pay the balance within 3 days or else the
    car gets sent back in for auction and costs are taken from your deposit.

7. You may bid on a number of cars in one day, you must list them in order
    of preference.

8. Once you are successful, all paperwork is done on their side, they send
    the paperwork FEDEX, you pay shipping insurance, and freight charges on
    the cost of the car, arrange customs agent in Ireland and transporter and
    all going well, the car will arrive at your door within 2-3 months. Mine was
    over a christmas period, so maybe that is why it took so long.

9. Then you have to bring the car to you nearest VRO to pay VRT. You
    cannot drive the car here until you get registration plates. I had to get
    mine straight away because Hibernian wouldn't Insure the car with chasis
    number (she laughed at me and asked was I serious), too much of a risk
    to let the car in the drive uninsured.

That's it in a nutshell. It took me over 12 months to figure all this stuff out, but I'd do it again no bother now that I know what I'm doing.

So....if anyone needs help, advice, or would like me to do all the work for them just let me know.

How do I attach pictures to this forum, I want to show you what she looks like?????

Just got the car alarm fitted yesterday, so she's all secure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

8. arrange customs agent in Ireland

Ive heard this mentioned a fair bit,what exactly is there role and how much do they charge?are they essential for when your car arrives?eg is it not possible to just remove it from the docks once unloaded from the ship?
    9. Then you have to bring the car to you nearest VRO to pay VRT.

When you brought the car to the office was it inspected?ive heard of people removing bumpers ect to make the car look worse off/lesser value hence getting it cleared slightly cheaper.There also seems to be a difference in prices in different counties too

Im close to bidding on a car at the moment,a 00 civic type R,the price difference even after 3600 worth of vrt is still a hell of alot cheaper its unreal

you can take the car off the ship yourself if you know what you are doing. You can leave it on the docks for 7 days free of charge. after that its pretty dear i think. I don't know cause i didn't wait to find out. For the sake of €70 I left an agent sort out all the clearing and payments to customs, its their speciality. I then got the agent and transporter in touch with each other and the organised it between them to collect the car and drop it to my door.

On taking the car to the VRO, it was a joke. I phoned a few timeS just to be clear on what was happening. One person told me just bring in the paperwork and on the day I got the car I checked again to be sure and I was told to bring the car in for inspection. Went in, spent ages trying to get trade plates to drive the car and when I asked do they want to inspect the car the woman said "no" my paperwork was OK. So you'd be best off to bring the car in. There's no point in trying to make the car look shabby. They only want to see that the car is what the paperwork says it is. They have set values on the revenues website. My VRT was bang on what the revenue website said it was going to be.

stephen thanks for the information on how to buy a car from japan, is it not possible just to go out and buy a car instead of that auction stuff, as that does sound like alot of time is spent on picking cars from the auction etc.there must be a website where you can just go and buy a car at a fixed price.

also eireal how much would a 00 type r cost in japan without vrt,paid,just tring to get a rough idea of how this works.

thanks guys and stephen post pics of your car if you get a chance

Here are some photo's of the car. drdre, as I said, If it is like too much work I can assist you for a small price. It would still be cheaper than a dealer cause I ain't doing this for a living, I have a full time job. The site offers cars at a fixed price too. I don't know of any other sites the offer fixed price cars. I spent a year lookin into this particular website and found it to be the most user friendly. Other companies asked too many questions like are you a dealer, how many cars would you be buying from them in a year, sign documents first, their english was poor. Tony from Japaneseusedcars.com is from Britain so he would be more familiar with the market on this side of the water, and always replied to every email within the next working day, not a single problem from them.

More pics

• Advertisement

Final pics.

Thats all the pics I've taken so far of her. She is absolutely spotless, apart from the dent behind the back wheel. But that's easy to get pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

I was speaking to a (small-time) car dealer today. He said that you cannot register Japanese cars here if they are younger than 6 years - i.e. anything later than 2000. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Such a rule would seem very restrictive, particularly for anyone intending to set up an import business.
    He also said that scrapyards are often the only place for sourcing certain (non-UK spec) replacement parts (e.g. Micra lights, gearboxes). Surely there's an equivalent to gsfcarparts.com for Japanese cars?

Ive seen 2000+ jap imports here,mostly DC5 Integra type R's so i'd say that puts that one down the drain.

