Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Books?

• 26-08-2005 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Autobiograpies and Miscellanious, What do ya reccomend?

Im particullarly interested in good non WWE released Auto-Biographies

Does anyone know If Vader has one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's book is an excellent read, I'd highly recommend it. Unfortunately I lent my copy of it to someone and haven't seen it for a while.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

For me, ya can't beat Mick Foley's two biographies, granted they are WWE authorized but Mick still shots from the hip in them, they don't appear to be toned down in any way by Vince etc.

But then again, the only person Mick doesn’t appear to get on with is your mate Nature Boy, so maybe you won't be interested after all.
    But seriously, he's had an interesting career and unlike a lot of other wrestler’s biographies that are either ghost written or just plain crap, Mick is actually a talented writer. (His non wrestling novel "Tietam Brown” is quite good too)

Aside from him, the best non -wwe authorized book I’ve read is WrestleCrap
    By R. D. Reynolds, Randy Baer. As the name suggests, this is a run down of the very worst and unbelievable wrestling gimmicks, characters and storylines, very funny stuff. Wrestling fans will already know of a lot of the stuff in it, but the way the guys write about it is hilarious.
    Plus, by the time the books finished and they've gone through everything, they've given a pretty good recap of the last 20 odd year history of the WWF/WWE, from the time Vinny Mac took over from his Pop, right through to the WCW takeover and the HHH/Steph influence of today.

Aside from, for a real synical and bitter view of the whole industry, read Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington's book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

The Death of WCW by the same people who did the Wrestlecrap book is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i wasn't too impressed with Mick Foleys second book, it was a bit too preachy and the whole violence case study was boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ric_Flair

Yeh Ive read the two Foley books, I enjoyed them a lot from a literarry point of view as I was so impressed that Foley wrote them both himself without a ghostwritter

Wrestle Crap is also a good one so Ive heard my friend has it so i'll borrow it

I refuse to read the Dynamite Kids one, because I remember around the time of its release a wrestling magazine was advertising how to buy it by post, and I sent my money and waited 28 days, and nothing ever arrived in the post... (if your reading this Tom Billington, I want my money back!)

How Informative is the Death of WCW?? Like is it aimed at new fans who may never have watched the old WCW, or will people who really did watch the Monday Night Wars enjoy the book aswell??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

The Death of WCW book has history that starts in the eighties but it is mainly reports on the monday night wars. I quite enjoyed the book (I never knew much about WCW).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Malorkus

Dynamite Kid's book is the best, with Flair's coming in a close 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

F.A.O GIMMICK

Hulk Hogan has a book out these days........

Sorry couldnt resist.

Seriously tho ive found Foleys books hard to beat because he wrote them entirely himself. No ghostwriters involved so ya know its all from the heart whereas the ones iv read with ghostwriters involved,while bein somebit good, ya can smell the cheese off it.
    Foley actually has a very good passage in one of his about how he rejected a ghostwriter on his one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

One of the people I used to go to wrestling with recommended Ric Flairs autobiograpies.
    He told me some of stuff in it and it sounds like class stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I had Mick's first one on tape, read by the man himself, which was pretty funny as he did impersonations of all the people, like vince and Flair.. pretty enjoyable listen.. lost all but the first tape though, which kinda sucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The Dynamite Kids book is not particularly well-written, as it is clearly written by a ghost-writer which always takes away from books. However, it is still a great read. That guy has some really cool stories to tell. Very depressing though.

Advertisement