Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Car importing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Alias is correct - I just brought a 1974 911 I bought in Australia I paid about 10 k for it but duty and VAT added nearly 4K . ( Shipping cost is hard to say as I had a lot of household stuff as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 breffo

I used www.ibcjapan.co.jp which is linked to their auction site www.idirect.co.jp
    This company was recommended to me from a guy whose uncle did it for a living and used them. I also saw cars consigned to dealers from the same company when I was collecting my car. I would definitly recommend them as they deal with 35 auction houses all around Japan and I found then to be very professional.
    Dont let any one try to convince you that importing your self is anything other than very simple, it is.
    I have just done it and am very pleased with the way things went and my car.
    Glad to give anyone the detailed run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

@Breffo what car did you take in?also how long is it taking now for delivery from port to port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 breffo

Eireal, nothing too fancy, a Mitsubishi RVR. I am very pleased with it so far, bit heavy on the juice, especially seeing the way petrol price is climbing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnee

Just wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations for Japanese models?

I'm interested in the idea of importing because Ive heard the Japanese models have better safety features and add-ons, and also that they depreciate much faster, so they should be better value in the 2000-2004 range Id ideally be looking at.

However, Im only looking for something in the cheap-to-midpriced range as I cant afford anything flash or high-performance - would it still be worth my while importing?

And - given my very limited knowledge of Japan-only models - are there Japanese models that people have especially favourable reports on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Would I be right in saying that Jap cars have to run on a higher grade of petrol that what we have here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They don't have to be run on it, no. Most if not all run on our unleaded without any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

someone here says that you cant register a post 2000 japanese import....

Well there is a 05 Toyota Harrier driving around. The things that stood out
    was it was black with all emblems changed to Lexus and it had that wing mirror fitted on the passenger side front wing. On the rear was the
    hinges for the number plates, only visible close up and black too, and Harrier appeared on the wind deflectors. Im guessing it was only a few months old when sold here. It has been around since last May so must have been sold new in Japan probably January or February. Not sure how much and not sure even if its legal to change from Toyota to Lexus as regards the badging.

Last week I saw a 06 Toyota, this time a Landcruiser Amazon and again featured that wing mirror on the front wing. Im certain it was a japanese
    import but no other info available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveball

Hi I bought a car for my wife a 02 yaris with 32000km cost me 4200 euro from http://www.ibcjapan.co.jp, this includes all the shipping and insuarnce, I have a price of 1600 for the vrt bringing the car up to 5900,
    do I have to pay vat as well what do u reckon it will cost me in the end, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It depends on how the dealer operates, it's up to them whether they give you a price that includes duty and VAT or not, likewise with VRT. At that price, I'd be inclined to say they haven't included it, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

Hi Daveball,

You will have to pay duty of 10% on €4200 = €420
    then add VAT @ 21% to 4620 = €970.2
    Total = 4200 + 420 + 970.2 = €5590.2
    Then add €1600 = €7190.2

I would advise you to employ a customs agent fo 70 euro. They will handle all the paper work and clear the car with the customs. Then either employ a car transporter (€120)or pick the car up yourself, depending where you live. I'm from Cork, so got the car delivered to my door. Depends on how busy you are too.

Let me know how you get on with IBC japan. I was thinking of using them but they didn't have what I wanted. They might be good for some other car in the future.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viccirc

Stephen, cheers for all the info regarding your buy...

Have been in touch with Tony from japaneseusedcars.com - very informative and quick with replies.

Does anyone knpow about having the car insured while going from docks to VRO to sort the VRT? Has anyone done this or is a transporter abs necessary. Thought Id ask before raising any flags with my insurance.

If I proceed with the buy would hope to pick up ad sort VRT same day - and get a reg number that day. Its just the trip between docks and VRO...

Any info or advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

viccirc wrote:
    Does anyone knpow about having the car insured while going from docks to VRO to sort the VRT? Has anyone done this or is a transporter abs necessary. .

some companies will do it by chassis number of the car which you can get from the import guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Hi Daveball,

Then either employ a car transporter (€120)or pick the car up yourself, depending where you live. I'm from Cork, so got the car delivered to my door. Depends on how busy you are too.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

You wouldn't have the contact details of that transporter Stephen plz? Have a car coming in myself & am looking for same, cheers;)

Ciccirc,

I'm with was with Hibernian at the time and they would not point blank insure my car without a reg number. My uncle got a loan of company plates and we drove it to the VRO. I'd be surprised if any insurance company would insur on chassis even though it is physically imprinted on the car. It's just rubbish.

Tanabe,

Look up Crosbie transport on the Golden pages. They brought my car from Dublin docks to my door in Cork. 120 notes plus VAT. Ask him to do it for cash. Very good to deal with.

Thanks for that Stephen;)

Does anybody know can you get the VRT done on your vehicle anywhere near the port in Dublin? I'm thinking: get it done, drive home myself?

You will have to bring the vehicle to the VRO where they may decide to inspect it. They won't come to you.

Yes I'm aware of that, my question is where is the nearest VRO from the port in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shao khan

Is it possible to write up different details on a car thats important from japan. I want to get a 2000cc MR2 and would like to change:the log book to 1600cc for insurance purposes. Does anyone have any experience of this?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

shao khan wrote:
    Is it possible to write up different details on a car thats important from japan. I want to get a 2000cc MR2 and would like to change:the log book to 1600cc for insurance purposes. Does anyone have any experience of this?:confused:

lol, if you ring mr. troll he`ll sort it for ya!

• Advertisement

shao khan wrote:

It's muppets like you that give the rest of us a bad name. For a start your car can be inspected to confirm that the details match what the car actually is ie. cubic capacity etc.

Secondly if you insure a car under the assumption that it is only a 1.6 when it is a 2.0ltr guess what happens if you have an accident? You have NO COVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Tanabe wrote:
    Yes I'm aware of that, my question is where is the nearest VRO from the port in Dublin?

Santry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brianpat123

Hi,
    I am in the process of buying a car from www.westpark.jp? Is it ok to trust them? Has anyone bought from them?

Thanks
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fredjunior191

Hello everyone,please i do need a quick adviced on a matter..i am buying a car from a japan from a company call AUTO TRADING ROCK, did anyone ever heard of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

hmm...

Advertisement