@DrDre - 00 civic type R,grade 4.5,60'000 miles - €7500 including shipping,VRT is about 3600 so 11000 all in.(Am i right in saying that or are there further customs and vat charged ontop of VRT?) Either ways that car here from any jap importer is in or around 16k

Is this dealer a personal friend of yours? If he is then fair enough you wouldn't expect a friend to lie to you. But if he's not the he's probably only trying to protect his best interests ie. his business. I have a lot of friends with japanese imports and they have no problem with finding parts mechanically, which is most important. On body parts, yes, the jap imports are different to the UK spec. But...with the internet now, they can be ordered from Japan and there are so many Japanese imports in Ireland and UK that it will not be hard to find. I had that worry when buying the car but I said F*#k it, I've had a car for the last 5 years and never had to replace any parts on it and I'm hoping I never will with this one either touch wood. I'll just have to deal with that when if it happens. I've realised that thinking too much into things in the past has prevented me from just doing it and enjoying it for the moment, and I've regretted it. So unless your really stuck for money that way and wouldn't be able to replace the parts, then stick with cars on this side of the water. The only things that would need replacing are the lights and bumpers. Panel beaters ca do the rest and if your in that position then more than likely your insurance company might be involved too. If someone hits you, you'll be claiming from their insurance, so just drive carefully and wisely and watch your moves on the road so as you don't cause the accident. I know I've gone off the point a bit, but these are all the things I used to worry about before getting a Jap import.

Hope that helped a bit.

I never addressed your point on the cars younger than 6 years. I have to agree with eireal, that one is way down the drain. All you have to do is check the VRT on the revenues website and you can see that they have values for the cars. Why wouldn't one be able to register a Jap import that is 6 years or youger?? Ring your local VRO and they can tell you straight up.

"Am i right in saying that or are there further customs and vat charged ontop of VRT?) Either ways that car here from any jap importer is in or around 16k"[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add Duty and VAT so you add another 1750 to that so it would be:

7500+1750+3600 = 12850 so around €13K

customs & VAT is charged before the VRT, then take your clearace papers to the VRO to pay the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Thanks Stephen.
    It's actually my next door neighbour. He's from Iran and buys and sells cars on a small scale to make ends meet.
    I've seen a few newer cars advertised so I thought the 6-year thing was strange. Either someone told him fibs to protect their patch, or there's extra red tape for newer cars. I'll try and find out more over the weekend.
    I'm not interested in importing a car for myself (at least for now). I have a friend who's considering doing this as a business and I may tag along for a while.

"Am i right in saying that or are there further customs and vat charged ontop of VRT?) Either ways that car here from any jap importer is in or around 16k"

You forgot to add Duty and VAT so you add another 1750 to that so it would be:

7500+1750+3600 = 12850 so around €13K

customs & VAT is charged before the VRT, then take your clearace papers to the VRO to pay the VRT.[/QUOTE]

Whats the method to calculate the duty and Vat?

Either ways its a 3k + saving on buying here,i think the only problem with jap imports at the minute is every tom dick and harry figured out it wasnt that hard to do and tried making a killing on it,people are also still willing to pay stupid amounts of money for some cars eg 98 toyota glanza V for 10 - 12k which is madness.

yeah eireal everyone is tring to import at the moment, but i just want to get one for myself with this year, if i get my insurance down abit this year then will get a honda integra dc5 2003/2004. it should be 3-4 grand cheaper if i get it imported myself as prices here are ridiculous.

is there any other site to check out other than

http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/

thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's 10% duty or 'Common Customs Tarrif' on the landed price i.e. car + fees + shipping + insurance giving you a duty paid price of €8250

There's 21% VAT on the duty paid price bringing it up to €9982.50

The revenue calculator gives me a VRT price of €4546 (selecting model as EP - High Spec) giving a total of €14528.

So if you can get a similar car here for €16k, I'd say that it was a reasonable price given that you don't have the risk of buying something you've never seen, you don't have to wait for anything between 6 weeks and 3 months for delivery, you dont have to pay out €7500 months before getting the car.

Clonskeagh motors have a 2002 Type R with 45k miles for €18,950
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=370238
    You'll be probably be able to trade in your old car if that's your thing or negotiate a discount if not (I'd be surprised if you couldn't get 1k of for a quick straight cash deal). You'll get a warranty from a main honda dealer, it will be fully serviced and probably have a full service history.

If taking a gamble to save ~€1500 on a €16000 deal which is about 10%, is your thing, then go for the import. if it was my money I think I'd go for the one in clonskeagh motors, an extra €4000 (possibly) gets you a car 2 years newer with warrenty and the reassurance of having been able to test drive it and do a full check before buying.

Advertisement