Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Movie Maker to Mac?

• 25-08-2005 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey all,

I made a movie on Windows Movie Maker. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to burn that to my external DVD burner. The software I had to convert it said it couldn't!

Now I have a mac with a burner I can work. I've loaded the movie onto my ipod but it comes up as a document file on my MAC.

Does anyone know is it possible to get this file working on a MAC. I was told before I bought it that all my media files would be transferrable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As far as I'm aware, they lied to you. Macs read quick times.... and probably a few other formats. Most of wihich Windows can read. However, macs are fairly crap at reading non-mac formats. You can probably google some mac utility that will let you read it..... maybe. I'm not a mac person.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

you can get a windows media player for mac, and this will play all or most files which your PC Can play. Yet another ploy by windows and microsoft to take over the world!

there is another windows vid player available for the mac and this can be got here...

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=vlc&tg=dl-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

stupefly wrote:
    Hey all,

I made a movie on Windows Movie Maker. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to burn that to my external DVD burner. The software I had to convert it said it couldn't!

Now I have a mac with a burner I can work. I've loaded the movie onto my ipod but it comes up as a document file on my MAC.

Does anyone know is it possible to get this file working on a MAC. I was told before I bought it that all my media files would be transferrable.

Thanks

Would i be right in assuming that the file extension on your movie is .wmv. if so you need to look for a programmme that will convert wmv to mpeg2 (which is the format for dvd) then depending on the software you are using you should be able to burn it using your external dvd burner. It's possible that the qulaity of the video will degrade when you convert it to mpeg2, it may not be noticeable.

[snip] emm so you can edit a wmv on a mac.... my apologies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pgernon

Hello

You CAN edit wmv on mac with no loss of quality I recomend flip4mac. Its a great program and well worth the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Lump wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, they lied to you. Macs read quick times.... and probably a few other formats. Most of wihich Windows can read. However, macs are fairly crap at reading non-mac formats. You can probably google some mac utility that will let you read it..... maybe. I'm not a mac person.
    John

That is so, so wrong. Mac can read far more formats than Windows. Just download Windows Media Player for Mac and your Mac will be able to work with .WMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

See my non-mac-ness came through. However I did say you could get a mac utility that'll let you read them :) Covering my stupid back.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stupefly

This is really driving me crazy!

I'm thinking of importing the unedited footage to my new computer and editing it all over again. Which I really don't want to do.

It's a .MSWMM file, not .wav. Does this make sense to anyone. Its like its still a project file, not a movie file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stupefly

Ignore that post, I've figured it out. Found a way to convert it to DV-AVI (PAL).

Thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ohhh... good god. MSWMM files aren't even the video files themselves, you just saved the actual editing information and not the video itself... grrr. No wonder it comes up as just a document on the Mac. Anyways use proper video editing software, like Adobe Premier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Achilles wrote:
    Anyways use proper video editing software, like Adobe Premier.

How much does that cost? Is it better than Final Cut Pro? Im thinking of splashing out on some editing software.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pgernon

Adobe Premier is defo not better than FCP. Go either FCP or AVID or you are going for cheap crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

you can get a windows media player for mac, and this will play all or most files which your PC Can play. Yet another ploy by windows and microsoft to take over the world!
    The same way that Quicktime and iTunes are available for the PC? An example of Apple trying to take over the world?

I'd recomend against using the WMV format regardless of it's origins, it's just not very good. If you're more familiar with a Windows system then go with Premiere over Final Cut Pro. In my experience neither one has any real advantage over the other, they just work a little differently to one another. PCs and Macs are no better than one another when it comes to video editing no matter what any zealots on either side tell you. Just choose whichever you're most comfortable with and stick with that.

That said if you're a beginner there's plenty of more budget routes you can take that are worth trying. Pinnacle Studio being one of them. Assuming you aren't planning on pirating that is...

Advertisement